1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Road Worn Stratocaster in Olympic White

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rhh7, Jun 1, 2015.

1. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

I have been wanting one of these for many years. Picked this one up today at my local Fender dealer. This Strat weighs 6 lbs 12 oz. It sounds great, and it has a chunky neck. This will be a keeper!

Attached Files:

MrGibbly likes this.
  2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice - congrats!

3. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

They're great guitars. I've got a 2 tone sunburst RW Player strat and it's the lightest of my 3 strats. Sounds great as well. Does yours have the Tex Mex or Texas Special pickups?

4. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

I believe these are Tex-Mex.

richey88 likes this.
  5. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

I've only read great things about the RW line. Enjoy this great guitar! (I'd switch the pg and knobs etc to mint or tortoise).

Another good thing is they are painted with nitro and not polyurethane so they age nicely. Both my strats are poly and allthough I mistreat them the paint just chips... :(

6. Del Pickup

Yup, the nitro finish on these is really nice - very thin and has a lovely feel. So much nicer than the thick poly coating on other models.

Although, when I got the guitar, the fender spec on the RW claimed that the bridge pickup was wired to a tone control, it actually wasn't and the bridge pup could be fairly trebly (to say the least). I eventually got round to de-soldering the one wire on the switch and moved the tone control over to the bridge pup and, man, what a difference. It's so much more useable now that I can dial the tone back a bit.

7. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Yep, I have a master volume, master tone (bypassable) and bridge/neck blender pot on both my strats.

I wonder why this wiring isn't standard...

moosie likes this.
  8. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Tele-Meister

Nice guitar (I second a mint pickguard, though, maybe aged plastic knobs and covers, too)?

9. Del Pickup

I think the black guard looks fine on the white body. But some white or parchment pickup covers would add some visual contrast.

10. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Nice score! I haven't played a RW or a CS relic but I know I love the feeling of a well worn neck and have sanded the necks on my guitars to get a satin feel.

Do you like the way the neck and fretboard edges feel? Is there a noticeable difference from a pristine AM strat? Have you or anyone reading ever compared a RW with a CS strat?

I'm debating between buying one of these or building a partscaster with CS parts over time as a means to get a CS guitar on a budget. That guitar looks nice enough to make me want to go the RW route.

BTW - I've got an American Special now that I'm fond of so no reason to believe I wouldn't love a RW.

11. Del Pickup

I've got a CS Clapton strat which has a soft V neck with a satin 'urethane' finish (not sure what the difference is between polyurethane and urethane - apart from the fact that the finish feels thinner).

I've also got a RW strat with the bare unfinished neck. This has what I think is more a C shaped neck.

They're both comfortable to play. I tend to take a Scotch pad over the urethane finish of the Clapton strat every once in a while as the satin finish tends to gloss up with use and the Scotch pad gets it back to a satin feel. I've had this guitar for 10 years now and the finish on the neck is still 100% intact and not started to wear through in any places.

The raw neck on the RW strat is only now starting to look a bit worn in places (I've had it for about 18 months but don't play it every single day).

The nitro finish on the RW strat is super thin and has got its fair share of nicks and dings in the 18 months but it looks very natural in the way its wearing. I'd also say that the RW is probably the lighter of the two guitars (although the Clapton has the added weight of the 9v battery to operate the active electronics).

If I had to decide between a RW or custom shop relic strat now, I'd probably lean towards the RW for the simple reason of cost. From my experience with this guitar it's very well made and plays and sounds as good as any other strat.

The only (very minor) niggle might be that the RW uses the narrower MIM/MIJ bridge which isn't easily swapped for the more 'vintage correct' US bridge. But, then again, if you don't have an issue with that, then that's not a problem.

12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Very nice!

13. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

What's a Scotch pad and where can I get one?

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nice guitar

15. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

16. Del Pickup

Scotch pads are those washing up pads with the soft sponge on one side and the harder green pot scouring material on the other side - about 4" x 3" in size.

Maybe there's another name for them in other countries.

The pot scouring material is ideal for buffing up finishes as it's nowhere near as coarse as steel wool or sandpaper.

17. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

18. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Thanks guys! We do have Scotch brites here in Greece, I'll give it a try.

19. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

I just did the ScotchBrite thing. Huge difference! The blue pad didn't remove any material so I moved on to the green pad that did the job.

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Zombie thread alert, this just in:
    IMG_0022.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.