Road Worn Refinish advice

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by gavquinn, Jun 17, 2019.

1. gavquinn

gavquinn TDPRI Member

Thinking to respray my road worn tele in olympic white. It's a blonde body.

What's needed here? They say it's nitro but seems very tough, could I possibly just spray over the existing coat?

Could I sand with 320 to prep, then proceed or do I need to do more?

Part of me thinks to get a replacement white body and sell this body. Break even.

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

1. Whether to strip or to use the existing finish as a base/primer:

Is the road worn relic'd at all? if so the wear spots would not be a good base for color on top, and you'd need new primer on there. If it's smooth you can put color over it so long as the finish is compatible and you degrease it.

2. Whether to scuff sand first:

You would not need to sand the old coat first if you're putting nitro over nitro; it will "burn in" by partially melting the old coating. It's only if it's poly(-ester or -urethane) that you'd need to scuff sand in order for the next coating to adhere.

3. "They say it's nitro...":

Try a bit of lacquer thinner on a rag someplace under the pickguard and see if the existing finish is nitro.

4. Whether to swap or to refinish:

Yes the best way to change the color of your guitar is to get another body that's already the color you want. But where's the fun in that?

You might want to ask the mods to move this to the "finely finished" section, or post there with more questions once you've figured out what kind of finish you have on the guitar.

3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Gee, it's a shame to paint over all that fake wear and imaginary history. Seriously -- I'd do it in a minute. What you do depends on what kind of result you want. If you're looking for perfect, then you'll need to do lots of prep to get the right, smooth surface. If it just need to be white, and some dings, etc. are OK, then that's much easier. Personally, I would check for nitro, and if that's what's there, I would sand to the smoothness I wanted and then build up white.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.