1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rivera-era Fender amps club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by JDaveG, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Last year I rescued a Fender 75 from the dump. It has busted on/off , standby, 75/25 switches and no foot switch. I took the chassis out and tested the 15" speaker and it sounded great through a friends Valve Jr. I'm not great with amp repair so it just sits in my closet apart until I can figure out what to do with this behemoth. I use a couple of Pro Jr's that weigh in at 20 LBS. I don't want to give it up because it's hand wired and has a massive reverb can and all the tubes are intact. Anyhow I have one that isn't useable at the moment.

2. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Well, today, on a whim and at the last minute after some furious research, I bought an "old" Fender amp.

It's a Fender Concert, sold as 1982 (but serial number may indicate 1984, and the transformer ends with 4-13, which is the year 4, with week 13 build, so 1984), Paul Rivera era, point to point wired. I got it for a great price, especially in the UK. It is in almost mint condition cosmetically, has the original cover and is almost unmarked. The speaker type is an Eminence according to the #67 code.

It has one or two issues - the 2nd channel has almost no sound (it was sold as needing a full revalve as it still has the original valves) and the footswitch is a 2 button aftermarket. But the clean channel and reverb that works fine sound great!

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brian

3. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful amp.
    Congrats.

4. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

I actually just became a part of this club 2 weeks ago :) picked an 83 concert II for $150! Its a 1x12 in decent shape with original switch but thw original speaker was changed at the house of guitars 10 years ago... it has an electro harmonix speaker in it now but it sounds amazing! I like it more than my prosonic! Its become my favorite amp :D

5. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

Wow , great deal, almost a gift , congrats! :D

6. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

Beautiful, congrats! ;)

7. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Here's a pic. I totally forgot to post one :p

Attached Files:

8. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Joining in with a Super Champ and a Deluxe Reverb 2. Used to own the Princeton too but let that go a year ago or so...

Nice amps for sure but the Super champ is currently leading a quite uneventful life... Although nice it may get passed on since it gets very little time...

9. cannedheat67

cannedheat67 TDPRI Member

I guy I used to jam with 20 years ago lefy his amp at my Dad's house and hasn't come back to get it, it is aChamp II. So am a member of the club as a caretaker. I haven't been able to locate him so I thought I would clean it up, put in new tubes and give it a whirl. I was surprised by how early it broke up and the tone had a lot of sizzle. I had to keep the tone controls very low and turn down the tone control on my guitar to control it. Is this normal of is there somthing else wrong with the amp? I had a super champ years ago and remember it being a little bright, but nothing like this.

10. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

I didn't even know I needed one of these here Paul Rivera amps:

[​IMG]

Until I played it and fell in love with the sweet clean sound, then I had to have it. I believe it's a 1983, just gone through by a vintage amp tech. Wee bit heavy, I've gotta make a nice sturdy amp stand for this to sit on until the estate sale....;)

donnyrocker likes this.
  11. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Tele-Afflicted

I have an 83 Concert that I bought new in 1985. As others have said, great clean channel and reverb. This is not a bedroom amp.;) It doesn't start to sound good until you're on at least 4 on the clean shannel with the master volume dimed. Starts to really sing about 7.:cool: I have found the distortion channel useful. I keep the Bass at 0 to 1, Mid Control about 7 with Mid Boost on, Treble about 7, Volume about 7, Gain 4 to 7, and Master Volume dimed. Did I mention that this amp is loud?:lol:

12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Yeah they are loud, I have one , had it since they came out, 12 " speaker stock except replaced tubes after they word out, groove tubes all around. Sounds great clean and can wake the neighbors a couple miles away if turned up a little. I use the clean channel mostly with the volume at 7 master at 4 low power and it rocks, if you boost mids and treble it just blooms and kicks out the sound , can get all kinds of feedback at low volume too with the lead channel, great amps just very misunderstood. Tweaks are done very slowly and the classic fender sound is in there, can cover a lot of ground with this one if you're patient with your controls!

13. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Currently own a Deluxe Reverb ii and a Super Champ. Used to have a Princeton II but that one moved on.

I used to have this silly vision on having a Rivera amp pyramid with a Twin Reverb II at the bottom, and a Concert, Deluxe, Princeton and Super Champ on top.

I have since let go of that stupid idea :lol:

Do like the two amps I have though!

14. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Going to be joining the club soon, just picked up an 83 Concert. It should be here next week.

Looks to be all stock, with footswitch, and it is coming loaded with the 12" EVM. Somehow I am thinking this will be kinda loud.

Time to start thinning out the herd.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.