1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rivera-era Fender amps club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by JDaveG, Sep 10, 2009.

1. tubetone

tubetone TDPRI Member

I've got a Super 60 head, which has a very nice clean sound but the distortion channel is so much louder that there is no way to switch between them as you're playing, a real shame because other than that I really like it! tt

2. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I just managed to find a Super 210 as well. I haven't put it through it's paces yet though.

[​IMG]

3. marley jr

marley jr TDPRI Member

Fender Concert Amp?

Hello and Happy New Year!
    Hopefully I'll be looking at a 1984 Concert 112 this weekend. Never played through one. Any pics or info from anyone would be great as I've never seen one of these before.
    Thanks

4. lioncommandking

lioncommandking Tele-Meister

Marley jr. if you go to Youtube and type "Concert II Clean Channel you will see and hear a clip of a 2x10 using Weber speakers. Then click on "more by Lioncommandking3", and there is a sample of the overdrive channel. Clips aren't that good but they'll give you an idea of what it looks and sounds like.

5. Knobby

Knobby TDPRI Member

Oh boy the Rivera's!

I've had a Princeton Reverb II, Super Champ, and a Concert from the era. Wow. Fun amps that were steals used.

I have to disclose that they are all gone now, but I did like them, and if I spot another on CL for a song, I may own another! Ha.

Found a pic of the Princeton:
    [​IMG]

6. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

4x10 Concert - I believe an '82. Got it from one of Sue Tedeschi's guitarists who was an ES-345 player.

8. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

A buddy of mine had one for years. I thought it was one of the most God-awful sounding amps ever. Really not one of Rivera's better designs.

9. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

10. Pretty Thing

Pretty Thing Tele-Meister

What are some favorite replacement speakers for the originals in the Twin Reverb II?
    I'm looking for something tight throughout the spectrum without sounding muddy.

Of course, pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

I'm interested in this too. I have a 1-12 Concert, but I'm definitely replacing the speaker, and I may re-house it as a head/2-12 cab. Either way, I'd love to hear suggestions. I like the Tone Tubby in my Deluxe clone, so I may go with 2 Cannabis Rex's.

12. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

I used to own a Super Champ and foolishly sold it. The Rivera Fenders are my faves and this is the top of the line for me, Deluxe Reverb II. It's got the perfect size/weight/sound ratio. I replaced the speaker with a Weber Sig 12B (perfect application) and was doing a little tube rolling when I took this pic :D

[​IMG]

13. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

The 75 (and the 30 and the larger one--135?) are great amps, but Rivera had nothing to do with them--they're Ed Jahns' designs.

14. tiktok

Great amp, but also non-Rivera. Paul was excised from Fender and the red knob amps are clean page designs.

15. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Maybe you could list the models and year that are Rivera era...that would be quite usefull...:rolleyes:

16. tiktok

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Rivera was involved in Fender amp design 1981-1985. The tube amps he worked on were the Super Champ, Champ II, Princeton Reverb II, Deluxe Reverb II, Twin Reverb II and the Concert (confusingly with no "II", although it's obviously the same species, although apparently Bill Hughes had a hand in it--maybe that's the reason). That's it. The Rivera-era solid state amps were designed by Bill Hughes (ex-Ampeg) and Bob Haigler (long-timer who worked on the Zodiac series of Fender SS amps).

Rivera also had a hand in the conception of the solid state amps of that era--the London, Montreux Showman and such, although the design was done by Bob Haigler and Bill Hodges (apparently having the initials "B.H." was a requirement in Fender Amps at that time...). None of the "Rivera-era" amps have red knobs, and none of the RK tube models are left over from that era. While I've never been able to find a specific, explicit mention of who designed the Super 60, the RK Dual Showman and the Champ 12 were done by Mark Wentling, formerly of Music Man, with input by Hughes. Wentling, Hughes and Haigler also did the SS "Fast Four" of that era. Remember, Rivera gets purged from Fender after the buy-out because he was backing a rival buy-out offer. Rivera's designs were old school PTP, were expensive to make, and apparently not very profitable for Fender, although they were well-received.

The name that I've never seen crop up in published history of Fender amps regarding the red knob is "Paul Rivera". What I have seen is that Fender wanted to make a clean break with the Rivera designs, and that the red knob amps were designed by people other than Rivera. If anyone has documentation that suggests otherwise, I'd love to see it. I'm not dissing RK amps, but for the sake of historical accuracy I'd like to stick to what's been documented.

17. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. :cool:

18. Mountaintwanger

Mountaintwanger Tele-Meister

How can you tell if a Fender amp was made by Paul Rivera?...How can you tell what year a fender amp was made? I have a Fender concert 112 silver grill that I think was made in the early 80s but I just dont know how to tell what year it was made?...

19. InyoTim

InyoTim Tele-Meister

I have a Super Champ and a Twin Reverb II head and 4x12 cab. Both have the footswitch. The Champ is pretty much stock except for a Celestion Gold alnico. I've done a bit of tweaking on the Twin, nothing major; just trying to get a more Blackface sound on the clean channel. The 4x12 cab has Kendrick blackframes.
    I just did a cap job on the Super Champ the other day. It sure is close quarters inside. There are a lot of components crammed into a very small space.

20. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

Presently own a Princeton reverb II ,that I bought a few years ago used for $279.!
    Put an Eminence Red white & blues speaker in it ,sounds awesome.
    In 1982 I bought a new Concert, unfortunately I sold it a few years ago, I'm still kicking myself for it!:mad:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.