1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rivera-era Fender amps club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by JDaveG, Sep 10, 2009.

1. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

Can't believe no one has started this one up yet. I scored a Susan Boyle edition (looks terrible, sounds wonderful) '85 Concert this week.

[​IMG]

Anyone know where I can get a faceplate for this thing (either original or repro)? Larry Rogers doesn't make them and doesn't know where to get them.

2. lioncommandking

lioncommandking Tele-Meister

I'm glad you did this man. I started to. I also have the 1983 Concert II. Great cleans,channel switching, and great distortion/overdrive. Strange though, I got mine with 2 Peavey Scorpion 10s. I'm pretty sure those weren't the originals, so put in a pair of Eminence Ramrods. No mods and she is tone to the bone. Would post pics but my computer doesn't seem to want to upload pics or video. Great amp!

3. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

Mine is the 1-12 version, and I believe it has the Eminence (it says "Fender Special Design" on it, and the voice coil is not vented). I've heard good/bad about this speaker, but I seriously like it in this particular amp.

4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Agreed. I have a Princeton Reverb II that I love. I've posted pics before, but I'll post another when I put the re-finished hardware back on it.

5. JamesL

JamesL Tele-Meister

Indeed I own a mint Princeton Reverb II that I think sounds wonderful.......

6. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

I understand that the Fender 75 was one of the first Rivera designs...it was devised to compete with the Mesa Boogie I believe.

A seriously loud amp... :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It came in 1 x 12" and 1 x 15" versions. This one is a 15". :cool:

7. lioncommandking

lioncommandking Tele-Meister

How would you describe the tone of the Fender75 clean and dirty. Is the clean more blackface or tweed type? Tight or flubby bass? Highs? Do you typically use the dirty channel or a pedal with it?

8. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

I think I'd characterise the clean as being Blackface...it's very ballsy and fat. It breaks up pretty early to a really nice controlled crunch.

Like a lot of Fender amps, the distortion channel is pretty hard to control and get a great sound however. I understand from some of the HArmony Central reviews that it can be done, but personally I prefer to run a Tubescreamer in front.

9. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

I go back and forth a bit, but I prefer pedal dirt with the Concert, too. You can get a nice, tweedy distortion out of it, but it will never be a Marshall or Boogie, and I was used to using pedals over a clean tone with the Deluxe anyway.

10. Jett

Jett Tele-Meister

82 Super Champ with hard to find foot switch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

I had a Fender 75 1x12 combo for over 20 years. The clean sound was fine, the overdrive channel was horrendous. :( The really unique feature was how they managed to get an amp about the size of a Princeton to actually weigh more than most Twins. :rolleyes: It was always funny to watch someone try to pick it up the first time as their arm would nearly get pulled out out the socket.. ;-) I put wheels on mine. -- CS

12. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

Awesome, A Rivera Era club!

I have an 83 Twin Reverb II 105W that I've had since 89. A seriously loud amp! I've used it for every style of music I could imagine playing. Some have complained that the lead channel is not useful, I have always liked it just fine. I'll add fuzz or overdrive if I feel like it, but it does fine on its own for most applications unless you play heavy rock or metal.

It came with two 12" Fender JBLs with magnets that weighed more than my car. I swapped in Celestions a few years ago for a bluesier sound, but sometimes I miss the JBL bell ringing clarity (but not the weight!).

I'll post a picture when I get around to taking one.

13. Tcoyle

Tcoyle TDPRI Member

I also like the amps from that era I have a Fe..nder 75 Fender 30 fender Concert Deluxe reverb II and a Champ II. Great Amps

14. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

Princeton Reverb II, also.

D.H.

15. Wingherder

Wingherder TDPRI Member

Twin Reverb II here. Purchased new in 1985, complete w/footswitch and cover. Gave 1/2 price, dealer was closing out their Fender inventory.

16. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I just recently scored one of those in a 15" Combo...did some research on them, and while a lot of folks consider them Rivera era...He actually had nothing to do with it much...they were an Ed Jahns design...least that what I read in the Soul of Tone Amp book ??

17. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Well I thought they were the first Rivera design because I had read it somewhere as well, but as they were pretty much the first cab of the rank when they changed from Silverface back to Blackface in 1980, maybe it makes sense that Rivera was not yet at Fender... :confused:

They are an interesting amp because some people hate them with a passion and some people (like me) love 'em. I guess that could be due to the exact type of sound you prefer. ;)

18. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

83 Twin Reverb II

This is a fuzzy pic of my 83 TRII purchased in 89. It originally had Fender JBL E-120s, but I have a Celestion G12 and a G12T in it now.

[​IMG]

19. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

OK, here's another one that may be a Rivera era amp...the Super 60

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

UH-OH! The red knobs are sneaking in :eek:

I've read that these are Rivera designs as well (even if they were made after he left). Bought my Super 210 new, around 1990.

Still pretty much showroom fresh, since I'm primarily a living room player and don't take it out much (usually take a smaller/lighter amp, like my 25R, to friend's homes), but I love it! Clean for days, and sweet... and heavy (I put some casters on it).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.