Rivera Amps Club (Post-Fender Rivera)

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by don jon, Jan 27, 2010.

1. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Honestly prior to yesterday I had no idea what Mr Rivera was doing.
    I went to his web site and looked around, the read the artists list and
    Was really impressed by the peoples names on on the list of artists.
    Then I went to some on line venders selling his products and was impressed
    by what $ 999.99 would buy, when compared to other amps.
    Goes to show, don't it.

2. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I made a modification to my R5512. I wanted to run 6550 tubes in it but when I put them in it was biased way too cold with the bias pot turned up as high as it would go. I called Rivera and talked to them about it, they suggested changing the bias resistor from 1K ohms to 100 ohms. I made the change and was able to bias it correctly.

I set the bias at 80ma I think which might still be a little cold for 6550's but I want to use it this way for a few gigs before I make it any hotter.

I put new production Tung Sol 6550's in it. I was a little worried about the size of them compared to the EL34's but they fit just fine.

3. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Tele-Afflicted

I have had this amp for a couple week's, it's a Rivera Quiana Studio 30 112 that Paul made for a Dealer in Texas. I live in Ma and picked it up from a nice little consigment shop and it was used for church mainly. Sound's about as sweet as they come and I totally dig the half power switch to 15 watts. It's a perfect amp for home and jamming. Currently I have all nice nos glass in the pre amp except for a Sovtek Lps in p.i and I have 2 JJ 6l6gc's but I am actually swapping em today. I had this amp in the amp central section, I had some questions about it at first. Loving the vintage fendery tones and the nice grind I can get. Here are some pics. Oh Celestion Vintage 30 speaker as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. analoglife

analoglife NEW MEMBER!

Reaching way back in this thread - I have a Fandango 100 212, with the same cosmetics, stock speakers, and about 110 pounds of heavy duty mass. I have to plan my transport of the amp around what activities I have in the following days for which a lower right side backache is "inappropriate" .... I have a mover's wheeled platform to get it between points A and B but the stairs are murder. There is *no* sensible setting that I don't find useful on it, incredible amp. I switch off now and then with a Fender Blues Deville 4x10 and/or a Marshall TSL122 but gravitate back to the Rivera.

5. truthoffiction

truthoffiction TDPRI Member

Pubster 25 Schematic Needed

Does anyone have a schematic for a Pubster 25? I'd certainly appreciate it.
    Thanks!

6. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

My trusty, beat up R-100- probably +_500 gigs - stock - finally going in for a recap - for the first time since I bought it new in 1998!
    The bass player in one of the bands I play in has christened it "Diego" ...:D
    Its getting heavy though....or rather Im noticing it as I get tolder.....

7. gnuyu2

gnuyu2 NEW MEMBER!

These are my Riveras: an R100 duo12 and an M60 112. I did the custom work on the cabs. The R100 has the variable ninja boost mod, and a bias switch to quick swap 6l6 and El34 tube sets. I just got the M series, because the R is on loan to a friend in Colorado, and i am in NJ. Also, i only paid $275 for the M60! But man, is it an ugly kicker-box/PA looking cab. Not any more... [​IMG]

image-1586555606.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

My first Rivera is on its way.

I bought my first Rivera today, order from ZZounds, and they shipped it today. I am getting the Clubster Royale 112 55 watts I believe. I got so tired of Fender, and Peavey and Marshall. I tried a Blackstar stage 60 it was okay. But then tried a Rivera Clubster and for me it was like ear candy. This what mine will look like, man I can't wait. I know this is a Tele forum and Fender is King but I just could not take know more Hot Rod anything. And I like Fender amps, I just had to get out of the box and spread my wings if you get my drift.

Attached Files:

9. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

Congratulations, great choice, you'll love it.

10. Gary Mitchell

I have been playing it for about 4 days straight now all day, and I am still in love with it. I have dime the EQ about every way I can think of and I love it. You don't have to turn any knob very much at all to change your sound and I like that. The presence knob interacts real well with the treble, first amp I have ever had where that was a plus. I was a little afraid of the short tank reverb, but again surprised it was very nice rich not like syrup. The clean channel did lean toward a Blackface, but had its own character, piano like a very musical. To me the clean was smoother then a Fender's I've own and played and not as trebly, like I said more piano like. EQ right awesome blues can be played on it. The Overdrive channel some say it sound's sort of like a Marshall, but to me it sound's close to a Hiwatt I use to play and I think it was a Hiwatt Bulldog 212. It's a very smooth creamy overdrive for blues, and you can hear every string not mush up or garbled up very nice. It has a pull boost on it and can get you close to Hair Type Metal which I won't use. This amp can be used by itself with know pedals at all if need be. The only pedals I may use and that is for church only is a chorus and delay. It bother's me and it's just me to see someone by a nice all tube amp then put a cheap transistor od or distortion pedal in front of it, but that's me. I do not work for Rivera and I have Paid $1.599.00 for the amp. I still have 40 days with the store and I can trade it for something for the same amount or get my money back know question's ask. But I am not going to, for me this amp is everything I wanted. I have had dealings with Paul Rivera and his staff before, and they have gone out of their way for me and I am a nobody. And in my opinion they are a company with a lot of integrity which you don't see lot of anymore. Only time can tell but the build quality is remarkable on this amp sound is awesome. As for me it was hard to get a bad sound unless you just truly done it on purpose.

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

And your Royale has the impedance selector and the Send and Return Levels pots. I like to patch the loop, set the Send Level on 5 or 6, and then use the Return Level as a global master. It puts an extra preamp tube in the circuit. And you might try a 5751 in the V1 slot. I am doing this with the Knucklehead 55 and the R55.

12. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Hey I am really close to getting a Rivera, either a Jazz 25 or a Venus 3. I have spotted a few used Venus 3 amps, but they are the older 1st generation. Does anyone know how the new Venus 3 amps differ from the 1st gen? I played my nylon string through a new version of the Venus 3 a while back, and it was darn near the best sound I have ever heard...so I am just curious as to how they compare.

13. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

The only differences mentioned on his site is that they added a foot switch for the boost. Most of the demos on the Rivera web site are version 1 and looks like there is one demo of version 2. The input for the boost switch is on the front so it's easy to tell.

You can also call them, they are pretty good at answering technical questions like that.

BTW, I had a 1X10 version of this amp and still have a 1X12 version, they are great amps, very versatile and reliable.

14. Gary Mitchell

Hi guys its me again been playing my Clubster Royale 112 maybe 20 to 30 hours maybe less. Love the amp but man that Celestion 70/80 sure is not my cup of tea. The highs really stink on it to me. I want it to be clean and it is on the clean channel, but sucks on the dirty channel. I am a Blues,and a little Jazz player also Worship player, but first it has to be clean. I have not gig with it yet, because I have been playing bass a lot for people lately. I used Vintage 30s a lot but I am a little tired of them, I want to change up my sound a little. I am thinking about using a Eminence Delta Pro 12a, and since most you guys use Rivera amps. What do you think this will do for me, high gain is not a big thing for me. This is my first Rivera so I am a little in the dark about them.

15. bluerock

bluerock TDPRI Member

Rivera bonehead

Hi gang, I'm knew here, (1st forum ever) just thought I'd pop in my 2 cents. First I barely qualify by only owning a g&l tribute asat semi-hollow, but I do have about 20 other guitars. I've had a rivera bonehead for about 2 years and only recently "got it". I spent too long trying to get it to sound good or right on low power settings...it just doesn't work! I have to thank someone here, sorry I don't remember who, that gave the fx loop trick. Now my amp is singing to me.

16. gadgetfreak

Can anyone who owns a Quiana tell me if they have a little white noise when amp is idle but standby is on? My amp seem's louder than usual. Sound's like reverb socket is to blame but idk, when I crank reverb she squeals real bad. any thoughts, I got to have a tech look at it but I'm not thrilled about that in my area.Capecod anyone know a good amp tech?

Oh sorry yes I changed tubes to brand new one's like two times over, power tubes as well and biasd properly. Amp sound's amazing and have no problem with tone, you can't even hear the noise shhhh sound when playing but when amp is just sitting there it pisses me off it's this loud on clean channel. Thanks

17. Gary Mitchell

Hey guys its me again. its been about 5 months since I got my Clubster Royale 112. And man have I been playing it, a lot I have been playing it I just love the thing. And something weird or cool, at first me and the Celestion seventy 80 did not hit it off. But I don't know if it broke in are what it mellowed out, maybe I did I don't know. I really like that speaker in it. I was using a Les Paul loaded with Dimarzio 36th anniversary's, but recently bought me a Fender American Special Tele with Texas Special's in it. Man it seems like it was a match made in heaven, the amp and tele rock together. My Rivera Clubster Royale 112 I must say, is the best money I have spent in a long time. That amp is so cool and has made me very happy, and the Rivera people are just wonderful. I just had to get back and tell you about my amp its so cool. I've own a Marshall Blues Breaker 212, and a Vox Top Box, and Played on a Hiwatt Bulldog 212 a lot, in my years. But this is far my favorite amp my Rivera.

18. gadgetfreak

Hey all I have a question, what kind of tubes are you using in your Riveras? I understand V1 really matters and I have some nice tubes I use in that position but I am curious what your putting in for the rest?

I thought I heard Rivera recommending chinese 12ax7's. I like the Tad 6l6gc's, really nice tube. Breaks up well and has a beautiful bold robust tone. Let me know what you like

19. Moot

Moot TDPRI Member

Hi, everyone! This is my first post on TDPRI.
    I'm a big Rivera fan. I've owned a Fandango (best all-rounder I've ever owned), a Knucklehead K-Tre (amazing drive channel, and killer modern-country cleans), a Venus 3 (everything you wished the Super Champ had been, plus more), and now I have a Venus 6 (best clean channel I've ever played. Maybe tied with my old TopHat Ambassador 35 for cleans, but a lot more versatile!)

I swapped the cabinets I'd had between the Fandango (which was a 2x12 combo) and the Venus 6 (which was 1x12.) That was the best thing I did! The Fandango was a much better behaved amp with a single 12, which I found worked best with a Creamback M. The Venus loved having two drivers! After 15 or 16 different combinations of speakers I ended up with one stock 70th anniversary and one Jensen Blackbird. Heaven's own cleans!

Sadly, all this cost way too much for me, so I sold the Fandango, the K-Tre, and the Venus 3. But the Venus 6 is my ultimate amp - especially using the fx-loop to mitigate channel 1's volume. My only minor gripe with the amp is that channel 1 doesn't really sound good until it's too loud for my uses - but the fx/volume trick helped with that.

I'm also going to do the "ninja boost mod." I guess that was my other gripe.

Just for the record, I think the new "Tung Sol" 6V6's are the bee's knees in this amp. For the pre's I'm using a mix of the new "Northern Electric" and "Preferred Series" 12ax7's, all from The Tube Store, in Canada. I've tried it with the new "Gold Lion" tubes, but they go microphonic on me pretty quickly, though they sound good.

The only real caveat is, of course, the weight. It's 79 pounds! Try to get good enough at guitar to justify roadies, or, like me, you'll have to lug this around yourself. But it's worth it.

20. Moot

Moot TDPRI Member

My gut instinct says a Creamback H would be the way to go. I've had such good luck with the Creambacks! For a higher-gain amp I swear by the M Creamback, and the H Creamback is my favourite speaker for cleans/all-rounder. I prefer the H over my Jensen Blackbirds! It was, by far, the best speaker for my Allen Accomplice, and as soon as I can get a pair of them they'll be going in the Venus.

Oh, and congratulations on your new Rivera! It'll probably last you a lifetime!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.