Rita's high school yearbook, 1947.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Aug 30, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was snooping around in a Keystone, South Dakota junk store yesterday, and found this 1947 high school yearbook. Typically, it was filled with school year-end inscriptions and messages from classmates and friends.
    IMG_20190830_101032029_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20190830_101757197_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190830_101337418_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20190830_101351559_HDR~2.jpg

The yearbook had belonged to a high school junior, Rita Crow, who, if still alive, would be eighty-eight years old in 2019, but as I found it in a junk store, it usually means it came out of an estate, so it's unlikely she is still among us.

Rita is seen standing, in the white dress, first row, directly behind the girl seated at the table, lower right...
    IMG_20190830_101529006_HDR~2.jpg

In a casual search, I found that, according to a 1940 census, she was born in 1931, lived with her parents and one sister in the Rapid City area, but that's about all I could find. Males are easier to trace because they don't lose their family names in marriages.

The yearbook was $20 at the junkstore, which I happily paid, but it was, in so many ways, and to so many people, absolutely priceless.
    IMG_20190830_101640643_HDR~2.jpg

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks John. I share your reverence for the "priceless" aspects of life. Great post. I'd love to know more about Rita too but maybe, just maybe, wherever she might be, here or beyond, just the fact that you took the time to show interest in her and share it with us is a fitting memorial to her.

Not only do you design cool instruments you have a bit of the poet in you good sir.:)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So cool! I have a tape made by relatives of an older Jewish immigrant that I found in the dumpster where I worked. Made in the 70's I think, it's his account of his childhood in Russia during the Cossack control and eventual flee with his family by boat to the USA, then the eventual growth of a business here.

It's so amazing the details and the survival instincts of these immigrants. I digitized it and tried to find remaining family members and no one really cares. So sad to lose what seems to me to be a brilliant spoken history of an amazing family!

I share your appreciation for these treasures! Nice find!

4. John Backlund

This is an amazing photo out of the yearbook of a group of WWII veterans who apparently held meetings at the school. A lot of them still look like high school kids themselves...
    IMG_20190830_105159541_HDR~3.jpg

With Korea looming in just a few years, no doubt, many of the 1947 classmates seen in this book will also soon be in uniform.

DonM, skunqesh, ojaverde and 7 others like this.
  5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

A generation that lied (about their age) so they could serve their country, rather than lie to get out of it. Some probably were high school students AFTER the war.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have my Dad's high school annual from Paris Texas 1945.

image1 (4).jpeg

DonM, Shuster, JayFreddy and 4 others like this.
  7. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

My mother died this past January and when going through her yearbooks, I found that she and Joe Lieberman (former Senator and VP candidate) were friends. (He was a year ahead of her.) He wrote a very nice passage in my mom's yearbook.

8. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I just love these kind of posts! History that is everyday life. Wonderful! Thanks!

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Rita is/was my mom’s age - born in ‘31. Very cool document.

Gross oversimplification. I would have lied about my age to enlist during World War II. And, I would’ve lied to get out of service during Vietnam if I was of age. And I guarantee you there were faaaaar fewer biting at the bit to enlist during the Korean War than there were in WWII.

I salute em all. Two uncles in WWII, one shot down, old man in Korea, one grandpa in WWI.

beyer160, stevemc, Shuster and 8 others like this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

My ex-wife’s maiden name is Crow but I ain’t calling her...

11. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Thank you for this post JB. Lots to consider. Interesting presumption that HS days would be the best times of their lives.

Inscriptions in fountain pen, pre-ball point. Pre-television in every house too. Those teenagers were born in the late 1920s and early ‘30s, and lived during The Depression and WWII. Consider their childhoods and the changes they saw.

As to veterans, the GI Bills for education and house loans helped to build the US middle class and post-war prosperity

I have my mother-in-law’s and her sister’s yearbooks from a long closed LA area Norwalk HS from about the same time, having been their executors, plus dance cards and literary mags. Everyday history.

My early ‘60s HS yearbooks seem reflections of a long-gone period. Closer in time to The Pine Cone than to the present.

12. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Amen to that. My Dad was a beneficiary of both after his family lost most of what they had during the Great Depression.

Shuster, JayFreddy and John Backlund like this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I love these kind of post! But if you read carefully below the picture it says that 35 WWII veteran were ENROLLED in the school. These guys went to war, came back and resumed high school classes. Can you imagine that! They did earn that "greatest generation" billing!

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago my elderly aunt stopped in a dusty old junk store in west Texas and found a picture of her toddler-self in a little wagon with a peirsol (sp? - whatever, the frilly umbrella thing), being pulled by a goat.
    She shrieked and told the owner, This Is Me!

Store owner said, "it's still fifty bucks".

Omiewise65, JSMac, Shuster and 5 others like this.
  15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Gawd! I spewed coffee out of my nose!! That is great. I can just envisioning a guy chomping on a cigar leaning on a sales counter dead panning that line with no enthusiasm at all.

Omiewise65, Shuster and RodeoTex like this.
  16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Black and white pictures have that spooky sort of vibe to me.
    Btw, we don t have yearbooks here.

17. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

“Years ago my elderly aunt stopped in a dusty old junk store in west Texas and found a picture of her toddler-self in a little wagon with a peirsol (sp? - whatever, the frilly umbrella thing), being pulled by a goat.....”

I have a picture of my mother just like that - goat, cart - taken in Ranger, Texas or LA. 1924 is painted on the cart. She would have been five or six years old.

Imagine a guy trudging around neighborhoods with his goat, cart and camera looking for folks wanting pictures of their children.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    John Backlund and RodeoTex like this.
  18. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

P Thought and John Backlund like this.
  19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my mom and dad graduated in 1946

John Backlund likes this.
  20. John Backlund

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.