Ripthorn's 2020 Brotherhood Build - Aphelion: Remnants and Rejects

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

So here is my entry. I called it Aphelion because it's about as far from a "finely constructed" instrument as you can get. The workmanship will still be of a high standard, but it certainly won't be "normal" by most standards.

Friday provided me with a couple hours to get rolling on this, so here is the concept. This is a take on the Danelectro 59. It will have very similar construction and details, but with the a little bit of the Ripthorn flair. The idea is to be basic, straightforward, and budget minded, much like the old Dano's. Here's the design drawing:

[​IMG]

Here are the materials. I have had a big hunk of poplar kicking around that had some knots in it and stuff, so I will use that part as the hollow center part, with resawn clear poplar from the same board for the front and back. The neck and fretboard are both curly maple, left over from two different projects that I did for friends. Pickguard will be leftover aged white material. I'm thinking a metallic orange for the body and some kind of black-ish fretboard dots. Simple is the name of the game, including a top loader bridge.

[​IMG]

Hardware will be black, including lipstick pickups. I will need to make new brackets, since they will be rear mounted like the old Dano's.

[​IMG]

I had previously made the templates:

[​IMG]

So first up is the neck, so that I can figure out where to put the bridge block on the body. My blank is a little narrow for the headstock, but I have enough material to glue on ears. I also thought a 1x5 headstock would be fun and funky and perfectly in line with a build like this.

[​IMG]

After two or three hours of television magic, I had the fretboard slotted and roughly radiused and roughly tapered, the neck had been routed for a truss rod, ear glued on, headstock drilled and routed, neck tapered, and this is where it was left Friday evening. Probably the fastest I have ever gotten to this point with a neck, but when you are doing something really straightforward, it's much faster than the crazy stuff I tend to do.

[​IMG]

Next up is trimming the fretboard, roughing out the body center, gluing on the back, routing the neck pocket, and placing the bridge block.

eallen, ftbtx, guitarbuilder and 8 others like this.
  2. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

This looks like a fun build.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. erix

erix Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Cool shapes and I dig orange for the color!

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Way cool Rip. It’s certainly a pointy guitar! :p

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ooh....I"m going to like this one for sure. Orange...kewel!

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

You haven't said but I'd suggest a 25" scale.Not necessarily an omage to Danos that were but lipsticks sound PRETTY good there :)

Barncaster likes this.
  7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Yep, already rocking a 21 fret, 25" scale fretboard. I figure this guy won't be for shredding, so no need to do 24 frets, and I want to limit potential for neck dive with a hollow body.

Barncaster and crazydave911 like this.
  8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Well, I had a decent amount of time yesterday due to coronovirus stuff to work on this. So first, we mangle some poplar and get the hollow body frame:

[​IMG]

Then I pulled the neck out of clamps, cleaned up the fretboard, drilled for dots, etc.

[​IMG]

I used a brad point bit for the dots, but it was not happy on my 12th fret dots, got some tearout:

[​IMG]

I found a piece of 1/4" UHMW rod in my stash and made a dust/CA patch and let dry overnight, I'll have to see how it looks.

Then, I take my 1/4" thick poplar panel for the back and glue it to the frame with just a couple of clamps:

[​IMG]

After that dried for about an hour or so, I routed the neck pocket and drilled for neck screws so that I could locate the bridge block. Then the bridge block gets glued in:

[​IMG]

At this point I realized that things would result in a very thick finished body, almost 2 1/8", so I thinned the body and top and closed up the body, again with just a couple of clamps:

[​IMG]

Notice how I cleverly flipped it upside down so that glue wouldn't run down the side of the body ;)

That's where things stand for now. I did wet the fretboard and found it to be extremely pale and not showing the figure at all. I played with some dyes, but nothing that I was happy with. I'll continue to experiment and see what happens, but the neck is going to show off some amazing figure!

Up next: trim the top and bottom, round over, locate and drill for the bridge, locate and route for pickups, including figuring out how to do the Dano rear mounting, which I've never done, and thin down the neck, as it is rather thick right now. I wanted that because I am doing a flat headstock and wanted maximum break angle so that I wouldn't need string trees.

9. Jim_in_PA

I'm really liking this technique...it's giving me "ideaz"... LOL

crazydave911 and Ripthorn like this.
  10. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

+1 Oh yeah
    Either all the clamps or all that well fit.
    There still might have been room for a strap clamp on there:rolleyes::D:p:cool:

crazydave911 and LeftFinger like this.
  11. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Did you find the shape shifting after removing all the middle?
    I did one and the front, back, and core all came from the same template but on the glue up the core had shifted its shape and didn't line up as nice as expected.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

None that I noticed. I purposely left top and bottom untrimmed so that I can trim them to fit the frame, then do any fine tweaking as necessary. Also, I cut, routed, and glued the frame to the back all within about an hour's time.

crazydave911 and 2blue2 like this.
  13. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I usually build 15 min a night so...

14. crazydave911

Wanna get that fretboard to higlight? Use a very light coat of clear shellac or Minwax pre stain Conditioner.The effect is more soaking in but it leaves a slight amber tint and highlights the grain if any quite nicely :)

rrobbone and 2blue2 like this.
  15. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

There is fantastic figuring in it, is just not popping. I might try tru oil or similar. I've got lots of options...

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Well, yesterday was incredibly productive in the shop. First off, I trimmed the top and back caps and the laid out the bridge location. I do this using two old kite strings from when the kids were little. This helps me align the high and low E strings so I can be centered to the trajectory of the neck, which is about 1/8" off of the center of the body at the strap button. Not enough to be noticed, but enough to throw off the centering of the strings, for sure.

[​IMG]

After drilling for the bridge, I laid out where everything else would go:

[​IMG]

Then I drilled, routed, and sanded my way to this:

[​IMG]

This is the body ready for finish except for the screw holes for rear mounting the pickups. These pickups came with a mounting plate intended for pickguard mounting, so I had to make up some new brackets. I found some old metal scrap from my scrap bin that was just the right size and came up with a design that would give me enough height and put the mounting screws 2.5" apart. So we start thusly:

[​IMG]

And then we do thus:

[​IMG]

And continue onward for the remaining two bends. Then I drilled holes to mount the pickup and holes for mounting to the body and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

One thing that puzzled me for a little bit was how to correctly drill the holes in the back of the body to mount the pickups. I thought a little on it and came up with a jig that was simple, but works fantastically. This should be fairly self explanatory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another task was to thin down the neck. The neck blank was a good 1 1/4" thick, so I thinned down the heel some and thinned down the rest of the shaft even more. Starting with a blank this thick will give good break angle for all strings over the nut, so no string trees or staggered tuners should be needed. The Saf-T-Plane (knockoff) took care of this. I used my radius beam with 100 grit paper in it to keep it flat and level on the drill press table.

[​IMG]

I also noticed a poor glue line on the treble side of the fretboard:

[​IMG]

This got the wet rag and iron treatment and then clamps. The clamps made a few indentations in the fretboard that required more sanding, but I got that squared away, and then put in some abalone dots.

Now, who doesn't love a good mockup?!

[​IMG]

This is all with only 3 working days on it. I think this is a new record so far. I need to shape the neck and do the frets, finish, and then assemble and rock out.

17. Jim_in_PA

Darn...you are "ripping" through that build and a beautiful thing it is! The style is incredible.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. crazydave911

He DOES have a flair for the weird lol,my hero :D

DrASATele and LeftFinger like this.
  19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

WEIRD?!?! I prefer "original" :)

20. crazydave911

Potato potahto lmao

DrASATele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.