RIP WickedGTR

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Dec 25, 2018.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Terrible news, he was my age. I played Wicked Game last night for my wife and I. Such a beautiful song. I've got his album and will be playing that today. RIP James Wilsey.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same here, but we do have to remember that people who rise above the rest in the arts tend to operate on a different mental plane, where artistic excellence is often coexisting with darker emotional things. It's truly sad that James was one of those who walked that tightrope, but it in no way influences the respect I had for him as an extremely tasteful player AND an exceptionally decent human being.

3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Very sad to hear it and didn't even know he once hung out here. The first time I heard the beautiful, haunting guitar on Wicked Game, it touched me deeply, making me fall in love with the electric guitar all over again. Respects to him, his friends and family.

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's true.

5. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Sad news. I have vague memories of him busting my balls about something here I think in the recording forum.

Cheers,
    Geoff

String Tree likes this.
  6. Tedyjoe1

Tedyjoe1 TDPRI Member

Seemed like a cool guy nice playing nice style. Listening to el dorado now.
    Not everyone looks good playing a strat but suited him perfectly.
    Is it a champagne sparkle strat on the cover of el dorado? Cool as all get out rip

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry to hear it.

8. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

When he was active here on TDPRI, what stood out for me was his sense of humor and his modesty about his guitar skills. He may not have been very versatile, but he did what he did very well. It's handy to have a virtuoso at your side if you're playing requests a wedding or bar mitzvah, but I'd rather listen to a unique stylist like Jimmy who can do their thing like no one else.

I also remember Jimmy's blind spot about The Knack. He refused to believe that they wrote and played on their debut album "Get The Knack," not hired hands. I think this was a fairly common belief on the San Francisco punk scene.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

No, that actually began life as a silver sparkle Strat from the Custom Shop decades ago when he was still with Chris Isaak. It has yellowed with age to that cool champagne that it is now.

Tele295 and Tedyjoe1 like this.
  10. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

RIP JC Wilsey. When Chris Isaac's wicked game record came out I was still living in Chile. It was immensely popular there, and I can only assume it was immensely popular all over the world too. He definitely carved a unique sound for himself, igniting the passion for guitar playing in many of today's guitar players. His legacy will not be forgotten.

GDR

rich815 likes this.
  11. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very sad to hear this...RIP James Wilsey. My copy of El Dorado has been stuck in the broken cd player of my Chevy pickup for about the last 8 years. Gotta try once again to retrieve it.

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

maybe not a common belief, but certainly reflects the respect with which the group was viewed by most of us!

JCW was a fun guy, that's what I remember. The 'scene' was full of less-than-fun people. If you were hanging out at a club waiting for showtime and Jimmy was there, he's the guy you would sit with and pass the time. And he played a Hagstrom bass, which moved him right up the list of cool guys.

13. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Some of his best work...

14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that boy sure did have a feel for what a guitar could sound like.

When C Izaak first showed up on the scene with Silvertone, I was not much impressed. Looked like another jump-on-the-rockabilly-bandwagon following the success of the Stray Cats. My friend and former band-mate drummer was playing with him, I ribbed him pretty hard for following that path. And Jimmy was playing guitar, which was new to me having only known him as the bass.

I think it was Jimmy who put the stamp on the sound. His blend of surf and rockabilly (and maybe that singer's Roy Orbison vibe) really was the thing that made it happen. He had talent, and a "talent-bar", and he knew how to use them!

15. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Been listening to El Dorado all day. What I’d give to have heard one more album that he was supposedly working on.... :(

His playing on Wicked Game one of the first I worked on when learning guitar. But my god his work on these two so terrific:

16. Joel Terry

Joel Terry Poster Extraordinaire

Bullshıt. I know who this "reliable" source is, and he's just the kind of loser who would hallucinate such a despicable if not utterly ridiculous alternate reality.

How pathetic to kick a dead man like that; then again, this is the same delusional halfwit who, to this very day, claims he, rather than Jimmy, wrote and arranged all the tunes on Jimmy's solo album, El Dorado.

17. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Never met the fella, but I hereby pay my respects. Blessings, Mr. GTR.

18. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

It was terrible news for christmas. In November I did my first ever rockabilly show – sang and played Wicked Game there (my wife calls it a "Höschenbefeuchter" – don't ask!) so I was inspired to re-discover Chris Isaak's records. Good singer but as a guitarist I really admire James Wilsey's soulful guitar work which put a stamp on I think the first 4 Isaak albums – always spot on, always serving and elevating the song, never noodling, never a note too much. Such high level artistry and style.
    In the process I discovered his (only?) solo outing El Dorado. Great music for an imaginary film.
    His sound is one of the reasons while I desperately wanted a strat in the 90s – as a jazz student who was supposed to play an archtop or semi. IMHO one of THE iconic and unique styles in pop music – instantly recognisable, melancholic and sexy. I mean wicked game is a nice little three chord song – but what would it be without that guitar?
    It was so sad to hear the news on Christmas that someone who contributed some of the soundtrack of our lifes passed away – much too young. With a little time on my hand during the holidays I listened and read a lot. His life after quitting Silvertone is not well documented, isn't it? I found that interview in which he talks a bit about the time with Isaak and the Avengers and what he did after that: http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015/01/10/james-wilsey-chris-isaak-guitarist/

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Agreed!

Yeah, pretty sad that someone would be so disrespectful. Even if the details related were true, the public doesn't need that sordid stuff. I mean, the guy's not even buried yet

RIP Wicked. You were tops

20. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.