RIP Vinnie Bell.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by edvard, Oct 21, 2019.

1. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

A little late (he passed on Oct 3rd), but deserving of a proper TDPRI send-off nonetheless.

Don't know who he is? He was primarily a studio musician who played on some mighty famous people's records, had a hand in the design of the Danelectro's Coral Electric Sitar and promoted it on his own records, and is the individual single-handedly responsible for the "underwater guitar" sound on "Airport Love Theme" and Ferrante & Teicher's "Midnight Cowboy". He never revealed the secret to anybody, and now it's gone forever.

And he's a damn fine player too, if you can get past the elevator music vibe that a lot of his music has.

SnidelyWhiplash, uriah1, DonM and 7 others like this.
  2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

RIP Mr. Bell, thanks for the music.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

This one makes me sad. Here he is playing my favorite Burt Bacharach composition, "Nikki", which was used (in a different arrangement) for the ABC Movie of the Week theme back in the 1970s. This recording features his underwater sound. Although I already knew his name from the Electric Sitar, I discovered his recordings while managing a used record store in the 1990s.

R.I.P.

But he's probably most famous for the baritone electric guitar part on the theme from Twin Peaks...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

Never heard of him before, so thanks for the introduction.

His solo record is wild and wonderfully wacky:

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks, I had not heard of this legend's passing. :(

In the 1980s I got turned on to "Pop Goes the Electric Sitar," I've been a fan ever since and it's still one of my favorite records (I own the vinyl!). Before that, of course, I was a fan without knowing who he was, loving the aforementioned "underwater sound" heard in the movie themes etc. He inspired me to make my own "electric sitar" (old Teisco with a buzz bridge).

A few years ago his son created a website where I learned more about him: http://www.danacountryman.com/vinnie/main.htm
    Besides a great musician and guitarist, Vinnie was an innovator in guitarmaking and electronics, and seems he was just an all-around delightful guy. R.I.P.

6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Muzak done right imo.
    Thx to the op for the heads up on Vinnies pass. Well played Sir!

GFrank likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.