1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

RIP Sean Connery

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gibson, Oct 31, 2020.

1. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Coolness epitomized. Shaken, not stirred, indeed.

Bill B likes this.
  2. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Truly a master of his craft. RIP Sir Sean.

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Really sad loss. Great actor. So many great roles. The Hill was one of my favorites. RIP.

tweeet and esseff like this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I always liked this:

Jake909 likes this.
  5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I remember when my father would start scanning* the obituaries in the paper and would recognize people he knew personally more and more often. There's some adage about that.
    (*reading through quickly)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  6. johnnycnote

johnnycnote TDPRI Member

Arg... RIP 007

7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Great, isn't it? Ian Fleming, creator/author of the Bond books, apparently modeled his character on some of the legends of the British secret service he came to know or hear of in WWII.

Ben McIntyre has written a number of books about the period and some of the more famoys/infamous people, as well, after a huge set if records were declassified. He has one on Ian Fleming. These are all fun to read if you're into spy history, some more than others.
    http://benmacintyre.com/us/book/for-your-eyes-only-ian-fleming-and-james-bond/

8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

man that is some sad news indeed. damn. i loved him as Indiana Jones' dad. a legend has departed

9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thinking of Highlander ironically, this sad song came to mind.

10. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Mine too. It was an excellent cast throughout.
    Ninety's a good run and he left a long trail of memorable films before the curtain came down.

telleutelleme likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My first encounter with Mr. Bond on the screen was when I went to Las Vegas to get a divorce. I had just landed in Vegas, gotten a room, and a lawyer squared away and went downtown to look around. For some reason, I happened to look at the Marque on the movie theater that used to be there on glitter gulch. Goldfinger was playing, and I thought what the heck I think I'll go see what all the James Bond fuss is about. I was a fan immediately, not only of Sean Connery, but of Bond too. I ended up reading all of Ian Fleming's books about Bond. When Thunderball came out, my new wife and I dressed up to go see it at a nice theater.

I enjoyed Mr. Connery in everything I ever saw him in. I loved that he not only played golf on screen but in real life as well. He was a man's man, and there was never any question about where he stood on anything, because if he was asked he answered. He really did do things his way, and let the world be damned. It's not often that attitude is as handsomely rewarded it was in his case.

posttoastie, gkterry and Ed Driscoll like this.
  12. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

One of the few actors that could compel me to see a movie without regard to subject matter. He was James Bond to me, and no other. Tonight I'll watch my favorite Sean Connery movie in his honor: The Man Who Would Be King

RIP Sir Sean

13. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

In his 1990 book Medium Cool: The Movies of the 1960s, Ethan Mordden wrote of Connery as Bond, “Once in an era there is perfect casting. Greta Garbo as Ninotchka, Margaret O’Brien as Tootie Smith, Johnny Sheffield as Bomba the Jungle Boy—and Connery as 007.”

14. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

heard this morning on npr - what an opportunity to start w/ Dr No and be the second choice. . .

rest in peace, sir

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

now this is just F'd up

16. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Connery may have been the third or fourth choice. The first was Cary Grant, coming off of Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest, the film the Bond franchise was obviously modeled after, but he didn't want to commit to a three picture contract. (And would eventually have become too old if there were more movies beyond that.) The second was Patrick McGoohan, but as a practicing Catholic, he was turned off by all of the sex. Richard Burton also turned down the part. Here's a compilation of "15 Actors Who Could’ve Played James Bond" during the franchise's run.

Deeve likes this.
  17. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

All of the rock heroes dying in succession like Bowie and Lemmy gave me serious flashbacks of seeing my dad looking morose in the morning, after the Today Show announced that guys like Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Bing Crosby had died.

18. Twin52

Twin52 TDPRI Member

One of the greats! Always loved his performances. Bond, James Bond. Cant tell you how many times I have seen those movies. Possibly hundreds. RIP

19. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, I’ve just read the BBC obit. I knew there’d be a mention of it here, too.

R.I.P. Mr. Connery.

Scotland Forever!

20. John Potter

John Potter Tele-Meister

A real life hard man in his youth, as a gun waving Johnny Stompanato discovered.

beyer160 and mindlobster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.