1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

RIP Prince Phillip

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Apr 9, 2021.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Oh my! I just saw it on the news myself

R.I.P

There’s multiple generations that have lived with/under the prince and Queen

I can’t imagine what that’s like culture wise, everyone and their families have just always had them there

As far as what I’ve seen it seems like he was active as an ambassador even into old age and was the face of goodwill for the country

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

This is a divisive one in the UK. I’m not a royalist but I see friends making very unkind comments about this man’s death today. I saw him close up one time, giving a speech in a small room at Windsor castle. Surrounded by CEOs and captains of industry, and I was there in t shirt and jeans. He lectured them on how big business had to protect the environment, and he put it across in a way that they could accept and absorb, without feeling got at, because he was who he was. An excellent speech. And that is my only Prince Philip story.

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Prayers.

Fendereedo and uriah1 like this.
  5. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Whether a royalist or not, whether you liked the guy or not it is always sad to see someone that has been part of the fixtures and fittings of the UK and the Commonwealth for so long pass on.
    He certainly put in his shift and deserves his rest.

6. olewaylonfan74

olewaylonfan74 Tele-Meister

RIP

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

watching the news cast about it now..

99 yrs old, a good innings.. he had been ill in hospital lately with heart issues.

RIP Prince Phillip..

uriah1, stormsedge and Fendereedo like this.
  8. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Yes I agree. Not a royalist as I said earlier, but it’s the end of an era. We were in london not long ago, and the Queen drove past us in a Range Rover, with her window right down, passed within 10 feet of us, and we heard folks gasping all the way down the street. I like to think she got a kick out of that! Our teenager was terribly excited!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've never been a huge royalist, but I'm sorry to see he has gone though. Rest in peace.

10. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Having retired from a UK-based Comany, the Queen and Prince Phillip were a constant and a reminder of what grace and dignity represented. Their stoic, courageous and honorable generation is slowly passing into history. The like of them will not come again. RIP sir.....

11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So sorry for the Commonwealth's loss of a wonderful and kind man. RIP Prince Philip. God bless and comfort the Royal family and God save the Queen.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Greggorios, Fendereedo and uriah1 like this.
  12. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Rest In Peace .

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Awww, sad news. RIP Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich.

14. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

572CDFB4-8DF1-48F6-9843-64F67DC3C90B.jpeg

Bye.

TheDams, LPBlue, highwaycat and 5 others like this.
  15. sully75

sully75 Tele-Meister

Respectfully I would say that he seems like a person born into great wealth who didn't do anything particularly admirable with it, and said a number of awful things.

I'm pretty sure many, many more admirable people died on the same day and will not be remembered.

Here's a nice one for music lovers:
    "“Deaf? If you’re near there, no wonder you are deaf,” he mused loudly to deaf children standing near a Caribbean steel drum band in 2000."

https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/jo...f-edinburgh-birthday-98-gaffes-98-years-10305

TheDams, Grant Austin, 3fngrs and 3 others like this.
  16. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Condolences and prayers to for the Royal family. I hope Harry and he were on good terms (you never know if you can trust the media on this) otherwise I suspect Harry will have some regrets....

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fair winds and following seas, sir.

Greggorios and uriah1 like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

There are some classics in there.. :) Honesty can bite sometimes.

“I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family,” he said in 1967 when asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

19. Rod C

Rod C TDPRI Member

I am definitely not a monarchist, but have a small family story regarding Prince Philip. When my Great Uncle Bob (from Scotland) served as a cook in the Royal Navy, he served Prince Philip during his time onboard one of the ships. When pouring a glass of red for Prince Philip, a much embarrassed Bob realized there were pieces of the cork floating in the glass. Noting Bob's discomfort, Prince Philip used his fingers to scoop out the cork, and with a smile, said "Not to worry". From that story, and other things that I have read, I think Prince Philip was not quite as pretentious as a lot of the other Royals.

20. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

When I was a child my mother was ill and I used to spend time with my grandmother. She had an old house that backed onto disused land that was reclaimed and turned into an athletics field. It was officially opened by Prince Phillip who arrived by helicopter, he didn't stay long as I recall it. I watched this stood at the bottom of the garden - I was probably more amazed by the helicopter than by the prince but that's the closest I ever got.
    Many rumours of his infidelities, some major public gaffes and he had more privilege than most of us will ever know but he has left a family so a sad day for them.
    Whether it will be the impetus for any further change by the royals is probably the interesting question but Lizzie will have a period of official mourning now so probably no news any time soon.

[Possibly at some point I can get the moderators on here to change my user name...:( ]

Mandocaster68 and Matthias like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.