RIP Peter Tork

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul in Colorado, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

RIP

I'm not old enough to have been there, but for me The Monkees TV show offers a wonderful interpretation/imagining of being young in the 60s (in California, at least?). I'm sure nobody involved expected it to have such a lasting legacy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Sad news. They played a Monkees song on the radio today in tribute, mentioning his passing, then in the same breath came the station's slogan "More music, less talk." And I thought, well, yes I guess there is now.

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i was and still a fan my whole life...i always defended them when some laughed or mocked them...my fave 60s band...a guy told me at work and i then put my mp3 to play all monkees all day...RIP peter

my favorite line of his was...

You’re just a pawn in his hands, a tool for his avaricious ambitions

4. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

The Monkees were awesome. They had a lot of cool songs, like Words, Valleri, Daily Nightly, Star Collector, Zor And Zam, and a whole bunch of others.

For anyone who doubts their abilities as musicians, I suggest you watch their movie Head, there's a scene there, of them performing a song called Circle Sky, oh hell, why I don't just post it here:

Note that there's just the four of them, no backup musicians, and to the best of my knowledge, no overdubs. Mickey turned out to be a pretty good drummer, for a guy who had never sat down behind a drumkit just a couple years earlier (on a slightly related note: Michael Clarke had no experience as a drummer before being asked to join The Byrds, the reason for which was his resemblance to Brian Jones).

Peter sang co-lead vocal on this one:

Oh, and as far as "they didn't play on their records", neither did anyone else who recorded in LA during that era. Virtually every "band" record that was recorded in LA at that time, it's really the Wrecking Crew playing most of the instruments. There's a great documentary about The Wrecking Crew, where Gary Lewis is talking about one of his songs, I forget which one, and he says he's never worked a guitarist who could actually recreate Tommy Tedesco's solo on whichever song it was.

And they actually did play on a couple of the records, specifically on Headquarters and Justus.

About 12 or so years ago, I saw Peter do a solo show in a little club. Afterwards, he signed autographs. When it wasm y turn, I walked up and said "Head is one of my favorite movies". Without missing a beat, he says "You have a sick mind, my friend".

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

ScubaGeek likes this.
  6. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Amen to that, he and Mike Naismith were my favorites. RIP, hopefully you and Davy are giving a concert for the folks that have earned their wings.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was a night auditor and met Davey. True gentlemean. Peter Tork I thought was funny and cool. Met him years
    later in a touring act he was in.

I forgot, were the Monkees on before the Munsters on Sat Eve??

8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Like this?

9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

loved the monkees as a kid.great songs and the show was fun.it was an innocent time for me.then i heard "i am the walrus" and my little mind was blown.

6stringcowboy likes this.
  10. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

My younger brothers used to watch the Monkees on TV. I would catch part of it occasionally. I thought it was funny in a Marx Bros/3 Stooges style of humor.
    But, I was a huge Beatles fan and was learning every Beatles song I could, so I dismissed them as pop bubblegum music.

Later on, when I got into recording and realized who was playing of the Monkees songs I became a bit more interested. The Wreaking Crew was huge.
    Around 1970 I was playing with some people in Los Angeles who were much more scholarly than I was. The other guitar player was taking lessons from George Van Epps. His wife, our bassist was taking lessons from Carol Kaye. I got to go to a couple of their lessons and just sit and observe, not participate in any way. I was warned (by my bandmates) I'd probably be asked to leave if I interrupted in any way. Turned out both Carol and George were very welcoming and friendly.
    Anyway, at the Carol Kaye lesson there was a long haired blond guy sitting in the living room. He looked familiar but I couldn't place him. I sat with him and we chatted while Carol gave her lesson in the other room. He said he was a musician and we found we were both Beatles fans. We discussed a few of their songs. He had a Strat in a case and there was a Jaguar nearby which he handed me. We started playing a few Beatles tunes and showing each other the hard parts. It turned out Carol Kaye also played guitar, gave lessons and he was waiting to take a lesson with her.
    When the lesson ended Carol and my friend walked in the room and heard us playing. Carol said "you guys need a bassist?" We laughed and I got ready to leave. She said "ok Peter, you're next" to the other guy. That's when the light went on and I realized it was Peter Tork.
    Rest in peace brother. I'm glad we got to hang for an hour that day!

stevemc, Stubee, acoustic rob and 2 others like this.
  11. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

RIP - Peter. Loved the Monkees from day one - watching on my folks black and white Zenith. Love "Last Train To Clarksville" and "Pleasant Valley Sunday", to this day.

12. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

turns out he was a real musician. RIP

13. Collirem

Collirem Tele-Meister

2016 they made a great album - Good Times! Peter Tork was really good on that LP - check it out.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

2 summers past, I got to see Peter & Micky perform as the Monkees, finding their show surprisingly enjoyable. They played old Monkee TV bits along with the concert. Having not seen the program in about 50 years, was quite a trip...thanks for the good times!

Archtop Bill likes this.
  15. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was of course way way too hip to be a Monkees fan...but they were fun! I always liked Peter. RIP.

boris bubbanov and Greggorios like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Absolutely love Louie's wonderful playing on Clarksville.

+

It broke me down to the ground when I found out it wasn't the band's work, a few weeks after the release. It filled me with bitterness, not really towards the guys but towards Don Kirschner and the suits around Kirschner.

We didn't have a TV and so I never saw the show until syndication much later. I mean, we'd visit some relatives to see the Moon Shots and Eisenhower funeral but no access to TV was ever "wasted" on something like a kid's TV show. I heard about it second hand from my classmates. They got mad when I declined an invitation to go to their house and watch the show, but I figured I'd better practice harder or the same thing might happen to me.

17. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

According to David Yaffe's book Reckless Daughter, Peter loaned David Crosby $22k to buy a boat after he'd been forced out of The Byrds and wanted to sail around the world. The boat was berthed in Coconut Grove, and while there to retrieve it Crosby wandered into a coffeehouse and heard Joni Mitchell for the first time. He persuaded her to move to LA and promoted her fledgling career.

So Peter's role as an all-around good guy (as mentioned above) was indirectly pivotal in the creation of Wooden Ships and Joni's success.

craigh9 and boris bubbanov like this.
  18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Sad.
    Hope he doesn't meet Auntie Grizelda up there...

19. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I'm currently reading Infinite Tuesday by Mike Nesmith, interesting read.

Many of their songs apparently came out of the Brill Building after Kirshner muscled in on the musical direction of the show

20. Marshallfender

Marshallfender Tele-Meister

5A10FA39-E722-4AA0-AC08-D0A942AE499F.jpeg

stevemc and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.