RIP Marvin Lee Aday aka Meatloaf

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Aw (insert word for bowel movement here)!!!

74 is not exactly old. What an undeniable talent.
One of a kind, totally unique and larger than life itself in every sense in his artistic persona.
Not my go to music for a listen but my ears always welcomed his music and his music has always brought a smile to my miserable and cantankerous Scottish face.
Thanks for the memories Meat! You were part of the soundtrack to my young life.

My favourite Meatloaf story, (though not exactly about the man himself)...

A good friend of mine's father worked as an agent for tribute acts all over Europe and in the 1990s used to run an event where around a dozen of these acts would gather for a large week long event at a hotel complex in Mallorca.

My friend was doing the lighting and some pyrotechnics for the shows and the tribute acts varied from Tom Jones, Elvis, Tina Turner, to Meatloaf among others. All of these 'Stars' lived in and around the hotel complex for the week.

Out of all these tribute 'Stars', Meatloaf (the tribute) never broke character once on or off stage. Not even for a second. He answered to no name other than Meatloaf.
This guy lived, breathed and farted as if he was, in fact, Marvin Lee Aday aka Meatloaf, from the moment my friend picked him up at the airport to the point he dropped him off at the departure gate a week later.

I'd like to think he still does.
Maybe the guy actually WAS Meatloaf. The 90s weren't exactly kind to a lot of acts from the 70s.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Wow, sad news. He was certainly unique. I respected his full-on commitment and sense of humor. I got to meet Carla DeVito in '76, right before she went on tour with the Loaf, that was cool. I still have a crush on her too. RIP, good sir.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When I first met Mrs. Enchilada, Meatloaf was her absolute favorite band. That's what I get for dating younger women who don't know @ the Beatles, Stones, or God forbid CSNY.

Does he leave behind a Mrs. Loaf?
And their twin sons, Tweet and Tofu?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It's amazing to me that Bat out of Hell is #4 in the world in sales (according to Wiki anyway). I'm indifferent to the album, liked a little of it, but my friends and I weren't really into it. But wow, 44 mill in sales? Someone sure liked it!

He was great in Fight Club. RIP Mr Loaf.

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" tops that same list.
There's no accounting for taste ... :cool:

Greg70

Tele-Holic
My older brothers played the crap out of BOOH in the late 70's. One of the few albums that we had on vinyl and 8 track. I think one of them put it on cassette to play in the car too. I remember when I was about 8 years old I made a stupid joke about "You Took the Words Right out of My Mouth". I had a Ralph puppet from the Muppets that you could stick your hand in the back of and make his mouth move. I wrote miscellaneous words on scraps of paper and put them in Ralph's mouth. I played the song and then showed my brothers how I was taking words out of Ralph's mouth. They were reading the random words and trying to make a sentence out of them and didn't get the joke.

RIP

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It's amazing to me that Bat out of Hell is #4 in the world in sales (according to Wiki anyway). I'm indifferent to the album, liked a little of it, but my friends and I weren't really into it. But wow, 44 mill in sales? Someone sure liked it!
And the crazy thing is, not a single label wanted it! They got turned down by every label they took it to.

Todd Rundgren saw its potential and bankrolled and produced the recording and lent his band Utopia to play on it, and Steve van Zandt was instrumental in hooking Meat up with the Epic subsidiary (Cleveland International) that finally released it - but even that label was cool to the album until it started moving units.

TBH, I reached a saturation point with that record after a while, but you can't argue with success. The album still sells about 200,000 copies a year!

What a legacy. RIP, Mr. Loaf.

- D

Last edited:

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I think it was 1980 I saw him do a show in Northern Ireland. More than a bit loud but unbelievable show.
R.I.P.