1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

RIP- Marge Champion... aka Snow White

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Marge Champion, who served as the real-life model for Walt Disney's Snow White, has died at the age of 101.

The actress was also well known for starring alongside her husband and dance partner Gower Champion in a string of MGM musicals in the 1950s.

She later won an Emmy Award for choreographing the 1975 TV film Queen of the Stardust Ballroom.

She died in Los Angeles on Wednesday, dance instructor Pierre Dulaine confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Marge and Gower Champion danced together in TV shows, Broadway musicals and films such as George Sidney's 1951 remake of Show Boat, which also starred Howard Keel, Kathryn Grayson and Ava Gardner.

The couple were also seen together in Mr Music (1950) starring Bing Crosby, Lovely to Look At (1952), Give a Girl a Break (1953) and Jupiter's Darling (1955).

Marge Champion was born Marjorie Celeste Belcher in Hollywood in 1919. Her father was dance and ballet teacher Ernest Belcher, who was friends with Walt Disney.

When Disney's animation team were working on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, they studied a young Marge's movements on a sound stage in order to make the character move more realistically.

From the age of 14, Champion would work with them for one or two days per month for two years, during which time she was paid $10 per day.

"None of them [the all-male animation team] had been a young girl or knew how a dress would do this or that or the other thing," she explained in a 1998 interview with the Archive of American Television.

Released in 1937, the groundbreaking film was the first full-length animated feature to be made by a US studio, and became a box office sensation.

Champion also served as a model for the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio, Hyacinth Hippo in Fantasia, and Mr Stock in Dumbo.

Gower and Marge Champion married in 1947, but divorced in 1973. Gower died in 1980 at the age of 61.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54644798

2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Snow White is nowadays just thought of as the first Disney animated feature. People
    nowadays don't realize the impact it made when it was first released. Not just here,
    but internationally. Roman Polanski, for one said it inspired him to seek a career in
    cinema.

R.I.P. :cry:

drmordo and Torren61 like this.
  3. Torren61

And piddle young girls... (Sorry, I had to do that.)

4. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Why?

Why ruin a good post. In fact I think this is my first get off my lawn comment.

The old saying, "if you have nothing nice to say dont say it" would go a LONG way to resolving a lot of the troubles going on at the moment.

Nothing personal Torren61, it just occurred to me if we all held our tongue a bit more things would likely be a lot better all round.

Re the op. I'm going to show my daughter this, I didnt know she was modelled off anyone, really interesting. What a life that lady must have led, almost royalty in the golden age of Hollywood.

Rocky058 and drmordo like this.
  5. Torren61

Sorry I didn't have anything nice to say about the man who has multiple allegations of rape and child molestation still pending against him. YOU mentioned him first, not me. I don't like rapey child molesters. Are we in agreement the he is indeed a child molester and a rapist and that those things are bad?

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Meanwhile, back at Doc and Grumpy’s Cottage...

SW&t7D always held a place in my heart, both as a kid and as an adult.

I had no idea the model for SW was still alive until recently...interesting woman...RIP...

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I remember seeing snow white as a very little kid. We lived in Lake Tahoe and the folks dropped us off at a place that had movies and pinball and maybe bowling. I was probably 5 or 6 and what I remember was being terrified during much of it and my sister holding me on her lap... my folks were off gambling and we were there for 3 movies that day... LOTS of fun on a snowy day.

Fiesta Red and Stubee like this.
  8. Torren61

Sorry, I'm a little Grumpy...

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’m old enough to appreciate how cool those early Disney movies were. RIP Marge.

Fiesta Red and Torren61 like this.
  10. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Totally not the point, Why does it need to come up in the first place?

Not only does it detract from the thread (f which I acknowledge I am a party too) but it also ensures everyone is constantly being reminded and bombarded with negativity for something that specifically happened a long time ago and is barely if at all relevant today.

drmordo likes this.
  11. Torren61

"Irrelevant"? NOT IF YOU'RE A VICTIM...

12. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I mentioned RP first. I just remember an interview with him where he mentioned the impact of seeing SW&TSD for the first time.

13. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I'm terribly sorry, this is obviously close to your heart. So much that appearance of your outrage would indicate that you were a victim. My apologies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.