RIP, Little Orphan Annie

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Back on June 1st, I started a thread about one of our cats, Annie (short for Little Orphan Annie). In it, I asked the question, “When is it time…?”

Well, turns out her “time” was today. We consulted hoped for improvement, but it didn’t happen. She grew thin, and weak. Her symptoms worsened, to the point that she was bleeding daily. And she would “pass out,” as my wife called it. She perched in the windowsill, but multiple times a day, she would just fall off the windowsill to the floor. And she didn’t land on her feet, like cats do, but she would just fall to the floor with a thud. Sometimes it would take her a minute before she would get up.

When I posted about her 2 months ago, she didn’t seem to be in pain. Annie would hardly move all day long, and never uttered a sound. Today, she started a mournful cry. It was just clear that she was continuing to go downhill, and we decided to put her down rather than wait for things to get even worse.

Tough decision. I console myself with knowing that we gave her a good home and a good life for eleven years. Annie was pretty much a feral kitten that was rescued by my grandchildren. They couldn’t keep her themselves at the time, so they thought it was a great idea for my wife and me to raise the kitten so they could watch it grow through the years. We couldn’t say “No.” One of the hardest parts of this is getting the news to our grandkids up in San Antonio.

01-19-2019 - Annie on couch 2.jpeg
09-05-2019 - Little Orphan Annie is home - 2.jpg
09-07-2020 - Celeste & Annie - 2.jpg

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s hard but it’s also the kindest thing you can do. They do have a way of telling you when it’s time.
My condolences to y’all but the love Annie gave and received is evident by that second photo in this thread

RIP Little Orphan Annie

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
I love the look she is giving you in the first pic, you get so much of her personality there.

Condolences

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ah, Larry - so sorry to hear.
I was introduced to the amazing world of cats courtesy of another "Annie", who was raised from closed-eyes-kitten days to just a few weeks short of 20 years, by Mrs Deeve (it was a package deal, she told me)
It didn't take long for our kitty to steal my heart, and I'm sure your household was also filled w/ love, snacks and chin scruffles for your adoptee.
RIP - Deeve

Lockback

Tele-Meister
I've lost a dog and a cat in the last 16 months or so. Both left huge holes in my heart.
We now have another dog and another cat. Both are rescues and unique creatures that bear little resemblance to their predecessors except in fur color but they're wonderful in their own way.
I'm so genuinely sorry for your loss. I genuinely believe that pets make us better humans. They teach us much about love and caring.