1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

RIP James White

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blackguts, Jan 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never heard of the place until today, but I miss it, and James White even though I didn't know him. My heart is heavy of late, I miss the life that was, I miss the music, I miss the people, I miss the places that were distinctive. The only way dance halls are coming back is if they have them at Walmart. I thank God I lived when I did, possibly the best of times of all time.

blackguts, brookdalebill and E5RSY like this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

R.I.P.

broken spoke 1.gif

blackguts and E5RSY like this.
  3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Broken Spoke story, file under cultural moments. I was in the front room one night having dinner with friends next to a table of 8-10 women from India, UT students. It was a bachelorette party and The Spoke was apparently their first stop of the evening, and it was their first time there. Mr. White stopped by and welcomed them. When the young server came by to take their orders one of the party asked her, "Vat is dis chicken fried steak?"

blackguts and Guitharley like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mr. White was a nice guy.
    He’d drop in to his place fairly often, though his wife Annetta and daughter were more constant presences.
    His daughter Terry teaches dance lessons before the band starts every night (T-S).
    James was good friends with Tony Harrison, whose swing band played the front (restaurant) and back (dance hall) rooms.
    Mr. White would sit in with Tony’s band.
    I was a sub in that band many times.
    Like Bob Wills sang, Time Changes Everything.

blackguts, Toto'sDad and Guitharley like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.