RIP Ian McLagan

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alamo, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Very cool soul-o - you are indeed fortunate.

But you know, as young as Ian was when he left, Ronnie Lane would say he was still fortunate.

To put it in perspective.

I've got the Faces box on as we speak...

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

RIP Ian.

3. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

Sometime right around the time of Nicky Hopkins death, Ian and Bobby did a show billed as Ian's show in the tiniest little café on Elliston Place in Nashville, next door to the Exit/In. Nicky's widow was there and all I remember was how weird it was, how great it was of them and how sad it was all wrapped together. I think they meant to help her. I loved Ian's music even the solo records and the New Barbarians.

4. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Wow. Driving home last night, I heard a local radio station play Ooh La La, the old Faces tune. Not a song you hear much these days, radio being the way it is. Now I know why.
    RIP.

5. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I live in Austin so I was fortunate enough to catch Mac at various small local venues and in the dark ages with the New Barbarians. He was always gracious when I spoke with him and was, from my experience, a genuinely nice guy. The Faces (both Small and otherwise) are near the top of my favorites. Rest easy Mac and thanks for all the great music.

6. Rokatt88

Rokatt88 Tele-Holic

Love's me some Ian!

Piano was my first instrument and Ian's style was a huge inspiration growing up.

I saw Rod Stewart & The Faces in their prime and it was one of the best concerts ever!

Thank you Mr. McLagan. You truly will be missed!

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Best box set ever, IMO. I'm gonna do the same tonight after the kid goes to bed.

I can't find Mystifies Me on youtube as a vid unto itself (at least Mac's version), so I'll give you the whole album:

I don't know what the source of this (did it ever get released on CD?) but mine's on a cassette. This probably sounds better!

Cheers,
    Geoff

8. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I guess this is going to become a more frequent event over the years as the older 1960's and 70's rock stars get into their later years. But it doesn't make hearing the news any more palatable.

He seemed like a nice sort of bloke from the few interviews I've seen of him on TV - most recently on the Ronnie Wood Radio Show (probably a year or so ago). And I do still love the Faces music. They were a great band -as were the Small Faces before them.

9. beatup78

beatup78 TDPRI Member

The first thing I did when I came to Austin was to go see Ian at the Lucky Lounge. It was simply remarkable. He and his suburb band never failed to deliver. To see legend like that and a musician of such taste was a blessing. I went to see him every chance I could, and I wish I could have gone more often. He truly was rock royalty. Listen to The Faces albums, and you will learn everything you need to learn about rock and roll. It's all there. On the BBC show below, simply brilliant.

10. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

All true. RIP Ian.

11. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Had the pleasure of chatting up Mac several times...funny guy... There goes the Faces reunion Rod...!

My mum she likes you, she thinks you're swell...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.