RIP Elvis 45 years ago today

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
elvissightings.png

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
I only appreciated EP when I got older. When I was a kid, I hated him. He was my Mom's & all of my aunts favorite. Was subjected to too many bad EP movies when I was a child. Shoulda constituted child abuse... :twisted:

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I'm in a room in a house in Lyon France. THe family I am staying with speak crippled English. I hear screamin, The King, pause, is Dead. She repeats this a couple of time. I think King? Shot? World War III? I come running out and she hollers, ELLLLLVIIIIS! And I look to the TV and it show people going nutz by Graceland. I was 22.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I was hauling sand in an end dump pulling it with an old Peterbilt with a Detroit 318 and a 4x4 two stick transmission. I got home and the kids were heartbroken, Elvis had died, and the August heat had killed two of their little Guinea Pigs. The baby they had survived and lived a very long time for a guinea pig, he lived for eight years. His name was Ciscero.

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
Riding back to Corsinana, TX from San Antonio with my parents and grand father. My grandmother had died less than a year prior, so we took my grandfather to the Alamo

greenhornet

Tele-Meister
Was with my mother and others returning from some sort of reunion-- we heard it on the radio. My mother was always an Elvis fan. I was 12, she was the same age as Elvis.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Miz Diane and I spent the night in a motel in Graceland...late 80s? The clerk asked us excitedly when we were taking "the tour".
"What tour?"
"Graceland...the mansion!"
"What's that?
I thought he'd cancel our room. We were doing the Memphis area antique shops...

Yes, I heard about it when it happened...but while acknowledging his contributions and liking some of his hits, was never a fan.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Miz Diane and I spent the night in a motel in Graceland...late 80s? The clerk asked us excitedly when we were taking "the tour".
"What tour?"
"Graceland...the mansion!"
"What's that?
I thought he'd cancel our room. We were doing the Memphis area antique shops...

Yes, I heard about it when it happened...but while acknowledging his contributions and liking some of his hits, was never a fan.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
I was living on Maui, my 1st born son was maybe 6 weeks old.... I really didn't think too much of it.

I remember the Elvis movies and stuff and wasn't a fan. More into the Beatles, Stones, then Jimi and Zep....

It wasn't till I got older, probably in my 30's that I started to appreciate his earlier recordings and I'm definitely a fan now.

RIP Elvis

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I think this happened on a Sunday, please let me know if I'm wrong. I remember I was about nine years old, bored at the moment and just riding my bike doing figure eights on our driveway in suburbs of Lincoln, Nebraska. My buddy in the neighborhood who lived across the street from me ran over and said "hey Chris, Elvis died today" I paused for a moment in confusion and probably said something, but soon went back to doing the figure eights in the driveway all the while thinking "wow this is big news and I think I'm going to miss Elvis"...

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think this happened on a Sunday, please let me know if I'm wrong. I remember I was about nine years old, bored at the moment and just riding my bike doing figure eights on our driveway in suburbs of Lincoln, Nebraska. My buddy in the neighborhood who lived across the street from me ran over and said "hey Chris, Elvis died today" I paused for a moment in confusion and probably said something, but soon went back to doing the figure eights in the driveway all the while thinking "wow this is big news and I think I'm going to miss Elvis"...
It was the same as today, it was on a Tuesday Aug 16th 1977. I knew it was a weekday, because I had worked all that day.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My wife and I took the tour at Grassland. I remember there were wreaths lining the sidewalk from the grave site to the front where the shuttle took your back to the parking lot, by the plane. I asked the guy loading the shuttle why all the flowers. He said a big tour bus of Europeans came earlier and some of them brought wreaths. He also said on Elvis' birthday there are hundreds and they have to pull crying women off the grave. Glad I missed that.