RIP Don Wilson

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I had the Let’s Go and Telstar albums and wore them out. In the far recesses of my memory they still call to me…gently whispering “play the melody, you idiot!”

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Oh no! Man.... they're just droppin' like flies.... so sad. RIP Mr. Wilson and thanks for all the great music.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I loved the Ventures and could play every one of their tunes when I was about 12. I'd gone through all of the Mel Bay books and other instructional stuff, and my teacher turned me on to the Ventures because he was out of curriculum ideas. That kept me busy and got me rockin as well. RIP Don.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
RIP, Don.
The Ventures brought a lot of joy.
I got to see Nokie in Nashville on Muriel Anderson’s Guitar Night at the Ryman about a dozen years ago, but never saw the Ventures.
He was great, BTW.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I never owned a Ventures LP, but in growing up they were an ever-present part of the world's soundtrack. Is there a guitarist alive who couldn't whip out a version of Walk Don't Run if requested? Sorry to hear about Don.....R.I.P., sir.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Dang!
Was very grateful to see The Ventures ( with Don and Nokie Edwards too).back in maybe 2010 or so, at The Birchmere/ Alexandria, VA. They put on a great show!
Fantastic energy and big volume!

RIP Don- you guys are the best!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
RIP. I had three Ventures albums I played along with when I was in high school. I know it drove my mother mad but she never complained. That’s where it started for me. Thank you Mr Wilson.

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
I may have never been interested in guitar, nor played for almost 60 years, had it not been for the Ventures. I could never sing, and still love instrumentals. The Ventures music is permanently etched in my brain and on my fingertips. RIP Don. Thanks for the spark, which has lasted a lifetime.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I was late to the party but I’ll never forget when a garage band put on a show in a neighbor’s driveway. I was probably seven or eight years old at the time and had never heard electric guitars in person. They played Walk Don’t Run and I’d never heard it before either. Wow! It was life-changing.