RIP Dick Dale

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NothingGoatboat, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

What a guitarist he was! What a body of music! The King Of Surf indeed! RIP DD!

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Surf into the sunset Dick. You were the man.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  4. sbolt

sbolt Tele-Meister

Someone thought it was a hoax this morning....and I was hoping it was...My bandmates and myself got to see him 4/23/15. When I found out he was coming to town, I broke down my Strat, put the body in my backpack and went to the gig with a silver marker pen.....he tossed the pen aside and pulled out his own black marker...then he noticed it was an SRV strat...he had NO problem telling me about the Pipeline story...such a friendly generous man.

Attached Files:

5. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Dammit. I was hoping it wasn't true. RIP.

6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

RIP Dick, and thanks.

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

This guy was tough as nails, any of you who are familiar with him know that he survived several brushes with death, He's had rectal cancer twice, had parts of his stomach and intestines removed, and thus had to wear a colostomy bag under his clothes at all times. He went in renal failure and refused to go on dialysis. He had diabetes.

And yet he kept just trucking along.
    [​IMG]
    Dale with the Fender Stratocaster "the Beast" which he got from Leo Fender himself.

Dale said that Leo Fender was like a second father to him.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Here's a very little known track.

Dale said that when he met Herman Brood he saw a kindred spirit, he recognized that living for Rock N Roll spirit that Brood embodied.

Kriticaster and Mase like this.
  9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Fake Blues

10. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Sad to hear, though most icons from the early 60’s were gone long before Dick Dale was. Love his tone and style, he was a mighty influence on the world of electric guitar, that’s for sure.

11. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Truly one of my favorite guitar players and I am thankful to have seen him live several times at the Jersey shore. I remember losing sight of him at a show at Joey Harrison's Surf Club but still hearing the guitar blazing. A few seconds later he appeared climbing in one of the ground floor windows that faced the beach and walked right through the crowd.

At one of the shows I ran into a "gifted" female coworker who asked if I wanted her to get one his picks. A big smile and a walk to the stage later she had my pick. He's going to be missed.

Kriticaster likes this.
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not to take anything away from Dick Dale, but this is not hard to do with the guitar picks of olde, playing the way he did. Fender Tortoise or plain picks get hot as hell, trem picking on .060" strings. They don't necessarily melt. They just get hot as hell, and waste away to nothing but quick. You can smell the plastic heating up as you play through the length of a song.

I learned guitar on 15–58 strings and Fender Extra Heavy picks thanks to how much I idolized him, and played that way for nearly 1 dozen years before ever playing on another gauge. My local store didn't carry 60's. I'm no Dick Dale, but I would waste at least a pick a song doing Dick Dale covers.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  13. willie ray

willie ray TDPRI Member

Miserlou is my ringtone...
    sad day...RIP Dick Dale.

Kriticaster likes this.
  14. knavel

knavel TDPRI Member

Dick Dale was probably the individual who had more impact on our band's overall sound and my own guitar playing moreso than perhaps anyone else.

Prior to his well deserved renaissance due to the Pulp Fiction movie, one could catch his gigs locally in California amongst a handful of die hard fans and admirers--practically a private show. At one of these pre Pulp Fiction gigs Dick Dale gave me his home phone number. I called him and he invited the band to fly out to his house via his personal landing strip. It was a great few hours we spent with the legend.

One of the great moments of my life was my getting to play Miserlou on his 1960 Strat that he originally recorded the song with. Between gigs the guitar sat in the surfer's van as seen in the photos.

Wow. Still can't believe the King is dead; long live the King.

Tribute: A cover we did circa 1990 of the Wedge:

IMG_20150112_104732799.jpg

Attached Files:

15. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

There was no mention of it on the BBC news yesterday until I sent a text message to their stories desk at 11 pm. It was on their page 15 minutes later. Quick work but a shame it wasn't picked up earlier.
    A coincidence here but I thought I'd try out the surf-rock genre last week after seeing it in a techniques article and watched some of his fantastic playing on youTube. He left a fine legacy.

Kriticaster likes this.
  16. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

Sad news... The world has lost a bad arse of a guitarist, and Fender have lost the best amp tester they've ever had.

boris bubbanov and Wildcard_35 like this.
  17. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

RIP, you legend of a lefty ....

Nubs likes this.
  18. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Yep, I saw him in Sydney Australia, and I’ll vouch for it being Motörhead LOUD.
    He had the reverb tank hanging by rope from the rafters so as the vibration of the band didn’t shake it to bits. Vale Dick well played.

willie ray likes this.
  19. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

The Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale has an exhibit dedicated to him and he would do shows there occasionally. The MIM is a great place to see all kinds of thing Musical including Dick Dale.

20. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Ya know, being southpaw myself, I sometimes wonder, if I knew about Dick Dale, Albert King, Elizabeth Cotten, Otis Rush, etc all playing their guitars strung "upside down", if I would have tried the same thing.

See, my first guitar was a right handed instrument, and I remember saying so to my mom, and she wasl ike "Doesn't matter, you can play right handed" (and indeed, there are quite a few notable lefty guitarists who've done that, notably Mark Knopfler, Rik Emmett, and Steve Morse). It never occurred to me I could have just flipped the guitar over and played it with the strings the wrong way around. I think I knew about Jimi Hendrix, but I think I also knew that he typically restrung his guitars, so that they were strung the way a left handed instrument is "supposed to be".

Nubs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.