RIP Andy Fletcher -- Depeche Mode

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Today is rough. Along with the sad news about Alan White and Ray Liotta I saw that Andy Fletcher also passed away. He was only 60!

I know it's a guitar forum, but Depeche Mode was a foundational band for me growing up in the 80s. 40 years on and I still enjoy much of their catalog. Andy wasn't the best musician, he's probably more famous for clapping along on stage than playing his synths, but I always felt he played a bigger role behind the scenes keeping DM together all these years. By all accounts he was a great guy and well loved by all, and for some reason this one really got to me.

Rest easy Fletch. RIP

1653597871111.png

Mr Swisher

Tele-Meister
The last two albums lost me a little but up until then I've been a big fan from the start.

Got caught in a fan crush at a Radio 1 roadshow in 85' leaving my face pressed against their transit van with just a few millimetres of glass between me and the band. Saw the last week of shows on the Violator world tour. Still listen to them all the time.

Their longevity and willingness to evolve defies everything that was expected of their early 80s Synth pop "fad". Not to mention they created house music. Allegedly.

Genuinely gutted tonight.

Mr Swisher

Tele-Meister
RIP Andy.

They had far more talent than many give them credit for.

In the 90s they could genuinely claim to be one of the biggest bands in the world. Huge stadium tours, selling out everywhere, with a million dollar turnover night after night in the states.

They simply did not get the credit they deserved from the maintstrean UK media. U2 got it, but DM were right there, stride for stride.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
RIP Andy, the beating heart of the band.

I've been a fan since first hearing "New Life" on the radio as a kid, it kinda went against the grain of my peers but in this case I was a proud fan.
In the late 80s I managed to find an old analog synthesizer. A Korg PolySix. 'New Life' was the first song I played on it and bought it on the spot.