1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Right tool for lengthening string-through holes in Gotoh bridge?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pilotfish, Sep 18, 2009.

1. pilotfish

pilotfish Tele-Meister

I have a Gotoh bridge that has the odd, mis-aligned string-through holes like on some hardtail strats. But I'm trying to use it on a Tele-ish body with the holes lined up. What bit or other tool can I put in a drill to lengthen the string-through holes into slots that will line up with the holes in the body? Or is there some other tool (a file?) that would be better?

Thanks....

2. pmjennin

pmjennin TDPRI Member

Off the top of my head, you could mount the bridge and then flip the body over. Then drill - using a nice, sharp bit - through the string holes in the back of body. This should keep the bit tip from wandering. If this doesn't work - and if the holes are not that far off of alignment - a good needle file may do the trick.

Hope it helps!

3. pilotfish

pilotfish Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'll try to find a bit that will do that; something that's designed for drilling metal, I guess.

4. fishtownmike

fishtownmike Tele-Meister

A endmill thats used in a metal working mill would work in a drill press but they are expensive and not readily available at the typical hardware/home center. You would also benifit by having a cross vise. Expensive again.

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just how far off are the mis-matched holes in the body and bridge? If it's not much, you might ...........

1. Mount the bridge.
    2. Drill through each string hole ........ about 1/8 in. deep.
    3. Remove the bridge and angle drill from these new holes to the original holes.
    4 Remove any wood left between the holes.

This might require you to put a curve in the end of the strings when re-stringing so the string doesn't hit the backside of the bridge plate. Another option is to glue short 1/8 in. dowel pieces with slanted ends into the original holes to guide the strings into the new holes.

......[​IMG]

If the mis-matched holes in body and bridge plate are off by a lot, just drill new holes in the bridge plate

6. pilotfish

pilotfish Tele-Meister

Thanks, Jack--that's really helpful. I'll measure the difference tonight and see what works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.