Right Angle Plug on Speaker Cable

Tarnisher

Friend of Leo's
I have a cab with a jack that’s flush on the back, and I’d like to use a right angle plug so I can push it back closer to the wall.

It seems that there are very few options around for speaker cables with right angle plugs, and they are all MUCH pricier than the equivalent with straight plugs.

Is there some reason I’m not aware of for why this is so uncommon?

Is there a source For this product I’ve missed?

If I make my own, can I use regular instrument right angle plugs, or do I need something specifically for speaker cables?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Some instrument cable plugs have a tiny hole for the pos wire and are a little harder to solder.
I usually clip that terminal with wire cutters and open it like a lobster claw before soldering, but I like a fatter speaker wire.
Usually a spool of brown lamp wire is my speaker wire, a little thinner than the clear home stereo speaker wire, but thicker than the wire in most guitar amps or cabs.

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
I have a cab with a jack that’s flush on the back, and I’d like to use a right angle plug so I can push it back closer to the wall.

It seems that there are very few options around for speaker cables with right angle plugs, and they are all MUCH pricier than the equivalent with straight plugs.

Is there some reason I’m not aware of for why this is so uncommon?

Is there a source For this product I’ve missed?

If I make my own, can I use regular instrument right angle plugs, or do I need something specifically for speaker cables?

Instrument cable is not ideal - it has a slim inner conductor surrounded by a braided shield. Speaker cables are two identical larger conductors, lamp cord is a fine replacement.

Right-angle connectors can be a little crowded inside and it's not quite as easy to fit the bulkier speaker cable into the jack and close it up. It CAN be done, with some skill.

The PLUGS are the same. I do think there has been a Switchcraft right angle that is a bit bigger internally, I feel like I've seen those (although it may no longer be in production.)

EDIT: actually IIRC, the bigger Switchcraft plug was straight, not right-angled.

I haven't worked with the Neutrik brand right-angles in a while, I don't remember if they are roomier.

Tarnisher

Friend of Leo's
Thanks!

I’m sure there are plenty of tutorials for making them in YouTube, but if anyone can recommend a specific one that would be great.

alnico357

Tele-Afflicted
I order right angle jacks and make my own. Get yourself a soldering pencil and get at it!

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yeah make your own. I think they are less common because the jack plates used on cabs are often not flush, and right angle plugs may or may not work with them. But really, do you need to be within an inch and a half of the wall? :eek:

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Found these on Amazon-

612tm-JnjQL._AC_UY218_.jpg

$5.99.

Tarnisher

Friend of Leo's
Yeah make your own. I think they are less common because the jack plates used on cabs are often not flush, and right angle plugs may or may not work with them. But really, do you need to be within an inch and a half of the wall? :eek:

You clearly do not live in NYC- when rent is as high as it is here, every inch of space counts!

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
You clearly do not live in NYC- when rent is as high as it is here, every inch of space counts!

Sigh. I love this place but it it is symptomatic of this site that even when you say exactly what you want every reply then ignores your real need.

LetItGrowTone

Tele-Meister
every reply then ignores your real need
The original poster said "If I make my own...", and also mentioned the high price of ready-made, so we pointed him to the parts.

He asked "Is there a source For this product I’ve missed?". You could Google that for him if you want to.

I just did: $50+ for 3 feet long.