Rig Rundowns from decades in the past

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boomhauer, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I know Rig Rundown is a segment for Premier Guitar, but the idea's there. Is there anything online that gives a sort of rig rundown for musical acts from the 80's and 90's? I've got a very specific tone in my head, and despite what my sig line says, I'd like to do a little more research into how I can make this specific tone (used from sometime between 1988 and about 1997 or so).

2. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

igor5 and Boomhauer like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Artist and album? Musical style? There’s a lot of knowledge here on the board. Somebody might know just what you’re looking for.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  5. Boomhauer

Ah, I suppose that would be helpful.

Tracy Byrd, 1993, right around when Holdin' Heaven came out. I'm looking for his touring rig from that summer.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

I don’t know his specific rig, but I was playing a lot of top 40 country at that time. I actually opened for him that summer. Don’t remember what anybody was using.

I do know that at that time, there was a big rackmount preamp craze going on. Pretty much everybody had one. For country guys, most everybody I knew from Houston to Nashville was using the Digitech 2101. These were the days before the internet and all the boutique amps, pickups, and effects. Everything for everybody was pretty much “off the shelf”.

Most of the electric players I knew from big clubs to arenas at the time were using US Fenders or G&L guitars, the 2101 unit, and either power amp/cab setup, Twin Reverb, or in some cases a couple smaller amps in a stereo setup. The old school holdouts were all using the same guitars, common FX were a TS9 or Rat, Boss comp, and phase 90. Those guys all used Twins with EV or JBL speakers. Mostly JBL.

Almost everybody from that time period used Fender amps if they used amps on stage. Notable exceptions were some southern guys using big Peaveys, Vince Gill and his Riveras, and Fred Newell using Marshalls for a bit.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wanna know how old I am?

When you said “rig rundown’s from the past” I thought yeah like what was Eddie Cochran using onstage and was Django Reinhardt always plugged in after the war?

80’s ? 90’s ?

Safe guess is always - big racks and then Mesa Boogie...:lol::lol::lol:

8. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Just get an ADA MP-1 a lexicon PCM (you pick the number..) and Alesis Quadraverb... run that all with a decent power amp and there you go.

With that setup you can practically get any tone from that time span...

May want to throw in a TC electronic rack chorus as well if you are into that stuff...

Or just get a Zoom rack unit that can do all of the effects for you..? Zoom 9050 is good and cheap...

Also get at least 3 Korg rack tuners for the light show...

9. Boomhauer

That's really damn cool! I did some homework and found a bunch of the session and recording guitarists from the era (pretty straightforward using Wikipedia or similar online resources), but couldn't figure out what the heck to look up to find touring or live gear. Looks like Larry Byrom recorded Holdin' Heaven, but what piqued my interest was a video from Brian Wampler where he mentioned he was recruited by a friend of a friend to play one show with Tracy back around '93.

And you nailed it - pre Internet (well, on a big scale anyway), pre social media, pre boutique guitar stuff...But, that makes it hard to look up specific details, because nobody cared about recording or remembering specific things like this.

Jakedog and Les H like this.
  10. Jakedog

Yeah, folks didn’t laregly care back then. Everybody kinda used the same stuff cause there were only so many options. It was nothing like it is now. I only remember for sure what I was using and what was pretty popular. I wasn’t really playing much electric live at that time. I was always up front singing with an acoustic guitar. I used mostly my Yairi with an aftermarket shadow pickup system, plugged into a simple whirlwind Imp DI, right to the snake. But all the serious electric guys I knew in the popular country world were using those 2101 pres.

11. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Peavey Classic 50s were very popular stage amps for country players back then. Clint Black and Hayden Nicholas used them for most of the mid to late 90s.

There used to be a magazine called Country Guitar that was similar to Guitar World. It only lasted a couple years or so and similar to what Jakedog said there were a lot of rack mount preamps being used. I got the impression a lot of wannabe hair metal guitarists went the country route after hair metal fell out of fashion to grunge and country music was starting to explode. Their gear was very similar to a late 80s rock guitarists. I remember a band called Little Texas and they used a lot of Mesa Boogie gear.

Travis Tritt used a red knob twin and his guitarist Wendell Cox used a Marshall of some sort. Tritt was known as pretty competent guitarist at that time as well.

I didn't really appreciate that era of country music at the time but I'd give anything to have that era back now.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. Boomhauer

So, the opening riffs here are the exact, specific riffs/notes I had in my head:

Call me a dummy, but it sounds like there's a teeny, tiny little bit of slapback delay or something on the opening riffs of both of those songs. But, that little tiny bit of whatever the heck that is is missing from, say, Chattahoochee. Is there some sort of effect on the Holdin Heaven and Drink, Swear, Steal, and Lie, or is that just a simple double-stop?

13. Boomhauer

Ah yeah, the ol' teased hair.
    I'm 31 right now, and grew up listening to all of this era of country music...Having picked up a guitar in my mid 20's, it's kind of fun noticing things I'd never thought about before (like the specific guitar tone of an intro riff or two ;))

I see that Clint Black is endorsed by Peavey as well as Matchless these days...it's probably right there, but I was unable to find any endorsements for Hayden Nicholas when I was looking around today.

But seriously, thank you guys for the help! This thread definitely has me pointed in the right direction for what I'm looking for.

Jakedog and Les H like this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

What's interesting is that rackmount gear became the thing in the 80's, but the guy who started the whole 80's-style rock thing kept using the same Marshall half-stack on all the VH albums.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  15. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Yeah not a lot of info on Hayden these days gear wise. Matchless was the last I knew for him. First couple of tours he toured with Carvin X100B combos then went to Peavey Classic 50s and from PV to Matchless. Clint has been using a Wizard amp at least in his studio as of late.

When the Boss Blues Driver first came out in the mid 90s it became a very standard OD pedal for about a decade or so for country pickers also.

You can't rule out the old solid state PV Special 130 amps either. At that time I may have seen more of those used for country than about anything else.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't hear the slapback in the Tracy Byrd song. I'd say a Dyna Comp into a Twin, but that's just a guess.

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. Boomhauer

Let's not discount the idea that I'm listening on a laptop, so my hardware may be adding some artifacts that aren't actually there. And when I say "slapback," I don't mean an actual second note or anything, it's just a little somethin' extra that I can't pinpoint in many other songs...almost like the opposite of a tube blooming into a note; the notes in the intro seem to strike, then just hang there, for longer than they do in the rest of the song.

Though, as I'm typing that, it does seem exactly like I'm describing a compressor pedal...

18. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Musician magazine used to have a little box in all their interviews that listed people's gear. Maybe if the person/band was featured you could get a back issue.

19. Jakedog

Also keep in mind... that what you hear on a finished product may or may not be anything like what the player sounded like live. “Studio Magic” is a thing. Ultimately, the records of any time period sounded like the producers wanted them to. Especially in country music. The road band guys then had to try to duplicate those parts and sounds the best they could. There are many stories from the 80’s-90’s I’ve heard from session guys about being mindful to create and play parts that the road band members could play live.

The true hot-shot players who played on their own records like Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Ricky Skaggs, Marty Stuart, Heath Wright, Kieth Urban, etc are one thing. The records made entirely by session cats and then recreated every night by a road band (like the George Straigt and Alan Jackson stuff for example) are totally different animals.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Jakedog

Rackmount gear never caught on much for hard rock guys. Some of them used it for tuners, compressors, delays, etc. But they all also used real amps. I did shows throughout the late 90’s and early 00’s with those bands, and they all always had regular amps on stage. Still mostly Marshalls. With the exception of CC DeVille. Last time I worked a show with him I was running the monitor board and he was using Crate Stealth amps from the early 90’s and a small pedal board. His rhythm player was using a blackface Twin with an fx rack. Most of those guys used Carvins or JCM 800’s back in the day.

Rack rigs were HUGE in the pop and new wave and country world.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.