RiffStation Qs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brett Fuzz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Anyone else use this software ?

I can't get it to "isolate" anything.

Have tried dozens of different tracks, MP3's etc.

Not once have I been able to isolate the guitar part.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Read all the manual. Can't be bothered emailing support.

2. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

Take that egg out of that bread. I know it was in there, I saw it mixed in. Can't you take it out?

Are you familiar with those ads for a piece of hardware that used to say 'remove vocals from any source'? That is sort of part of
    what is happening with software like Riffstation, Coda, Anytune.

It works to the degree that it does, on the notion that for stereo recordings, certain things tend to be mixed to the center, such as vocals kick drum and bass, and other sounds are more likely to be panned to the right or left, such as guitars. You can toss right and left signals out of phase, and the stuff common to both sides, the center, cancels out. Less kick bass and vocals, more guitar. Too much cymbals left? Filter out those highs, leaving the mids. More guitar. If you have an idea the guitar notes are staying within an octave, you can filter out the other octaves, although some harmonics from other instruments are going to be in practically every octave.

Now, your mileage may vary considerably depending on the mix, but this is the theory. An aid to HELP isolate the guitar, so your ears may attend to it with fewer distractions.

The software can also take an educated guess to the harmonic content to possibly give you a rough idea of chords or key. Or even show a spectrogram you can drag a midi note to, to help possibly work out some rough tab. if you see a squiggly line that seems to move with the same pitch and timing as the guitar, chances are, that is the guitar you are seeing, for you to trace.

You do have to use your ears and eyes as well, but such apps are pretty good at arriving at an average tempo for you, although timing can vary throughout a song as well. The chords can be more of an issue- there may be instrumental interplay that doesn't conform to the basic music theory it is trying to overlay upon the notes it sees. C7? Em c bass? Inverted c5?

Oh well, you can slow things down without changing the pitch. Or perhaps change the pitch to where something is easier to play. Kinda nice.

Not bad at all, considering. The computing power to do this amount of work hasn't been around that long.

There is stuff like melodyne plug ins, which can pick notes out of a chord and allow you to edit them, given enough analysis. They are often used with tracks that are already isolated, via access to original multitracks. You can find already isolated tracks, mostly made available for games like guitar hero.

Do you know what really excels at this task? The human brain.

A computer given 2 tracks of compressed audio has a lot of separation of spectrum to contend with. If 3 guitars, a singer and a keyboardist are hitting the same notes, do you think it can untangle those any better than you can?

Those apps are pretty handy, and can make transcription easier. Not miracle workers that can do it all for you.

3. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Hmm, too good to be true eh?

Well, the slow down feature and stuff works great so it's still handy.

Plucks chords out accurately enough to be helpful.

Still a bit of fun to muck around with.

I thought it might have performed better with the isolate feature than it does though.

Thanks for the info.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.