riding lawnmower

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

OK... I need a riding lawnmower......can't go new....looking on CL. do any of you here recommend a brand...ie: John deere....craftsman....toro....bolens are what im seeing in the ads.....

thanks

ce24

2. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Deere's are good.

3. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

I bought a Craftsman last year. My wife talked me into this brand because she liked the young kid sales guy. Well, I have to admit it was a great choice. It was $1800. Get the front bumper installed. It is my third rider, and it is the only one I have had that cuts evenly with the finished look of a push mower.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If your just mowing get a mower not a garden tractor. One with the deck out in front and they turn on a dime.
    Don't know what they sell for used though.

5. 67TeleNut

67TeleNut Tele-Meister

Craftsman for me too.

6. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

my 15 year old snapper is still running strong. They are built to be repairable, with accesable grease fittings and a very simple clutch system that is as smooth as a hydrostatic if adjusted properly. Mine will probably outlive the briggs motor that came on it and still cuts evenly and is pretty much trouble free, 2 blades and 2 clutches and 3 or 4 belts in all that time.
    The bagger system is worth looking for if you are willing to pay a bit more. It works well if I do my part and don't wait till the grass is deep and too wet to mow. My place is very flat and I have tried to eliminate the tight spaces so I would probably be happy with anything that bagged. But any mower that gives me 15 years with a 2 or 3 hour mow every week 8 months out of the year is worth recommending.

7. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

On my second craftsman.Great mowers and easy to work on.

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm mowing an acre plus so that's what im looking at....I'll keep looking for craftsman and deer.

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

14 hp John Deere.

10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Used? John Deere LX176, LX178, similar or look newer. My 1992 LX176 has been pretty ridiculously stable during years of heavy use, like bagging mountains of leaves that sat all winter & are mixed with new grass, even gravel (!) by my cottage driveway. I'm talking days of heavy bagging. 14 HP Kaw. $1000 or so for a nice one. I like the tractor vs mower because I haul stuff, do lots more than cutting grass. Overkill maybe if you just want to cut a small lawn.

If you can swing $2000+ or so do some research & get a GT or X-series, kinda the modern equivalent. The LXs are getting kinda old actually...

I've got a cheap used 'Scott's by JD' at home and my neighbor has an older Craftsman and while they are OK, IME the parts other than the
    engine are cheap, break, and the whole set-up is crude compared to a better JD.

On any of these a basic understanding of IC engines & driveline 'I can fix that' is a plus. But that goes for many things in life.

11. keithcc

keithcc Tele-Meister

I have a vintage Gravely two wheeler with the T head engine, a four wheel Gravely and a GE Elek-Trak. I guess I'm just a vintage kind of guy.

12. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

I went back home to Missouri last week and saw 2 people using a riding mower as a primary source of transportation. Seriously.

13. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

I'm running a Simplicity that I got from my dad, that he got from his dad. It's gotta be 25 years old. Still runs great. The cut is one of the best you'll find. Pushes snow in the winter like a champ. Much better build quality than a craftsman or anything on the lower end of the market.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

This is worth seeing: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Truth is mowing sucks so get the biggest dammed mower you can. Get a swather. One of my brothers (the wierd one) went to an auction to buy a mower and got a swather instead. Old sucker with a Wisconsin engine for 150 bucks.
    He spent a little time getting it started but his mowing time for a couple of acres was almost nothing. [​IMG]

This isn't the one you get the idea.

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My neighbour across the road mows my lawns..he's a mowing contractor... he just picks his time when he's doing his own mowing and comes over and does mine... I hang out on the veranda with a drink, to support...:cool:

He used to have JD's now he's got a new Kubota.... ;)

if he breaks anything at work I weld it up.. mod his trailers,etc.... works out fine...

both my ride ons and a push mower gave up the ghost last year.... I haven't really needed to get another one, atm...:)

Attached Files:

17. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Deere, or Husqvarna, Toro, good stuff.

18. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

This. John Deere.

19. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

+1 there are a few of these around here that must be closing in on 50 years old and are still in regular use, a friend has one that was "retired' from cemetery matinanace, cuts his 2 acres with out breaking a sweat. Plows snow, and tills the garden too!

20. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Craftsman LT1000

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.