1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Riding a Volume Knob

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gitapik, Oct 20, 2018.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have four electrics at this point:

> '57 AVRI Strat with Duncan SSL-1 pickups in the neck and middle and a Twangbanger in the bridge.

> MM Silhouette Special with Lollar Blackface pickups in the bridge and middle and a Tyler "Secret" humbucker in the bridge. I have the Silent Circuit engaged on this one.

> MM Silhouette with Barden's Gatton pickups.

> '69 Les Paul with Duncan Pearly Gates pickups.

The Strat is the only one with a maple board. The rest are rosewood.

I really love all of these guitars, but I've found that the Strat keeps it's edge/crisp qualities with both rhythm and single note fills/solos when I roll back the volume knob, better than the other three at small to mid size venue volumes.

Wondering if this is because it's the only one with the 60 cycle hum or the maple fingerboard (or both)?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Mincer likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've had a lot of guitar's over the years with Maple boards and with Rosewood boards, only thing I've noticed that was different was feel and no tonal differences.
    I'm a big believer in the wood making a difference and there may be a difference in the fingerboard contribution, I just haven't noticed.

We all have that one or more guitar that stands out from the rest and sometimes the reason for that isn't easily determined. All woods have variables within each piece from each species that makes it hard to pinpoint a desired tone form each species, you can only expect a generalized result.
    The only way to find out is to start changing things to see what makes a difference, but that takes you away from what's good now.

gitapik and EnzoDooder like this.
  3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds to me like that Strat has a treble bleed on the vol..

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

What Papa Joe said. :)
    I've added this to my Tele's accordingly.

gitapik and EnzoDooder like this.
  5. EnzoDooder

EnzoDooder TDPRI Member

What others have said. If you find your guitar rolls off high end and loses its "crispness" when turning down the volume knob, it pretty much has nothing to do with the pickups, guitar, or amp, and practically everything to do with the electronics.

When presence and clarity at all volume levels is the name of the game, treble bleed circuits are truly a blessing.

Aside from Roy Buchanan-esque volume knob swells having a little less impact/intensity, treble bleed circuits improved every one of my teles and strats, especially when playing through tube amps that aren't amply turned up (pun not intended).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    gitapik likes this.
  6. gitapik

Definitely most noticeable at lower volumes. So why do people keep telling us to turn it down?

The reason I'd mentioned pickups is that the ones that cancel the hum tend to take a little of the treble out of the equation. Then, rolling down the volume pot, just adds to that.

But if a treble bleed is an option, I'll give my tech a call. Thanks, guys.

7. EnzoDooder

EnzoDooder TDPRI Member

If the ones that cancel hum take a little treble out, then that treble will still be missing when the volume knob is at 10. Treble bleed doesn't add any additional treble when the knob is set to 10, it just retains a lot more of it when you turn the volume down, which gives you the same amount of clarity and presence at any volume level. You want to get quieter, not push your amp further into the background which in turn reduces presence. That's what the tone knob is there for.

I never want to steer anyone in the wrong direction, but your original post just screams treble bleed pot to me.

Chicago Matt and gitapik like this.
  8. gitapik

Very cool. I asked for advice and got it. Definitely going to check the treble bleed out for all my guitars. Thanks!

EnzoDooder likes this.
  9. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Also look at “50’s wiring,” or “Fez Parka” mod, which has a similar effect. You just have to move one wire on a Tele.

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

People use all kinds of values for the treble bleed. It's good to experiment. I've had great results using a 220K resistor in parallel with a 471pf capacitor. The tone sounds the same to me no matter where the guitar's volume knob is set. The tone knob adjusts the overall tone as it should.

Mojotone sells their "volume mod" with these values for $3 bucks on their website, or you can make your own even cheaper. just solder it to your volume knob(s) like this:

bleed.jpg Onward and Upward!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.