Ridiculous level of phones at gig

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Right. But the real issue is when you are right behind that person who is holding his phone directly in your field of view. The oerson(s) behind should not be forced to have double vision, ie the actual concert and the filming of it on the phone right in the middle of your line of sight.

Very good point that I hadn't considered since I'm pretty tall and phones don't block my line of sight. For that matter, being fairly tall I usually stand towards the back at clubs so I'm not blocking views myself.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Went to see the Beths last night. The crowd skewed a bit younger although there were a few greybeards like myself. I was pleasantly surprised by the relative lack of phones in the air.

I find the prevalence of phone use to vary greatly based on genre. I saw Black Midi a few months ago and the audience was far too wild and energetic for anyone near the stage to try to record it on their phone.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Interesting. I wonder if bluetooth streaming the FOH mix would ameliorate some of that…like, “Hey, you guys are the PA. Bluetooth on, volume up.” Probably wouldn’t sound good, but people would realize they’re part of the experience for everyone.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
It's extremely inconsiderate. I can understand taking a photo/clip or two for posterity, but do you really need to record the show on your friggin cellphone so you can post to social media or whatever? Live in the moment for once.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
I don't go to concerts that much anymore - why does the way people enjoy there concerts bother anyone?

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I play a lot of city centre gigs. Sometimes the folks have come specifically to hear us and sometimes, we are the backdrop, to a night out with friends. Our job is to entertain; no-one is memorialising our appearance, or proving their attendance, to their friends and other no-shows. This leaves more space, for dancing and room for proper photographers, to do their business. :cool:
processed-7f887f0b-e01b-4c44-a80c-bba260363e35_NUBsjz14.jpeg