Ridiculous level of phones at gig

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
What bums me out is folk texting on phones while you are playing. Are we that bad.
Right on man! I've been gigging for 40 years. Last November we did a 2 night stand for a local fundraiser. The first night we did a tribute to Led Zeppelin, the next night a tribute to The Who. The band consisted of my former bandmates from the late 80's early 90's... and my son on bass.

Back in the day the crowd was engaged, rockin', and participating. It was fun! On this particular weekend the bar was half full. Those that were there were doing the thumb dance on their phones (a smartphone screen must be the new dance floor). They were completely disengaged. There were 4 bands each night, we were the closers. Every band suffered the same fate.

I decided then and there I had just played my last gig.

Times have changed...

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Went to see the Beths last night. The crowd skewed a bit younger although there were a few greybeards like myself. I was pleasantly surprised by the relative lack of phones in the air.

Cheers,
Geoff

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
I'm very thankful for the simpler times I got to live through.

I enjoy tech for what it does, have built PC's, had 12 in the house at one point, use it at work developing SCADA systems, etc. etc.

But the phone in hand, great as a tool, is a detriment to humans interfacing naturally. I've said this for some time... with all the vehicles for communicating we now have; text, email, video conferencing... we communicate with the ones that matter to us less than we ever did.

We're so caught up in all the superficial ability to do so, we've lost the substance of why personal comms matter.

Last edited:

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Exactly, if i wanted to see the band that I paid for but can only see a forest of arms and screens, i would be fuming. Call me a hypocrite, I do take the odd snippet of vid on my phone from time to time i must confess, but I'm completely aware of my surroundings and make sure I'm not in anyone's way, and then it might be 3 or 4 small grabs over the course of the show and that's it.

If it isn’t a DIY/local show (where you don’t see too many phones, other than disinterested people looking down at them) I still mostly go to standing room only shows and park my ass right in front. I’ve always done that anyway cause I’m the size of a 15 year old, but one more good reason nevertheless.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
If it isn’t a DIY/local show (where you don’t see too many phones, other than disinterested people looking down at them) I still mostly go to standing room only shows and park my ass right in front. I’ve always done that anyway cause I’m the size of a 15 year old, but one more good reason nevertheless.
I'd love to do that, just that I'm 186cm and I tend to block out the view for those behind me

Last edited:

Fredhead59

Tele-Meister
Here's an idea. Have a few LED lights on stage. Any time the phones come out blind the audience. Or just not allow phones.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
Looks like some kind of crop that's ripe for harvest.
Indeed
Screenshot_20220815-184712~2.png

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Mr Phones... errr, Mr Jones..;)

just watching some clips from woodstock '99.... no phones...

just thinking.. everybody in that crowd probably has a phone with them now... that's a lot of phone sales in the following 20 yrs or so..

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Looks downright stupid if you ask me. But then it'd be even more stupid to ask sour auld geezers like myself anything :D

Shango66

Friend of Leo's
I play a regular Gypsy jazz, acoustic vibe in a cafe with punters at arms length away.
last week two young kids sitting in front of us fire up their phones after their meal and play loud games or listen to YouTube music clips. It’s louder than we are…ffs…The parents seemed oblivious to the situation.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I play a regular Gypsy jazz, acoustic vibe in a cafe with punters at arms length away.
last week two young kids sitting in front of us fire up their phones after their meal and play loud games or listen to YouTube music clips. It’s louder than we are…ffs…The parents seemed oblivious to the situation.
I know some kids who would do just that

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Unlike our @boris bubbanov (whitewater paddling) we have a lot of flat water paddlers here - all this going against the current.

What's our next tilting at windmills topic going to be this week? Hasn't it been a while since we've had some good LED headlights or death of manual transmission rants?