Ricky Nelson sessions

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
1656282124669.png

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
"James Burton got his unique twangy tone by using fingerpicks and a flat pick on his 1953 Telecaster guitar. He replaced the first four strings with banjo strings, then replaced the A string with a D, and replaced the low E string with an A."

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
James' technique of playing with a banjo pick on the middle finger changed my trajectory as a guitar player. In the 90's he released a VHS tape explaining his right hand technique... I was hooked!

Once I was comfortable with the finger pick, which took many frustrating hours over several months to master, I became hungry for more challenging and complex runs. In short, it gave me a lot of confidence and opened musical doors I would have not otherwise entered.

I've never looked back. I play everything with the finger pick/hybrid style. It took me to a new level in every genre. I'm glad I spent my last $15 on that Burton video back in the day, it's still paying dividends!

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Speaking of ricky nelson, i would love to know who took the role for him in pulp fiction.

Gary Shorelle !

tele pickin'

TDPRI Member
I had the chance to watch James Burton play his Fools Rush In solo on an unplugged Tele. I was about one foot away from him and he sounded almost as if he was playing through an amp. Just a pick, he hadn’t put his fingerpick on, and the guitar wasn’t his but a friend of mine ´s strung up 9-42