1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ricky and the Stones

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by getbent, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

2. StephenX

StephenX Banned

That's cool about Disneyland. I was living in PA. when I was a young fan, he apparently didn't leave California much to tour. I'm sure I would have gone if I knew about it. There was a thread not long ago about who inspired you to pick up a guitar and I answered Duane Eddy; but when I think back on it, I got the bug first from Rick and James Burton. It was so cool having him end each show playing at a hop and keeping us abreast of his music. I was very saddened when I heard about his plane crash, and I think it was on New Years eve (just like Hanks death). I missed my only chance to see him when he played the Cellar Door and Karla Bonoff opened for him. I kick myself for that! He was a real treasure.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I've seen Karla several times in my life... Karla is an ethereal beauty... earthy, sweet, good voice... she and kenny edwards were together pretty much when I used to go see her.... Glenn Frey joined her once when I saw her about 82.... she had a HIT!

That restless nights record was really good... I burned that one up and that first steve forbert record jackrabbit slim? (weird how things get paired in your mind)

I think Danny Dugmore played the guitars on this.. and I think it is Frey on the harmony...

so brutal... you listen to these words and you know what they are singing about... as a kid, I got to be around some of these people and you could feel all the interplay... the love stories and breakups and hookups... I was so busy being amazed by them... I never really could make sense of all of that... as I've aged... it is so intriguing to think of all that pain in just few blocks in around Sunset Blvd..... and all those great songs....

4. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

getbent, that 1st Karla Bonoff has been in my rotation since the day it was released. one of my all time favorites. the song "Falling Star" gets me every time...'specially this part:
    "And when the birds fly south for a while,
    Oh, I wish that I could go."
    ...and there's this wonderful acoustic guitar bit. goosebumps.

but back to Ricky...i like this number

and this one

5. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

The band X played my wife's grad night at Disneyland in 1985. I kind of doubted her until she showed me the program from the evening. She says they played on the stage that rises out of the ground in Tomorrowland.

I remember it was a big deal to the older kids in my neighborhood when Papa Doo Run Run played our high school (in the Bay Area) in the '70s. Last time I checked, they were still around. (Checks again). Yup. Still are.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

You kids and your fancy pants color pictures!

Rock and Roll and telecasters, that's what I'm talking about!

7. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Thats the way I remember it. My family didn't even have a color tv until I was 16. It took years for me to find a name for that Telecaster cat. I think it was when "Hello Mary Lou/Travelin Man" scored as the best double sided hit (until the Beatles). He got some press then because the guitar work (esp. on Mary Lou) made the name James Burton someone to be reckoned with.

That's cool Uncle Bent that you got to hang out with Karla!!!! I am very envious:twisted: One of the sexiest vocals I ever heard was "Please Be the One"

Don't mean a derailment, but I don't think Bent will mind.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  8. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Love it.

I gotta say, if I had Ricky Nelson's hair today, I'd have a hard time not wearing it like that -- even though I'm a programmer and this is 2010. :D

Also nice to see the original post's reminder that, before all the country-crooner hits and unfortunate plastic surgery, Kenny Rogers was a young, long-haired, country-rock singer.

9. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

10. getbent

my favorite, so far...

11. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

... regarding Mr. Rodgers, his studio Lion Share was one of the top studios in LA in the 80’s

12. rickym

rickym Tele-Meister

Thanks for the vids, y'all. I have been a Ricky fan since I was a kid. I wish he would get a mention alongside the other country-rock pioneers. He'd been playing country since '66 or so.

I've gotta go thru all these vids. The first 3 feature Pete Drake on steel. He was a Nashville session player that also played on G. Harrison's All Things Must Pass & Ringo's Beaucoups Of Blues.

Love the 2nd vid. Ricky's throwing down some sweet, clean soloing on his LP Custom.

13. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The steel player in The Stone Canyon Band was Tom Brumley of The Buckaroos fame. As a long time Rick Nelson fan you ought to know that ... :oops:

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Hard act to follow but Ricky makes that song his own. Great reinterpretation.

15. rickym

rickym Tele-Meister

Absolutely correct, my friend. What was I thinkin'? It was Brumley. I'm looking at some lp credits as I write this. D'oh.

And thanks for catching it!

16. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, we all do mistakes, don't we? I've done them myself ... It was in 1968 - can't remember her name though:oops: ... Hee, hee!

17. getbent

this is the one I've been listening to this morning...

I dig it... I'm gonna learn it today..

where is my time machine... I have three things to do: 1) carry Clarence White's amp out to his car 2) introduce Joey Harris to Country Dick 3 years earlier giving me the spot in the loudest folk band in america 4) have sex with linda ronstadt in her early 30's....

18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

In his autobiography Steve Martin talks about dating Linda. He said he couldn't hardly touch her...too much in awe.

19. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Yeh she's awesome all right.

20. getbent

steve martin was the house banjo player at disneyland in the 60's... he and john mccuen are old old friends (maybe both from garden grove)...

Later John Jorgensen was the house banjo player there...

Mccuen is a kick ass tele player and travis style player...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.