1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ricky and the Stones

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by getbent, Sep 28, 2010.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

dig brumley playing fuzz... kenny rogers... who else is on this 'nugget'?

2. getbent

man, this weird, crazy, cool stuff is coming out...

I dig this! it is brutal and cool at the same time!:D

3. getbent

it is from midnight special 77

I remember seeing it at a girls house on her couch... check that, I remember hearing it and looking up to see what was goin' on.

4. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Thanks for those posts!
    I have been a Rick fan seen I was knee high to a you know what; and I never thought he got his place in history that he so well deserved.

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Had a couple of his vinyl albums with The Stone Canyon Band - they were among my favorites at the time.

Thanks for the vids guys! :cool:

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I've always found it amusing that the band's name, which sounds so down home and country, is taken from one of the priciest areas in Los Angeles. To be fair, it can feel rather remote and rustic up in those hills.

I like the harmonies on the first clip, as well as their take on "Honky Tonk Woman." The Stones can be surprisingly hard to cover well.

7. Telemarkman

Didn't know that ... To me it was just a cool name :oops: ...

One of the songs I liked the best was "Easy To Be Free", with it's great vocal harmonies. Randy Meisner sure was a great backup singer ... And so was Allen Kemp, I might add.

8. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

sounds great, mr. bent

9. getbent

love that easy to be free! I've been working on some old songs... and there is something about the turmoil of that time and that music (country rock) that completely captivates me...

I know it isn't for everyone... but, for the folks who like it.... it is so intriguing... I met Rick a couple of times... I loved him (like most of America) but, I wish I had come to know him... there is something there...

The name is funny, I'd bet the marketing side liked "stone" and "canyon" and since no one would know.. (except Skully).. it was a winner....

All across this country people wear Hollister beach wear... I live in Hollister... uhh, it is 35 minutes to the water from hear... if it was peach wear or apricot wear or asparagus wear or chive wear or garlic wear... okay....

I wish all those midnight specials were available on itunes or amazon.. I'd buy a bunch of them.... I an remember cutting dates short and heading home to watch...

10. Telemarkman

I feel the same way, Randy.:cool:

11. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

My wife has a nice Ricky Nelson story...in the early 70s, he played Fairbanks Alaska....and drew a crowd of about 20 people, including my wife...who was about 14 at the time, and her friend ...despite the meager turn out, he played his full show...and then stuck around to sign autographs...My wife still has hers...

There are many stories about name acts coming up here...and for whatever reason drawing poorly...and staying on stage only long enough to tell everyone to F off...and spliting...but Ricky...he showed some real class....

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Man that first tune is amazing ! I'm gonna dig in more.

Thanks for posting that.

13. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I like the way Tom looked so serene while playing all those fuzzed-out licks on Honky Tonk Woman. A true Zen master. And the harmony on Gypsy Pilot just killed. Was that Meisner playing bass on Gimme Little Sign? That must be the brutal part. ;) Very solid/cool. R&B reinterpreted-I like it.

14. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

"Shut up and play guitar!"
    :cool:

15. StephenX

StephenX Banned

FirstBassman,
    Next time I get to Baltimore I'm gonna place a plaque with that on it next to his bust. What is the IOTA like?

Back to Rick,

That was a happy/sad post about 20 people showing up for Rick in concert. Kudos to him for playing his whole show as if 10,000 people were there.
    At one time in his career he could have easily commanded that kind of attendance. I don't recall him touring much in his heyday. Uncle Bent must know if he did or not?

16. getbent

Ricky toured a ton as a kid... in fact, he toured all his life (with a few breaks) his band was one of the greatest ever and he was a huge draw.... I saw Rick in '66 the first time (I was 6!) and, well, he made me a fan... I didn't get his autograph, but I hung around (with my sisters) while he signed and talked to people (it was either the state fair or county fair) and was just cool... even his band hung out... it was so exciting... I can almost see the dust on my cowboy boots as we stood there...

I saw him play at Disneyland several times (when we moved to Anaheim) and always reveled at how cool the music was and how my friends groaned and wanted to see papa doo run run more.... those shows were just fabulous...

kinda funny to think back on who all used to play at Disneyland and how hokey my friends thought it was...

I have seen tons of 'famous' acts that there were about 40 people there (or less).. the list is LONG... it is just part of the deal... the sign of a true pro is when they still go hard...

my buddy and I saw the fabulous thunderbirds at a beer joint once... two heavy metal bands opened... totally huge crowd... the tbirds came on and... 10 people.

17. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

lol !
    Reminds me of a story about Alan Jackson playing in EuroDisneyland Paris in front of a handfull of people who had no idea who that guy with the moustache was... :lol:

18. Telemarkman

When The Band played their first concert at the Winterland Auditorium there weren't even enough people in the audience to get mad, according to Robbie;) (a handful at the most, from what I've read).

19. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Isn't there a story about the Police playing to three people on their first American "tour?" I seem to remember a story about the folks at the bar wanting to watch a basketball game, so the band watched the game with them and then played when it was over.

20. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

That almost happened to me a bunch of times... but because our singer was more interested in the game than our gig ...:eek::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.