Rickenbacker M-11

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by crackercrumb, May 18, 2021.

1. crackercrumb

crackercrumb TDPRI Member

Does anybody know how many times the M-11 circuit was revised? I'm trying to have a 1956 model rebuilt and the schematic doesn't seem to exist on the interwebs. the one on the Ric page is not the one I have. the phase inverter is totally different and some other things don't seem to jibe with that schematic. I've even seen a few with a ( shudder) SS rectifier. OUTRAGE! anybody? HELP!

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

You realize how spoiled we are by Fender amp documentation when you delve into other brands. ;)

From some Googling it looks like the M11 was basically in the same class as the tweed Deluxe. The schematic on the Rickenbacker site must be pre-1956, as it features 6SC7s and I'm seeing references to 1956 models having 9-pin preamp tubes.

Does yours work at all? Have you or your tech attempted to trace out the circuit you have?

If it's a non-working mess, and you can't find anything, I think you could be forgiven for just rebuilding it as a 5E3.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Wally, drlucky and Dan R like this.
  3. crackercrumb

crackercrumb TDPRI Member

Sorry for the slow reply but it was worth it. I am lucky enough to have met a guy years ago who knows vintage electronics. I sent him this chassis and like me he couldn't find anything about the specs of this particular version. I have come to the conclusion that early amp builders tended to use whatever components were available at the time and didn't bother to make note of these changes. My friend Ted Hayes traced out the circuit and figured out what was what. He liked it so much that he's already building one like it. He says it's similar to a Magnatone circuit of the same era. Here's the circuit and what Ted says about it. "
    This amp uses a DC-coupled cathodyne phase inverter, not the more common AC-coupled cathodyne. Thus no coupling cap between V2A plate and V2B grid." M-11 new.jpg

ThermionicScott and Wally like this.
  4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Worth the wait, indeed! Buy your friend Ted a couple beers for us -- and posterity. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.