Rickenbacker 425 (ntc)

Iain

Tele-Meister
Does anyone have anything to say about this model of guitar?
There's one I like the look of, from '63, I think, modified to have a Bigsby. I'm given to believe it might technically be more accurately designated a 420, as it had no trem to start with.
"Cresting Wave" style (pretty!) and one pickup with a p/up selector-type switch (for tone presets, like an Esquire??)
What would be a value, roughly? It's in perfect condition - other than the mod for the Bigsby, obviously, which has been very nicely done.

Thanks - it looks great and feels good, anyway!

Dennis_UK

Tele-Holic
Never been a fan of Rickys...

..except the wonderful shiny finishes, they always semm to look expensive! I would dearly love a 4001 bass though, those are well cool. And Ricks have always seemed to ave good solid necks, if the basses are any guide. If ya loves it, ya plays it! 8) Any chance of a pic?

Iain

Tele-Meister
will check

that link out, thanks.

No pics, sorry - it's in a shop in town, selling on commission (I've forgotten the Americanism for that, but you know what I mean, I'm sure)

tdp46

TDPRI Member
Rics....

Ian
The Rickenbacker book gives the 420 as non-vibrato from '65-'83 but just to confuse the issue lists the 425 from '58-'72 and says that the 420 replaced the non-vibrato 425 in '65(!!).
Rics are not as collectable as you might think so don't pay too much. The only ones that seem to increase in value are the signature models, Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn, Suzanna Hoffs etc.
If it's of any help I was looking at an early '80s 325 short scale in Glasgow the other week and they were looking at around £800.
Not the same era granted but I'm sure you can work out the math.
Doug

Iain

Tele-Meister
checked your link, Doug - thanks.

seems "mine" is a 425V63, as in "just like George's Ready Steady Go guitar", the one in your link's story, Sticko.
It IS a sweet guitar...

Iain

Tele-Meister
£595

Gordon Simpson's, Stafford Street, Edin,
Looks like I'll have to pass it up - a couple of big bills just arrived to depress me...

Shame, it feels and sounds great.

Pliny Junior

TDPRI Member
I love my single pickup '59 Rickenbacker 425. When not playing a Tele or Esquire, this is a great alternative ..

IMG_6057.jpg