Rickenbacker 12 String!!

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
How do the surfcasters sound compared to Rics? I have seen quite a few videos comparing Danelectros and Rics, but nothing on the Surfacasters.
I agree with David above, but don't have 12 Surfie (yet!).

I suspect if you strung it Reverse-Ric, jacked the treble, and laid in some chorus, you'd be close.

Since I'm a card-carrying anti-Gibson guy, my Greenburst Kokocaster is the best substitute when that tone is needed.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
I agree with David above, but don't have 12 Surfie (yet!).

I suspect if you strung it Reverse-Ric, jacked the treble, and laid in some chorus, you'd be close.

Since I'm a card-carrying anti-Gibson guy, my Greenburst Kokocaster is the best substitute when that tone is needed.
The Surfcaster uses the same bridge as the Old Yamaha Pacifica 12. Gotoh I think.
To flip it you don't get enough down angle on the lower 6 and 5th strings as they string though the back.
They are fine sounding guitars but the rentrant thing makes them sound like a standard 12 not a Ricky.
Think stairway to Heaven vs Byrds.

rocking rooster

Tele-Holic
I have a 660/12 and absolutely love it. Yes it's a bit of a pain to restring it, but when it's due I put an evening aside to do the job in a leisurely manner. The intonation is easy to do as it has a 12 saddle bridge.
As soon as I plug it in and hit an open D or G chord then all the time spent becomes time well spent.
My cunning plan for restringing is 1) remove the 6 strings from the conventional tuners. 2) Change the slot tuner strings one at a time. 3) Fit the strings to the conventional tuners.
I do appreciate that other models come with their own baggage. As others have said, keep the neck dead straight and the nut slots cut as low as possible. If you have an 'R' tailpiece then consider a trapeze replacement.
Happy jangling!

1658406020907.jpeg

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I watched some Youtubes on this pedal & just bought a used one on Reverb. Some mention that the high E & B are in unison but lack the slight detuning so a chorus pedal is suggested. Anyway maybe this thing will be acceptable enough that I can clear one or even two more barely-played guitars from the collection - but selling off the old Ricky will take some consideration.
My verdict on the pedal is - "has merit but ain't nothing like the real thing, baby". For whatever reason adding reverb seems to bring out it's artificial-ness by exaggerating latency and some bothersome resonances. A little delay works a bit better. All in all it's probably more usable with a group than for playing alone at home where it's shortcomings are all too obvious, especially for those of us with real 12-strings begging for more hands-on time. I'm not too disappointed since I got it for a used price.