Rickenbacker 12 String!!

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
How do the surfcasters sound compared to Rics? I have seen quite a few videos comparing Danelectros and Rics, but nothing on the Surfacasters.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a 360/12 in 2017. I'd always idea of owning one after having a friend's for a few months in the late 80s.

I didn't bond with it at all, I tried for a couple of years but I think the nuances of my own playing style have developed too much since the 80s.
It just didn't have the sound or feel I was looking for albeit it was a lovely guitar.

I restrung it fairly regularly with flats and can't say it was too much of a penance to do.
I'm quite at home going through the restringing, cleaning and setting up ritual with a good album or three playing in the background:- a far better way to spend my time than sitting in front of the idiot lantern.

I sold it in August 2020 for a few hundred more than I paid for it, so I can't say it was a bad experience.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
Yeah, you have to slacken the strings that go into the headstock slots to get the truss rod cover in or out. I’ve gone extended periods with the truss rod cover off, for that reason.

And I've gone extended periods with the neck bowed because of the nightmare of adjusting a Ric 12 string's truss rod.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
But then finally adjusting them is so cathartic; they play SO MUCH BETTER with a nice straight neck.

It's tricky to do, though. Dual truss rods? I never get it right at first. One side of the fretboard is perfect, the other a buzz. So I do it all over again and now the buzz is on the other side.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
It's tricky to do, though. Dual truss rods? I never get it right at first. One side of the fretboard is perfect, the other a buzz. So I do it all over again and now the buzz is on the other side.
That’s one issue I haven’t had yet. I’ve just kept the tension on the bolts feeling equal to my hand on the wrench and it’s worked out ok for me. Maybe a fret level would help . . . Assuming there is enough metal there to level those darn tiny Ricky frets over the thick varnished fretboard. 🤣

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
81563bf3-d6a1-4671-9632-6a87866278c7-jpeg.788500

If you lay the guitar down on a table and the neck points up instead of down, it needs a reset.

Probably all the 21-fret 12-strings will need it eventually.
BINGO

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, it's been in the closet for a few years. Now I'm afraid to open it up for fear the tailpiece has exploded, but maybe it's OK and I'm fearing for nothing. It's Schrodinger's Tailpiece!
Or, we’re learning about the beginning of the universe. The BiG Bang was a Ricky tailpiece in a galaxy far, far away, before there were galaxies.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I had one back in 1990. It's a beautiful guitar with onboard compressor. Yes, a bit of a challenge to tune and restring.

I didn't like the middle pickup. A lot of classic Byrds were done on a 2-pickup 360/12.

1657568645020.png

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Years ago, I wanted a Ricky, but wanted a 6 stringer. Instead I found a 12 stringer in a local ad, and went to this guys place with a full wallet hoping to walk away with a new (to me) guitar.
Any way, long story short, the guy completely dissuaded me from buying it, told me about restringing nightmares etc. In the end I walked.
I can't help thinking that his wife had told him to sell it, and somehow he didn't want to.
In the end I never have bought a Ricky, and I don't see one on the horizon either, ah well.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Put Pyramid nickel flatwound strings on that Dano, and it'll get pretty close. They'll also allow you to lower the action as they don't wobble as far as roundwounds. They made a good guitar better.
I love it when this forum gets deeply technical, ‘they don’t wobble as far as roundwounds’. Genius! 👍😄

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I have a beautiful Fireglo 360-12 that I got NOS for a great price a few years ago. The stuff most folks complain about doesn't bother me and my tailpiece hasn't exploded yet. What does bother me is how some of the strings make contact with headstock between the nut and the tuning pegs. I never see anyone talk about it, but in such an expensive, nicely finished guitar, it seems weird to me to have some of the strings rub against the headstock as they pass through it to get the the machine head.

Slip Kid

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I love my ‘91 360/12, although it doesn’t get played much and my fingers feel like sausages when attempting to play it. I do feel lucky to have it at this point since I can’t afford to buy one now. String changing is a PITA and I tend to go a few years between changes. Thankfully my tail piece has yet to implode! The neck profile on mine feels great to be and is one of my favorites out of all my guitars. I used to own a 6 string 360WB and it didn’t feel as comfortable.

4F599838-254D-4C9E-8642-929398A62770.jpeg

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Yes......full chords sound glorious. The ONLY nit-picky issue is that even high E and B string notes are in octaves.....unlike a real 12's unison. But, other than that, I find it more than adequate. (and guitar players in an audience often do "double-takes" when I start out with a 12-string intro) I can't list all the songs that COULD be done on a six, but the 12-string effect just makes a world of difference.
I watched some Youtubes on this pedal & just bought a used one on Reverb. Some mention that the high E & B are in unison but lack the slight detuning so a chorus pedal is suggested. Anyway maybe this thing will be acceptable enough that I can clear one or even two more barely-played guitars from the collection - but selling off the old Ricky will take some consideration.