Rickenbacker 12 String!!

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
That's gorgeous. Looks darker than Fireglow. Is it a special finish?
Thanks for noticing!

I ordered it from Ric for my 20th birthday in 1987 through Wally at U-Crest Music in Depew, NY It is in fact Fireglo, but instead of a typical cherry red fade to pink, the sprayer that day must have fallen asleep and the edges are a very dark blood color, fading quickly to a natural/amber color.

The back is even more pronounced.

It's an odd ball for sure. Matches its owner.

Double Stop

Tele-Afflicted
I’m very happy with my 1993 Plus 12-String. It’s got the wider neck that makes a huge difference with being able to make every note ring out beautifully with arpeggios. Chording and single note lines are a breeze compared to the standard thinner necks.

10C5C965-8833-4571-9C35-B5D648CD1B16.jpeg
1F612DF0-B2AD-4836-86DD-8021F28D85A3.jpeg
B4BC5711-25F5-43A8-B46D-DEA037F479B4.jpeg
FF92A46E-4D67-409F-81C5-47C3272D05A2.jpeg
7A9A5377-3456-46B1-A0D8-4D41286732ED.jpeg
B6B6F00A-03B7-4EB4-977D-B5B8F1716BBB.jpeg

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Thankfully, I'm not one for frequent string changes. I've owned both my electric 12s about eight years. I have yet to carry out a string change. I've tried most of the Rickenbacker 12s, except for the 660-12. None of those have been playable in my view. The 660-12 is the wider necked one, and could be the answer, but being a bit pricey and rare in the UK I'm unlikely to get one. Though I do have a 650S, and have always had a soft spot for the 600 range. I think that the Surfcaster sounds better than the Ricks I have tried, but like the Ricks it has a narrow neck. I keep meaning to sell it. Should I fit a new set of strings before putting it on the market? or just leave a set in the case?

1657477298797.jpeg
1657477342209.jpeg

A few mentions of the 325, a friend of mine has one. He loves it, I cannot play it. I just don't get on with the shorter neck, yet I'm quite happy with a baritone uke, and a solid bodied ukulele bass. Both of which have similar scales to the Rick. Maybe a 350, which is a full scale version of the 325 would be the answer.

Hre is Steve's 325, with my James Burton.

1657477946393.jpeg

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Thanks for noticing!

I ordered it from Ric for my 20th birthday in 1987 through Wally at U-Crest Music in Depew, NY It is in fact Fireglo, but instead of a typical cherry red fade to pink, the sprayer that day must have fallen asleep and the edges are a very dark blood color, fading quickly to a natural/amber color.

The back is even more pronounced.

It's an odd ball for sure. Matches its owner.

It is gorgeous. I like it much better than stock fireglow.

And the 330-style body is perfect for binding.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
View attachment 1003216

The middle one is a 325. A John Lennon model.

Officially it is called a 325c64 Miami. When The Beatles played "The Ed Sullivan Show" in Miami in 1964, Rickenbacker gave John a new Ric as a gift. That's the model. It is John's second Ric 325. And, yes, it really is that much smaller than other guitars. Look at this difference:

View attachment 1003217
Wait a minute… the Ed Sullivan show…in Miami?

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I've just finished changing the strings, tuning and intonating a 1989 Roger McGuinn Rickenbacker 12 string guitar for a customer. If anyone ever asks if you will do that for them you must scream in their face "I'd rather eat flaming dog poo!!"

I'd never worked on one before and so just to see if their was any little tricks I should know beforehand I searched Youtube for videos. There was one that was over an hour long on how to restring and tune one!! Over an hour!!

I'll admit that I've never felt any affinity for Rickies and now after this mind-numbing experience I have even less. They seem to me to be a guitar designed by committee....a committee that had no interaction between members...one person simply made some part of the guitar and then the next person down the line had to figure out how to work around that to make the next part. They are a design disaster IMO. I sort of think of them as what might result from someone making their first guitar without any instruction or guidance...okay for a first attempt but I wouldn't have the gaul to try and sell it....LOL.

I recognize of course they have a unique and distinctive sound and there is a sonic place for them in the pantheon of guitar sounds but the design and construction of them is not something to brag about.

"Eat flaming dog poo!!"
I've just finished changing the strings, tuning and intonating a 1989 Roger McGuinn Rickenbacker 12 string guitar for a customer. If anyone ever asks if you will do that for them you must scream in their face "I'd rather eat flaming dog poo!!"

I'd never worked on one before and so just to see if their was any little tricks I should know beforehand I searched Youtube for videos. There was one that was over an hour long on how to restring and tune one!! Over an hour!!

I'll admit that I've never felt any affinity for Rickies and now after this mind-numbing experience I have even less. They seem to me to be a guitar designed by committee....a committee that had no interaction between members...one person simply made some part of the guitar and then the next person down the line had to figure out how to work around that to make the next part. They are a design disaster IMO. I sort of think of them as what might result from someone making their first guitar without any instruction or guidance...okay for a first attempt but I wouldn't have the gaul to try and sell it....LOL.

I recognize of course they have a unique and distinctive sound and there is a sonic place for them in the pantheon of guitar sounds but the design and construction of them is not something to brag about.

"Eat flaming dog poo!!"
Built a 12 string ‘Strat’ from a kit. Mmmmmmm, flamin’ dog poo!

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
...FWIW my humble Korean Danelectro 12-string stays in tune the best of any of my guitars. It doesn’t sound like a Ric, but it does sound good.
Put Pyramid nickel flatwound strings on that Dano, and it'll get pretty close. They'll also allow you to lower the action as they don't wobble as far as roundwounds. They made a good guitar better.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
On the '60s 12-strings, the necks were skinny but the fingerboard radius was ridiculously small, like 6". Somehow that made more room for strings and fingers than when they went to a flatter radius on the same skinny necks. There was a visible elevation change between each pair of strings.

I’m very happy with my 1993 Plus 12-String. It’s got the wider neck that makes a huge difference with being able to make every note ring out beautifully with arpeggios. Chording and single note lines are a breeze compared to the standard thinner necks.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
It is gorgeous. I like it much better than stock fireglow.

And the 330-style body is perfect for binding.
That Rose Morris 1993 export model above, with the f-hole, is gorgeous and a perfect example of what Fireglo is supposed to look like.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
Wait a minute… the Ed Sullivan show…in Miami?

Yeah, Ed took the show on the road. The second Sullivan appearance for The Beatles was in Miami. John actually used two different Ric 325s for the band's two Ed Sullivan appearances in '64:

February 9th 1964...John's using his 1958 Ric 325:
1657485516697.png

February 12th, 1964...John using his brand new 1964 Ric 325:
1657485787434.png

The boys also met Muhammad Ali while down there in Miami.

1657485296445.png

tweeet

Tele-Afflicted
Nearly every thread I've read on this site over the years about Rics...about 70/80% of the time someone will express issues with bridges...the design of the knobs and electrics....and especially the necks...you'd think Rickenbacker would listen to the public...and maybe change one or two things....but it seems they don't and are steadfast in maintaining the same designs. Car designs move forward...planes...most things really...but not the Ric.

DavidP

Friend of Leo's
A very timely thread, as I have restringing my 360-12 on the to-do list --something that I really dread!

I had not known of the Winfield tailpieces until now!! I'm tempted to get one as both a preventive maintenance measure and a restringing stress reliever.

Now the question is which one: harp or trapeze?? Just the tailpiece or whole conversion kit??

Anyone got pics/experience of fitting them on a 360/12?

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Nearly every thread I've read on this site over the years about Rics...about 70/80% of the time someone will express issues with bridges...the design of the knobs and electrics....and especially the necks...you'd think Rickenbacker would listen to the public...and maybe change one or two things....but it seems they don't and are steadfast in maintaining the same designs. Car designs move forward...planes...most things really...but not the Ric.
I've wondered much the same.....especially the complaints about the thin, narrow necks. The first time I even held a Rickenbacker guitar, a six-stringer, I felt the neck was FAR too narrow.....and this was around 1975, long before I had concluded big fat necks were more comfortable. I'll never own a Ric......and the main reason is their necks. ;)

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I think that the Surfcaster sounds better than the Ricks I have tried, but like the Ricks it has a narrow neck. I keep meaning to sell it. Should I fit a new set of strings before putting it on the market? or just leave a set in the case?
If you do decide to sell that Surfcaster, please let me know; I have 3 Surfcasters and would love to add a 12.
IMG_20210731_131226_600.jpg

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
A very timely thread, as I have restringing my 360-12 on the to-do list --something that I really dread!

I had not known of the Winfield tailpieces until now!! I'm tempted to get one as both a preventive maintenance measure and a restringing stress reliever.

Now the question is which one: harp or trapeze?? Just the tailpiece or whole conversion kit??

Anyone got pics/experience of fitting them on a 360/12?
Here is a 360/12 I used to own, with a Winfield harp tailpiece.

F48728B6-C501-41F7-8131-84CC9F57D60C.jpeg

And here is the 610/12 I currently own with a Winfield trapeze tailpiece.

6E5D4C97-0CCC-4543-A4E3-A1779A6D0213.jpeg

Either of them will install easily. The harp is a direct fit replacement for the “R”. The trapeze requires you to also replace the bracket, which is a drop-in replacement (no drilling).

The choice depends on aesthetics. After much thought I settled on the harp for the hollow body 360 and the trapeze for the solid body 620. FWIW, the trapeze looks a lot like the genuine Rickenbacker tailpieces that predate the “R” — like on George’s 360 — but Rickenbacker never made anything like the harp, at least that I’ve seen. So the trapeze look is arguably more “authentic”. The harp, however, retains the shape of the “R”.

(BTW the 360 also has Winfield’s drop-in tune-o-matic bridge, which is another great upgrade.)

Last edited:

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I love my Ric 330-12, and yes, changing strings is a PITA, but wait til you try to adjust the double truss rod. It's the ultimate Catch-22 with the truss rod cover.
Yeah, you have to slacken the strings that go into the headstock slots to get the truss rod cover in or out. I’ve gone extended periods with the truss rod cover off, for that reason. Judging by your pic, maybe you do to.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
If you do decide to sell that Surfcaster, please let me know; I have 3 Surfcasters and would love to add a 12.
View attachment 1003313
Unfortunately that's a bit tricky as I'm in the UK. Mine is a Japanese Jackson it may be a '92. There was recently a Seafoam Green one for sale on eBay, (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Jac...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557) the seller claimed that it was a '92 and the serial number is 4 later than mine. I did ask how he established a production date, but got no response. His inspection card does not show a date. As a Surfcaster fan do you know how to date one by the serial number? I have seen listings, but only for the Charvels.

1657489955034.jpeg

1657489665349.png