Rick Beato lesson - Basic Jazz Theory

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by LKB3rd, Jun 25, 2017.

1. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

This is for someone who understands basic theory, knows how to derive the 7 chords from the major scale, knows that V resolves to one, knows what the circle of fifths is. Wonders what the heck is going on in jazz where they switch keys all the time :p
    It's excellent in my opinion, and I have seen people here asking about stuff that he lays out very nicely here. Hopefully those people see this :)

Veltek, JayFreddy and teleaddicted like this.
  2. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rick is really exceptional in both his technique and theory. He's kind of like the best unknown guitarist that I've never heard of before.

Veltek likes this.
  3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting this. Rick Beato is a great teacher. He's got great ears as well, although he claims he does NOT have perfect pitch... Coulda' fooled me! ;)

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Don't show this to a blooz guy -- exploding head syndrome.

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

The videos of his son demonstrating his perfect pitch, PLUS ability to instantly recognize and name/sing all the notes of any crazy dissonant chord is pretty incredible. This is at age 7 or thereabouts too. He has a video about how he discovered his son had perfect pitch (he would always sing the Star Wars theme in the correct key without a reference :p ) and how he taught him that it was a Bb, not the Star Wars note :)

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

learning a lot from Beato's videos

generous guy!

7. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Great videos! Great guy!

8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have a friend who is a Berklee graduate, and I am too, and we agreed that the quality of instruction in these free YouTube videos is as good as many of the classes at Berklee. This particular one would fit right into a first year theory class.
    He does advanced stuff too like the ones where he analyzes particular players and their style and licks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.