Richlite Curse

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Milspec, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

download.jpg

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I like maple , rw , and ebony
    If I bought one with Richlite , I would look at it for maybe 20 seconds , and then I would PLAY it...?

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Monkey balls ! Does anything eat the fruit ?

Mimosa is fast growing and very hard ; another possible alternative.

4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had a Martin D-16GT that had a richlite board. At first, I was put off, then soon realized it was just fine. I actually grew to like the feel of it.

INFANT, Jakedog and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I dragged Gibson in as an example of the exact opposite of how a company could have handled this responsibly. They got caught with their pants down one way or another by not being proactive and getting out in front of this issue. Instead of getting out ahead of the issue like other companies they got caught with their pants down and instead of saying Sorry and launching a plan to do better they got political and whined about the government making it hard for them. Just one more symptom.. they were too busy buying up non-related companies and working on robot tuners to see this coming.

Gibson eventually was charged & settled... it was not a photo op/stunt. Gibson forfeited about $250k of wood (That's a lot of wood!) and paid $300,000 in fine + had to make a $50k donation. The case was about wood from Madagascar and there was no legal way to import any of that wood from Madagascar at the time under either US or Malagasy law.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    drlucky, Telemarx and Jakedog like this.
  6. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i'd think osage orange, aka bowdark, would be difficult to work with due to the number of knots and the very crooked nature of the wood

Harry Styron likes this.
  7. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I have no issues with Richlite.

8. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

On an acoustic guitar the top (soundboard and braces) I demand wood. I would not consider any composite. The soundboard has too large of an impact on tone. The fingerboard material, simply not as much - it's more of a feel issue. Richlite fingerboards feel good to me. And if they offer more stability and durablity, heck that's an upgrade IMO. (shrugs)

Jakedog likes this.
  9. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

No, not really a fruit. If you open one up, it’s just seeds and fibers growing out from the center.

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

That's also a Pomegranate. I tried to cut one M B in half, but it stunk too bad.

I think w today s sawing methods and roasting you could use the wood as FB s , don't know for sure until someone trys.

11. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Noticed a couple of posts here about Hagstroms. I played a Hag for several years -- can't remember the model number but it looked a bit like a 2xP90 SG and was not an expensive guitar. It had Hagstrom's Resinator fretboard which looked good, felt good and added a nice 'snap' to clean notes when asked -- no complaints at all. I did sell the guitar eventually but it was nothing to do with the fretboard. Maybe some other guitar companies should look at this stuff, unless Hagstrom has got the recipe all patented up.

I do have a Martin with it's faux ebony-like resin fingerboard. Yep, so far, after two years of light use, it's fine, although it doesn't feel quite as nice as the Hagstrom.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    lammie200 and Telecaster88 like this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1 on that.
    My Godin Summit CT P90 has it and IMHO find it to be a great playing neck. Sold my LP after getting the Godin (but more than just the Richlite board contributed to that decision).

13. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

I think the lack of sales to the complaining whiners, who say that they will never buy a guitar from any maker that uses Richlite, will not hurt anyones bottom line.

14. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

As was previously stated, if you are not happy with the build materials of new guitars, choose one from the thousands of instruments already available. As an example, GuitarCenter.com currently lists 10,965 used electric guitars (this figure includes bass guitars) and 4,280 used acoustic guitars. Prices ranging from sub $100 models to those 4 figure ones from Taylor, Gibson, and Martin. I purchased my last bass guitar from them. It was listed in "Excellent" condition, and arrived as promised.
    Recycling is a good thing.

15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I don't know much about acoustics, but every once in a while I'll play some in a showroom. It's happened twice now where I've played a Martin that I really liked that turned out to have a Richlite board. And then I was like "uuuuhhhh," trying to figure out why I didn't really like it.

It's how I've been conditioned. I've had it burned into my mind that fretboards can only be made of particular woods. Had I not read up on the model specs, I probably would have went along assuming it was ebony.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

It's a while since it happened, it was something to do strict rules about how rosewood is processed in India before shipping and the company brokering the wood were fudging the paperwork to make it look like they were taking it out in less of a raw lumber form than they actually were. I think it does originate with Indian law rather than CITES but I can't remember much about it.

I had a discussion about CITES and issues surrounding wood with someone senior at... well, I won't drop him in it but a senior executive at one of the very big US manufacturers and asked about the Gibson thing. He said he was offered that same wood at a very good price, looked into it and realised it was too good to be true so turned it down. He subsequently heard other US manufacturers had done the same. When he heard Gibson were looking at it, he was an ex-employee there ands was still friendly with people senior at Gibson so phoned them to say, look, I know it's a good deal but these guys have a really bad track record and that wood is not going to be legal. They bought it anyway.

So they may not have personally knowingly broken any laws, but it's like buying an Ipad from that guy down the local pub with no front teeth who swears his brother works at Apple and gets them cheap - you can technically plead innocence, but you know the score really. It's all water under the bridge anyway these days but I don't think Gibson deserve a great deal of sympathy for the wood debacle, whatever the actual law that was broken - they took a risk in the interests of a good deal and it came back to bite them.

drlucky likes this.
  17. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

If it plays good, then it is good.
    If it don't, then it ain't.

They can build my guitar out of trash cans and socks as long as I get a plank that rocks.

Old duck, Jakedog and idjster like this.
  18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nobody has to buy one...

I have used Wenge fretboards on a couple of builds and I don't especially like working with it because it is splintery and porous but it makes a nice fretboard for playing on and that is what's on my #1.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

That is either truly beautiful or truly ugly... depending on what you tell us it is.

Telemarx, Mike Simpson and awasson like this.
  20. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Good to hear. From the reviews/demos I've found they sound really nice and seem well constructed. I'll have a chance later in the week to play one for the first time. Looking forward to it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.