1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Richie Kotzen - Signature Telecaster Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by davidP7, Apr 12, 2021.

1. davidP7

davidP7 TDPRI Member

Hi all, l hope everybody is staying safe out there. I have a question, I have been listening to Richie Kotzen's music for a while, as a solo artist and as a member of the Winery Dogs. Great guitarist, but I have a question on his telecaster, when you see his signature model on videos of him in concert or explaining his guitar I noticed that when you look at the guitar closely there is a small switch in the middle of the knobs. Can anybody please tell what that tone switch does. I would like to buy his signature guitar but on telecaster being sold, the switch is not there, it's missing. Does any have a clue? Thank you everyone.

2. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I too was tempted by the Kotzen model. Local Fender dealer had a few in. I wasn’t impressed at all.

One sold but ended up coming back in, the buyer was convinced it was a counterfeit/knock-off. The guitars were on the wall for a loooong time!

3. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Richie adds a tuner to his guitar (the white ring around the volume control). If I had to guess, it's a mute switch that activates the tuner so he can tune quietly.

He doesn't mention it in his rig rundowns that I've seen though.

edit: Confirmed, that's what it is. He mentions it 2:55 into this video:

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

On his personal guitar, he adds an on-board tuner. It’s a little disc that mounts on the shaft of the volume pot. The switch turns it on and off.

The Kotzen teles are really sweet guitars, but you’ve gotta be into that model. They aren’t “traditional”. Big neck. Pretty fat profile. The DiMarzio Chopper T in the bridge is a pretty beefy pickup. A medium output humbucker. Way hotter than a regular tele pickup. DiMarzio Twang King neck pickup. Not very much like a regular tele neck pickup. The guitar does not have a tone knob. Where the tone knob would normally be, the guitar has a rotary switch for switching the bridge pickup coils between series and parallel modes. Flatter 12” radius. Jumbo frets. Contoured body. Except for the general body and headstock shape there’s not a lot about it that most people would consider “tele”.

It’s a great guitar. I’ve played a couple and I absolutely love them except for the big neck. I haven’t taken the plunge cause I’m just not sure I could live with it.

Treynor and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Everything you need to know.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

image.jpeg
    I love mine!
    It will have a set of noiseless Kinman pickups very soon.
    The originals sound good, but the neck pickup is a true single coil, and it hums, so ....
    I should get it back in a few days.

teletimetx, SparkleFart and Jakedog like this.
  7. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I have a T style a local guy made. I had him change the pickups to the Chopper T/ Twang King combo. Everything else is stock Tele. Three way switch, etc. I love the way the guitar sounds. Especially the Twang King. It’s strattier than a regular Tele neck pickup.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Jakedog

I assume you’re switching out the series/parallel switch for a normal tone pot as well?

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hi Greg!
    Nope, I'm going to re-purpose it as a phase switch.
    I dislike and don't use tone pots.
    I'm also going to put the switch first, nearest the switch.
    I like the volume control further away, so I don't accidentally hit it, and turn myself down.
    I really have very little use for potentiometers.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Jakedog

I forget sometimes that you’re the other guy here like me! Turn em up and leave em up! Hahahaa! It’s the best way to play. I have no use for a tone pot, either.

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. davidP7

davidP7 TDPRI Member

I got this,..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.