Richard Butlers Lyrics/poetry philosophical perspective

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, May 11, 2021.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Richard Lofthouse Butler (born 5 June 1956) is an English singer, songwriter and painter. Butler came to prominence in the early 1980s as lead singer of the rock band The Psychedelic Furs and went on to found the alternative rock band Love Spit Love in the early 1990s, during a hiatus of the Psychedelic Furs.
    Richard Butlers Vision of contemporary society has the ring of the bells Ginsberg Burroughs and Ferlingetti were ringing. dissecting the compound myths and fictions that had been molded in the the story of our contemporary world . A laser slashing through empty visions and half truths designed to lull us back into to dream state of controlled consumerism, supporting a power structure that eats the lives of it's subjects in vampire bursts of rapaciousness.

Well done Dickie you saw us straight , thanks

images (1).jpg

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I always thought of the Psychedelic Furs as a less edgy, more radio friendly Bauhaus and Richard Butler as the budget Peter Murphy.

....and of course Peter Murphy is the budget Bowie :D

Fendereedo and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

The Furs were awesome. Saw him up close and live Irvine Meadows 1986.

4. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

I like Richard Butler a lot, but I was never into the Furs much. It was Love Spit Love that hooked me in. I was fortunate enough to see them twice in the early/mid 90s. The 2nd show was pretty intimate in that it was at a small bar in Minneapolis and only like 20 people showed. Which probably sucked from their perspective, but was a unique experience from mine.

I still listen to LSL a few times a year. Good stuff.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I got to see the Furs around a half dozen times (they seemed to enjoy playing The House of Blues long after their heyday). Always fun, always a pro performance ( as opposed to say Seal, who was a goof live ).

But the work that impresses me most is Richard's 2006 solo album. Although it is depressing, for some.

buster poser likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like some of Peter's work, after Bauhaus, but I seriously doubt he belongs with Butler or Bowie.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. GAS Giant

GAS Giant TDPRI Member

People forget about the Furs...Love My Way was such a huge fanfare for things to come. I often just follow the melody and tune out the lyrics, but his were ornate and cool, like a cigarette exhalation. I thought that they were an island unto themselves...I hear a little bit of the Cure in Sister Europe...all pretty good until Heartbreak Beat...Until She Comes was a good return to form. If recent memory does not fail me, there was something newish from them that was solid...

Fendereedo and buster poser like this.
  8. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I liked the first album...as far as Ginsburg/Burroughs/Ferlinghetti, that is pretty much standard Beat fodder for sophomoric undergrad wannabes. How about some Celine/Rimbaud/Valery/Mallarme?

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. ping-ping-clicka

Well, pause thank you for sharing that . You are certainly a discriminating listener, that is noted, and you just might be an observer of modern culture with switch blade instincts. I defer to your insight.
    strutting asshole.jpg

ElJay370 and Fendereedo like this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Well...let's say it's 2012 and you're trying to book a show. You want an artist that cuts an imposing figure...lithe, ethereal, androgynous, dynamic...backed by a band with the uncompromising edginess that good rock and roll demands.

You can't afford Bowie. So what do you do?

You go with the next best thing. Someone with a similar level of cultural relevance that mines the same veins of confrontational boundary pushing, with a literate fan base of rebels, outcasts, and scene makers.

But you can't afford Bauhaus either. And Peter Murphy has ensconced himself in a 19th century chateau deep in the Belgian countryside where he's watching Fellini films, studying entomology, and isn't picking up his phone. What then?

Well..the venerable Psych Furs are anxious to get back out on the road. They'd be more than happy to play whatever club gig, art opening, or gothic bat mitzvah you might have planned, and all they ask for in exchange is food, lodgings, and a few cases of Newcastle.

You might not get the same transcendental experience, and you won't feel as if the band you're watching is as important, but once the opening chords of "Pretty In Pink" wash over you as an eager and appreciative audience throws their hands in the air in joyful recognition, you'll likely discover that you don't mind.

:lol:

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Loved the Psychedelic Furs back in the early 80s, not so much later, but that early material was great. I was glad I saw them way back. Never really followed Butler's later career though.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  12. ping-ping-clicka

I liked that the P-furs did their first two albums, a lot.
    GD5144632@SAINSBURY-TATE-Boy-Sm-861.jpg

basher and Fendereedo like this.
  13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

First two were blinders, really good.

14. ping-ping-clicka

:twisted:

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I saw them a few times. Always a good show.
    I saw them in a club in maybe 9th grade and got in some trouble for the late hour on a school night. A year later the Blow Monkeys opened for them, that was a fantastic show. Heartbreak Beat was garbage but nobody’s perfect. I still enjoy a lot of their material.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.