Rice Cooker?

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
I just saw this thread, but I would highly recommend a Zojirushi. I've had one for years, using it several times per week, and it still works as well as the day I took it out of the box. The Japanese know what they're doing when it comes to making rice cookers. It's worth the extra hundred bucks.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
We've got a 20+ year old basic Panasonic model that's stood the test of time. Stills works great. Lately we've been taking the lazy route and buying these individual serving, microwavable Minute Rice cups. No fuss, no muss. Down side is the containers are plastic and have to be recycled (hopefully).

1661200323136.png

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
Rice Cookers, who has one and which one's are very good? I would like to get one. Maybe a medium size one. I have seen them from $50-$500! I would want one that is easy to clean and has a steam basket for veggies and things. How long can you leave the rice in them? I know some families that just leave theirs on the counter and it has rice in it all the time! It must be good to make small batches for the two of us or larger batches if we are making something else or have company. I don't think it's necessary to spend $150.00 on a rice cooker to tell you the truth. I was hoping for something under a hundy that would be easy to clean. I want one for the the colder season coming up. We eat potatoes and pasta all kind of ways and I make rice in a stovetop pot for the most part. But it doesn't keep well after that. The veggie steamer tray is a must because my housemate is cooking challenged and she needs things to be easy for her. lol

Give me the reviews please!

Edit in: This is for ease of use. My housemate cannot cook and will not watch things on the stove or move and manipulate pots. She burns things and ruins food constantly. Also to keep rice in a cooker for 24 hours or so to keep using it for more meals or desserts. I have no problem flipping, straining, or doing things from scratch the old fashioned way of basic cooking. But she's on the hook to cook two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday. We have counter space and this cooker can stay on the counter during cool seasons.
I use mine for everything almost BUT cooking rice! Ha. I steam veggies, esp. Asparagus with butter and garlic/Cajun spices. Well I have used it a few times for rice. It was NOT $50. Maybe 35 back when. It is a "plain Jane"/vanilla model with one switch, COOK and spring loaded to auto pop into the "Warm" position when rice/veggies are ready. It only has a little wire rack but no cage. It takes 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice ratio (no rack used for rice), plus salt to taste. Same one cup water for veggies. Got 2 cups of rice? Then 2 cups of water! I hit it with a shot of Olive Oil cooking spray beforehand so rice doesn't stick nearly as much. The brand is AROMA. Relax and enjoy!

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I found it to be too bulky and gave it away. Of course, every gadget that I buy gets tossed or given away: Air Fryer, InstaPot.

I use the tried and true method of a small pot, water and rice works fine. It worked for my mom.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I found it to be too bulky and gave it away. Of course, every gadget that I buy gets tossed or given away: Air Fryer, InstaPot.

I use the tried and true method of a small pot, water and rice works fine. It worked for my mom.
I have an InstaPot I use almost every day, particularly in summer when the need to keep the temperature down is important.

Air fryers, however… 👌

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Depends. If you're makin' good jack, you can get good crack. And I think that covers just about everything while you're in "this life".

I don't think it's a matter of money. There are certainly inexpensive electric kettles. It's more about how often you make tea. Also, in the UK, the 220V means that electric kettle boils water really quickly.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I grew up in Beaumont and SW Louisiana, eating rice sometimes twice a day. In fact, I got fed so much rice as a kid, that for years as a young adult i wouldn't touch white rice; dirty rice or Spanish rice were acceptable.

Beaumont had a rice growers association; for a time my dad had a bumper sticker on his car that read. "Beaumont...have a rice day!" 😑 I swear I am not making that up.

I've tried a few times, and discovered I don't have a knack for it. My ex and both her daughters could cook rice fairly well. After they moved out, I attempted to cook what rice they had left, and it was edible but nowhere near the texture I wanted.
So it's back to single serving microwave bowls, or Minute Rice if I need more to go with a big pot of chili or red beans.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Last edited:

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
While I can cook rice several ways, I usually use a cooker. Had a one button model from 1981 until 10 or do years ago when the aluminum insert developed a pinhole leak. Got a newer fancier model. Mostly brown rice these days.

As for other gadgets, air fryer took over from toaster oven and instant pot from crock pot. All better than their older counterparts.