Rice Cooker?

reactor99

Tele-Meister
This might be up your alley
One switch, easy to use and clean. As you probably know, rice cookers are also great for oatmeal, grits, and all kinds of grains.
Note, the smallest size doesn't have the steamer. IDK how many hours the stay-warm feature is good for

srvy

Tele-Meister
I once used rice, water, and an Instant Pot to make the world's greatest industrial adhesive. Seriously, it was a disaster. Others, such as my son, have great success with the Instant Pot but not me.

I have gone back to the simple recipe of 1 part rice, 2 parts water, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 14 minutes, remove from heat, fluff with a fork, let sit covered for 5 minutes. Cleanup is the pan & lid. Simple and works for any quantity of rice. The only thing a rice cooker will save you from is simply putting a lid on a pot and stirring it with a fork.
This is the way!

My wife is Filipina and rice and veggies are her jam. Ten or more years ago I thought I was being helpful I bought her an expensive Zujirushi fuzzy rice cooker. She used it once then the next day pulled out her old beat up pan and lid and made her rice for the day. The expensive cooker collected dust till I boxed it up and took it to the basement storage. This is a woman who has to have rice every day or she feels hungry. I asked her once why she insisted on that pan and said My grandmother used this pan then her mother who gave it to her when she got a work visa to come to the USA to work sewing in a rural Missouri town making military and school and college band uniforms. I took the fancy rice cooker the next day to the good folks of Goodwill.

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's

First off, be cautious with letting rice 'sit out' or reheating several times. There are some bad bacteria that have gotten many rice sitters super sick. Be cautious and research what you may get into.

Second, method I learned does not need much pot watching, so a rice cooker is way too much.

Pot with tight fitting/factory lid
Put what rice you want in it
Fill water until the rice is covered by the thickness of your finger. A little more if you want more damp rice or it's brown rice.
Bring the pot to a boil (5mins), stir, put the lid on, shut the heat off and leave it set 20 minutes.
No peaking, you duck.
Open and fluff with a fork or spoon.

You can add lentils to the rice, same water measuring method at the start.

Best rule to follow with rice is put leftovers in the fridge as soon as possible and only ever reheat once and reheat it properly. Cooled and reheated carbs/cereals/pastas etc., are excellent sources of resistant starch:

Last edited:

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
Rice is not good for you!
Bit of a blanket statement. In what way? Rice is not usually eaten alone and as part of a balanced diet it's fine. If it's all you eat you will have nutritional deficiencies. It is high in calorifc value and some people can overeat it because white rice has the fibre removed and it's moreish and easy to not feel full. Like with pasta, portion control is the key to not consuming too many calories. Shorter grains have a higher Glycemic Index (GI) but if paired with other low GI foods it's not as much of an issue. White basmati has the lowest GI rating of all white rices. There is a Bangladeshi rice that was bred purely for a lower GI. Brown rice is ideal as you get the bran and the fibre but it takes longer to cook. There is also black rice (not the black glutinous rice) sometimes called sacred or forbidden rice that is similar to brown rice in nutrional value and tastes great.

Rice unto itself is not bad for you. Overeating it is.

Nutrition is a combination of a number of overlapping factors:

Last edited:

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I lived in Asia for a long time and a real-deal rice cooker is well worth it IF you eat a lot of rice. These days I use the Instant Pot for rice and a TON of other stuff. Doesn't leave the countertop. And I almost never use kitchen gadgets.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
I got a cheap Decor red plastic tub with a converse and no-converse lid for $9.95 at K-Mart. That with 4:3 water/ rice ratio , 10 minutes in the micro- wave et voila- perfect steamed rice. I aint fancy.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Boil the rice for 8-10 mins, then drain into a colander with a lid and place above a pan of boiling water for 5 mins to steam through it.. perfect fluffy rice!

No need to spend $100-200 on a gadget to do same that will probably never leave the cupboard.
If that works for you, that's great... and it would probably work for a lot of people.

My wife is half Japanese, and we'd never be without a good quality Japanese rice cooker. I don't know the brand name, but it works great and you can keep rice warm in it for probably 48 hours without it getting crusty. Ours stays out on the kitchen counter, it's never in the cupboard. Just depends on what your needs and desires are.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Rice is not good for you!
I can't eat rice as the main portion of a meal, I have diverticulosis and it screws my digestion up. As in twisting knife in the gut for at least 24 hours, sometimes up to 72.....

I do love it with some butter, next to a large helping of fish, beans and salad. No problems then. Old guts need fiber....

When I was young I could have donuts as a meal. That would seriously mess me up now. Sucks, I wouldn't mind having donuts as a meal again, lol.....

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
We have a "dumb" rice cooker. One button, no muss no fuss. Love it. Absolutely love it.

Put your dry rice in, fill with water to the corresponding line, push the button and walk away. If you like, add some seasonings (not traditional, but it works). Ours gets used 3-4 times a week.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
We bought one of these on recommendation of our daughter. Works like a champ!

1661172042609.png

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
I have one I got as a wedding present in 1990. Still cookin' away. I use it all the time. Two cups (i've managed three), no fancy settings, just add 2/1 water to rice and press the button.

Brand is "national"

Last edited: