Rice Cooker?

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I love a rice cooker, set it and forget it. The trick of course is the correct ratio, I'm not at sea level so I had to tinker with it a bit. We have a Cuisinart with one button, works great for us.

1660767825585.png

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
We were given a cheapie that was no better than the stove, we got a small size instant pot that works well, easier cleanup than the other one. The small instant pot was $39.

rewind

Tele-Meister
Rice is a staple of mine and as Peegoo had mentioned, I use the first finger joint method for the proportions.

Cooking it is just as easy. Bring to a boil and let boil until you see craters forming on the surface. Cover tightly and let cook at lowest setting for 10 minutes. Remove off heat, fluff with a fork and cover for another 5 minutes or until you are ready for it.

Edit: The proportions are for white jasmine rice, basmati rice needs more water initially.

Last edited:

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
Rice is a staple of mine and as Peegoo had mentioned, I use the first finger joint method for the proportions.

Cooking it is just as easy. Bring to a boil and let boil until you see craters forming on the surface. Cover tightly and let cook at lowest setting for 10 minutes. Remove off heat, fluff with a fork and cover for another 5 minutes or until you are ready for it.

^This. I learned to cook in a Chinese restaurant kitchen under the eye of a 5* chef from Hong Kong, where I learned the Chinese phrase "stupid unto death" due to the times it was yelled at me. This is how we'd do small portions. Big ones were done in a steam oven.

pixeljammer

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Though we are both capable of making rice manually, we have a [Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer, 1.0-Liter], and it's been great. It's a good size for 2, but it can make enough for 6.
Yes, it sings a song. Not the awesome songs that our old Korean one sang, but still.

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Rather than get a specialty appliance for each type of food, I suggest investing in a high quality set of pots and pans that are versatile enough to cook anything.

Otherwise you’ll end up with a rice cooker, a broccoli cooker, a baked potato cooker, a mashed potato cooker, a hot dog cooker, etc., and that will all take up a lot of kitchen storage space.

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m with Junkyard regarding gadgets. I use my enamel lined cast iron Dutch oven for big batches of rice and SS pot for smaller ones. I prefer the stove because you can fry the spices in the same pot prior to adding the rice. Finger digit measurement method works for me with any type of rice.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Rice Cookers, who has one and which one's are very good? I would like to get one. Maybe a medium size one. I have seen them from $50-$500! I would want one that is easy to clean and has a steam basket for veggies and things. How long can you leave the rice in them? I know some families that just leave theirs on the counter and it has rice in it all the time! It must be good to make small batches for the two of us or larger batches if we are making something else or have company. I don't think it's necessary to spend $150.00 on a rice cooker to tell you the truth. I was hoping for something under a hundy that would be easy to clean. I want one for the the colder season coming up. We eat potatoes and pasta all kind of ways and I make rice in a stovetop pot for the most part. But it doesn't keep well after that. The veggie steamer tray is a must because my housemate is cooking challenged and she needs things to be easy for her. lol

Give me the reviews please!

Edit in: This is for ease of use. My housemate cannot cook and will not watch things on the stove or move and manipulate pots. She burns things and ruins food constantly. Also to keep rice in a cooker for 24 hours or so to keep using it for more meals or desserts. I have no problem flipping, straining, or doing things from scratch the old fashioned way of basic cooking. But she's on the hook to cook two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday. We have counter space and this cooker can stay on the counter during cool seasons.
This is the best for the buck option. I've had one for ~40 years. Perfect hassle free rice. Just fill the center with water, put your rice and water in the bowl, (one to one ratio), or use stock, add spices etc. It won't keep warm for 24 hrs though.
The steamer basket is great for all veggies. Steaming leftovers,
proxy-image (40).jpeg
wings, ribs, chicken keeps them moist. About $40 on amazon.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
I was married to a woman who came from Vietnam at a young age for 25 years. So we made lots of Asian dishes and had a huge one. Great devices. Now me and my partner bought a smaller one. They're too good not to use them if you use rice for dishes.

-You have to get to know how to make rice in the pot you got.
-Never go by the instructions on the rice packaging.
-Just buy the plainest rice in a bag you can.
-A very important step is to always rinse the raw rice multiple times before cooking. Until most of the cloudiness goes away.

The link below is what we use now. Very easy clean up, and here are the instructions I typed up for ours in the picture.

IMG_5704.jpeg

Link to Rice Maker on Amazon

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
1 part rice to 2 parts water (use a little bowl to measure, for example)

Pinch of salt

Bring pot with lid on it to a roiling boil

Do not remove the lid

Reduce heat to very minimum, enough to keep a light simmer going (our electric stove goes from 1-12, I turn it down to just below 3)

Leave it until a lot of little holes form all over the area of the rice

Turn the heat off, leave the lid in place

Just leave the pot a while longer, doesn't really matter how long, maybe five minutes. You could also just eat it then.

Done

I've had a few rice cookers in my day, hard to think of a more superfluous kitchen gadget unless you cook a LOT of rice

I would like to someday have an original bamboo rice cooker, though, just to mess around a bit

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I appreciate the responses although many didn't read the OP. But I did get many good leads on appliances my housemate can use!

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
I was married to a woman who came from Vietnam at a young age for 25 years. So we made lots of Asian dishes and had a huge one. Great devices. Now me and my partner bought a smaller one. They're too good not to use them if you use rice for dishes.

-A very important step is to always rinse the raw rice multiple times before cooking. Until most of the cloudiness goes away.

The link below is what we use now. Very easy clean up, and here are the instructions I typed up for ours in the picture.

View attachment 1018135

This IS the way, Dented. Trust me.

Fire and forget. No sticking. Perfect.

Allows you to tend to other things like cooking up the beef and broccoli, or fried rice ingredients, and keeping up with the dishes to wash.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Thank you guys for pointing me to zojiroshi…..

Now I think I need a little fish cooking grill….

Some of their stuff is neat

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter

View attachment 1018135

Thanks for mentioning the rinsing

I find A lot of people don’t really do it/know they should

I was watching some sort of National Geographic show or something where they were focusing on peoples somewhere in Southeast Asia, the lady cooking food washed the rice and made an awesome looking pot full

That’s when I had the “ah-ha”! moment, I said “S.O.B that’s how they do it!”

As a person from a western culture that was used to perforated bag rice it wasn’t exactly clear to me before that

If anyone on here doesn’t rinse give it a try it will change your rice experience and you won’t end up with a big goopy starchy mess

Or maybe I was the only one not rinsing and I’m a moron

I have that same model, haven’t had an issue yet and is fine for my needs, although after looking at that one website I’m kind of tempted to get one of the fancy models

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
There are lots of smart u-beaut models around now but I have got the most mileage out of an old single switch model something like this which I have used for nearly 20 years:
cookware-ricecooker-national-nsr42hn_lg.jpg

In it I cook rice, semolina, polenta, quinoa, bulgar, steel cut oats, couscous, buckwheat, pearl barley, wild rice -- basically any cereal/psuedo cereal that can be cooked via an absorption principle. You just need to know the ratio of liquid to grain, let it cook and then leave it for a bit of time after it turns off before serving. Some grains do better with a longer sweating period after the unit switches off such as cornmeal, seomlina, oats and buckwheat. It is one of the most useful things in my kitchen. I also have the Instant Pot but I don't use it very often.

You can also do pilafs with vegetables, plus meat or polutry peices added in and make many one pot type meals.

Last edited:

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

First off, be cautious with letting rice 'sit out' or reheating several times. There are some bad bacteria that have gotten many rice sitters super sick. Be cautious and research what you may get into.

Second, method I learned does not need much pot watching, so a rice cooker is way too much.

Pot with tight fitting/factory lid
Put what rice you want in it
Fill water until the rice is covered by the thickness of your finger. A little more if you want more damp rice or it's brown rice.
Bring the pot to a boil (5mins), stir, put the lid on, shut the heat off and leave it set 20 minutes.
No peaking, you duck.
Open and fluff with a fork or spoon.

You can add lentils to the rice, same water measuring method at the start.