1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ric vs Dynasonics vs TvJones !

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ultrasun, Nov 24, 2020.

1. ultrasun

ultrasun TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I'm down the pickup rabbit hole, help me out!
    I'm thinking of a Thin line with that kind of pickup swap. A beautiful, semi-hollow, gritty/twangy sound...They all seem pretty damn close soundwise (from youtube vids anyway).
    For those of you who happen to know these pickups, how would you describe them? What would be the main differences? From your own experience, what should I be aware of when considering those 3?
    Thanks for your input!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I vote for TV Jones!
    Great sounding pickups!

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

By Ric you mean Rickenbacker pickups?
    If so I had a 330 with the original pickups, and swapped them for toasters.
    And I currently own a 6120 with dynasonic pickups.

The Ric toasters are really thinner and janglier than the other two.
    Between the « modern » Ric and the dynasonics, as far as I remember, the former had less attack than the dynas, and had more mids.
    Dynasonics are really percussive, and they have a lot of bottom AND a lot of high end.

As for the TV Jones, do you mean Filtertrons or T-armond, which are their take on dynasonics? If you mean T-armonds, I’ve never tried them but they are supposed to have a bit more mids and to be more balanced between neck and bridge PU.

I would personally go the dynasonic route, and choose between brands according to budget and opportunity.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The older Ric high gains were really wound hotter, the newer ones are more like toasters. There are some copies of the toasters which are actually humbuckers. And there are Ric humbuckers, the tops are a black rectangle.

5. ultrasun

ultrasun TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Oops, I haven't received notifications for that thread, so I assumed noone was responding... sorry.
    Yeah, by Ric I meant Toasters, and by TvJones I meant the classic ones...
    I'm thinking maybe a Tv Jones classic for the neck, and a Dynasonic for the bridge. The typical western spaghetti sound seems to be a bridge pickup job, and I can still get the neck goodness of a Tv Jones...
    Keep the feedback coming on those!

6. EsquireBoy

Ok, so a Ric toaster would be too unbalanced with the other two IMO. They are really thin sounding pickups. They’re great but they are really special.

The 6120 Eddy Cochran signature mixes a bridge dyna and a neck P90, and many love the tones it offers. So I guess you could mix a dynasonic bridge with a tv jones classic neck pickup.
    The usual option is putting the humbucker in the bridge position, but your idea could give an interesting palette of tones too.

7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I had the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop make these for one of my Ric 360 projects.

They're supposed to be Hot P90s in Toaster covers. They sound incredible. Bright and spanky at the bridge. Rick and full at the neck. The neck position has a real Les Paul vibe to it.

Body Front.jpg

ultrasun and radiocaster like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have one LP guitar with a P90 (humbucker sized) bridge pickup and Dynasonic (humbucker sized) in the neck. That's a fun set of tones out of that guitar. From raunchy bar room brawl to nice cleans.

My vote is to mix and match.

Lower kohm for your neck pickup and higher output for the bridge.

ultrasun likes this.
  9. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Well Dynasonic style pickups are typically going to be single coils. I also like @EsquireBoy 's explanation of how they sound. I think you can find a decent amount of demos of Thinline teles with TV Jones filtertrons in it. I can only think of one tele that used Dynasonics in it and it was a shortscale tele and not hollow (I think). I'd really have to search to remember it's model name.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  10. EsquireBoy

Bill Frisell uses one custom made for him, and he sounds great on it:

11. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

@EsquireBoy and this wasn't the model I was thinking of:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.