Ric Combo Style Build

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
My Rosser body came today. Feels great, looks wonderful. Routed for P90 pickups, hardtail Strat bridge and a Strat style neck pocket.

I need to pick up some sandpaper and shellac for prep. I then have white Milk Paint as a base coat with sky blue Milk Paint to go over that. Hoping to finish with wipe on poly once that is all cured.

Pics or it didn’t happen.
7B06AA33-BFED-4D41-8877-618F7B9D0EBD.jpeg
EEC26BFE-C468-4568-AFBA-C292B26F84DE.jpeg
AFEA776A-98DF-4F6C-B600-B86F87C929F8.jpeg

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
Great project.

I love the Rivolta stuff. Still can't believe he hasn't been sued by Rickenbacker.

View attachment 939539
That’s beautiful. There’s a few places that make this body shape now! I was pumped to find a 3x3 headstock that isn’t too far off from a Ric shape also. It’s my first time finishing anything, so hoping it turns out reasonably well. Biggest thing is if it plays well!

Reynman

TDPRI Member
The fireglo is a rosser ash body and Warmoth neck (bubinga fretboard). Sprayed by myself with rattle cans from StewMack (heritage cherry and amber iirc).

the Sapele is all handmade

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
The fireglo is a rosser ash body and Warmoth neck (bubinga fretboard). Sprayed by myself with rattle cans from StewMack (heritage cherry and amber iirc).

the Sapele is all handmade
That’s some amazing work. My Rossetti body is pine, the grain on your ash looks wonderful.

You made quite the body and neck! Maybe one day I’ll get there.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
Four coats in. Planning to leave it till Monday and sand it well to 400 to take care of a few small things I saw. Then do 2 very light coats before putting some wipe on poly on it. Pretty happy with the Real Milk Paint. It doesn’t smell at all and works great in the house. With any luck the poly will add jus a touch of gloss to it
9A54612D-61FC-4D18-A1CC-6662FD5AF86A.jpeg

betocool

Tele-Meister
Great project.

I love the Rivolta stuff. Still can't believe he hasn't been sued by Rickenbacker.

View attachment 939539

Why would they sue? It may have a Ric vibe to it, but the lack of the distinctive lightning hole, the neck pocket being at the front and the continuous cut-out from one side of the neck to the other are considerable differences IMO.

Hadn't seen this thread before... but happy I stumbled upon it!

Cheers,

Alberto

I

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Why would they sue? It may have a Ric vibe to it, but the lack of the distinctive lightning hole, the neck pocket being at the front and the continuous cut-out from one side of the neck to the other are considerable differences IMO.

Hadn't seen this thread before... but happy I stumbled upon it!

Cheers,

Alberto

I
Because it's a direct lift of the old Rickenbacker Combo 600. And, Rickenbacker is historically a very litigious company when it comes to others copying their designs. The only thing I can imagine is that they don't care too much about the Rivoltas because they haven't sold that model in decades.

Here is a 1956 Ric Combo 600 as an example. Obviously, more than just a "vibe" is shared by these two guitars.

1642345484281.png

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
Great project.

View attachment 939539
I like the looks of a RIC, but could never get into their performance. Horrible guitars in my opinion. They have been stuck on those old designs for over 60 years. Not like a Tele, Strat, Les Paul or whatever else in everyone elses go to. They do have that signature tone, but very user unfriendly in my opinion.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
I like the looks of a RIC, but could never get into their performance. Horrible guitars in my opinion. They have been stuck on those old designs for over 60 years. Not like a Tele, Strat, Les Paul or whatever else in everyone elses go to. They do have that signature tone, but very user unfriendly in my opinion.
I don’t think they are any more quirky than a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. They are, albeit, different. I love my Ric 620, and used to have a 610 I should have never sold. I also think for the quality they are priced amazingly competitive compared to USA Gibson and Fender guitars.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t think they are any more quirky than a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. They are, albeit, different. I love my Ric 620, and used to have a 610 I should have never sold. I also think for the quality they are priced amazingly competitive compared to USA Gibson and Fender guitars.
I never was a big fan of Jaguars and Jazzmasters either. I think if I had to get another RIC, it would be the 620 (solid body right?) I had the RIC 360/12 red burst. It was exquisitely built but a nightmare to restring and keep tuned. I equate a RIC 12 to that of the excitement of buying a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell. Like many, I was enticed by the use of the Byrds and the Beatles. However, when I got one for myself, I was hugely disappointed. Maybe I would have better luck with a 6 stringer.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
I never was a big fan of Jaguars and Jazzmasters either. I think if I had to get another RIC, it would be the 620 (solid body right?) I had the RIC 360/12 red burst. It was exquisitely built but a nightmare to restring and keep tuned. I equate a RIC 12 to that of the excitement of buying a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell. Like many, I was enticed by the use of the Byrds and the Beatles. However, when I got one for myself, I was hugely disappointed. Maybe I would have better luck with a 6 stringer.
I’d love a 12 string still. My 620 is the solid body, and it’s the guitar I’ve owned the longest. The bridge is a bit weird to get right, but once it is it plays great. I hope you try a 6 string someday and do love it. I hope to get a 330 eventually.

betocool

Tele-Meister
Because it's a direct lift of the old Rickenbacker Combo 600. And, Rickenbacker is historically a very litigious company when it comes to others copying their designs. The only thing I can imagine is that they don't care too much about the Rivoltas because they haven't sold that model in decades.

Here is a 1956 Ric Combo 600 as an example. Obviously, more than just a "vibe" is shared by these two guitars.

View attachment 940735
Well waddaya know! I learned something new today! Thanks for the explanation, I was not aware of the Rivolta's or the 600 series. I do see more of a resemblance than a "vibe" now ;). I shall not post many pictures of my bass guitar...

I wonder if they sued Brian May for using the 1-2-1-1-3 dots on the fret board (although he uses 1-1-2-1-3 if I recall correctly... he might be able to sue me! He does not like it when someone clones his Red Special...).

Cheers,

Alberto

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
Oil dried. Sorry, excited about it. Trying to document the Milk Paint process also.

Attachments

• 582194E7-4F22-432C-8CA2-D32074ECCA37.jpeg
    582194E7-4F22-432C-8CA2-D32074ECCA37.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 66651458-C1F5-45FC-BF1D-D5931926F386.jpeg
    66651458-C1F5-45FC-BF1D-D5931926F386.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 28