Rib cuts

Rib-cuts....for a tele, or just at a butcher shop?

• Total voters

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I gotta say, I cannot stand rib cuts on a tele. To me a big part of the aesthetic beauty of the Telecaster is the symmetrical thickness of the body. I understand many people like rib-cuts for comfort, but why can't it be an OPTION rather than something we're forced to buy? I mean, between the neck dimensions, pickups, and color, I'd probably buy TWO of these player plus teles in green if it wasn't for this....ok, rant over. o_O View attachment 906551

I'm not much for tummy cuts on teles either, but I'd take tummy cut over that color any day of the week :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Spooky88

Tele-Meister
And to stir the pot even more……

I prefer the “Rib” and forearm contours when using a Floyd Rose on my homemade partscaster.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Looks nice, if you like why not. Can you tell me about the tortoise guard? That looks really nice.
The guard?....uh, thanks. I had three or four inexpensive tortoise pickguards on hand when I put that guitar together, and, as you know, tortoise guards are all "random" and unique in appearance. I chose this one because A. I liked the look, and B. it FIT. Cheap imported pickguards are not always consistent in specs, and this was a Guitar Fetish body, Warmoth neck, import control plate, and Wilkinson left-hand bridge that I had to rout and mount myself....all of which led to a "not necessarily" exact fit for a pickguard. This one worked best. Thanks for liking. :)

musicroom

TDPRI Member
Cast my vote for liking and wanting the body contours. Had a talented tech add contours to one of my teles along with refinishing the top afterwards. Guitar is so much more comfortable to play now.

mike stanger

TDPRI Member
If a rib cut bothers you that much don’t buy it. But wait a minute. One day soon pick up a Player Tele and sit down with it. Cross your right leg over your left knee. Does the rib relief still bother you or is the guitar more comfortable to play than other Telecasters? Well? It’s not traditional but it’s not madness either.

That's the exact reason why the cut is there. It made the Strat more comfortable to play while sitting.
If a non-cut Tele doesn't bother you while sitting down, a non-cut Strat wouldn't either. The entire thing was nothing but a sales gimmick intended to help sell a very radical guitar, back when players all tended to hold their guitars more flatly than now.

I never notice the difference, so either way the guitar comes suits me OK.
regards,
stanger

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
I really appreciate the "tummy" and "forearm" cuts on my "parts" tele which is "Custom Shop" comparable. The stock tele forearm edge was/is very uncomfortable to me and I'm old, have a "tummy" and comfort is a very important to me. I realized I'd been playing my Strat way more than my tele because it was so much more comfortable and it was because of those two cuts. Anyway, Fender does make lots of Tele models for you to choose from without the cuts. Or maybe you could build/assemble your own from wood parts built to your specifications and the rest of the parts of your choice from any number of great manufacturers including Fender.
8y) Custom Tele Style Guitar in Butterscotch Blonde - Serial.JPG
8q) Custom Tele Style Guitar in Butterscotch Blonde - Serial.JPG

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Maybe a lot of players here are a lot larger than me, but I play sitting down, and it's nowhere near my tummy. And, I prefer to NOT have sharp edges digging into my chest while I'm playing. That's why Leo put it on the Strat, 'cause all the Tele players were asking for it, 'cause they didn't like it any more than I do

older tele players, it is rumored, if you gently squeeze the skin just below the pectoral muscle running from the sternum to the ribs you may feel what feels like webbing strap under the skin you know the flat straps used for back packs camping gear, REASON : no tummy cut !:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never been forced to buy any teles, with or without rib cuts, don't know bout the OPs situation!

Rib cut sounds like a tasty hunk of meat, not a feature of a guitar btw.

AustinPaul

NEW MEMBER!
I love contours on electrics - except for Les Pauls. They must be full weight, and non-contoured.

I have three Teles. However, one is actually A G&L ASAT Fullerton Deluxe and man I love that guitar. It's one piece of gorgeous ash with a generous belly carve and while the top isn't contoured the edges are very rounded and make it very comfy to play.

Because it was one of Leo's last designs (MFD pickups and all), and because it was built in the old Fender shop, I think of them as what they really are - Fender guitars, with a big credit to George too.

That said, the slab of my other Teles suits me fine too. And yes, I do like the traditional look of them. Especially my white blonde Baja. Though looking at my ASAT hanging on the wall with the classic butterscotch w/ blk 'guard, looks entirely traditional to my eyes, and I'm sure that, beyond just being a great piece of ash (see what I did there), the belly cut helps add to it being extremely light.

I like 'em both ways, but if I ever follow through with my Warmoth Tele build, it'll have both top and back carves.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I have 2 Teles, a James Burton Standard and a Modern Player. The MP has the cut and I find it to be much more comfortable...

of coarse you do. You are aware of that which is connect to you below the ears and above the zipper, it's not strange at all. perfectly normal.

Matt Evcar

TDPRI Member
I use to own a Les Paul which I found uncomfortable in the rib area. I sold it and bought a strat which I found really comfortable and a pleasure to play.

When I looked into buying a tele, I was convinced I needed a belly/rib cut but, in the end got one with the traditional slab body. I couldn't be happier with it. Both the strat I own with the cut and the tele without are great and cause no issues.

It could be that as I got more experienced I lengthened the straps a bit... Not much as I don't hang my guitars low and maybe changed how I position them.

Either way, get what works for you but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't actually an issue.

GK34

Tele-Meister
Doesn't really bother me. Kind of like the 9.5 radius. Just makes the guitar a little easier to deal with. My main Tele has the traditional body, and it's my go to guitar. However, when I pick up me Player Series, it is significantly more comfortable.