Rib cuts

Rib-cuts....for a tele, or just at a butcher shop?

• Total voters

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I gotta say, I cannot stand rib cuts on a tele. To me a big part of the aesthetic beauty of the Telecaster is the symmetrical thickness of the body. I understand many people like rib-cuts for comfort, but why can't it be an OPTION rather than something we're forced to buy? I mean, between the neck dimensions, pickups, and color, I'd probably buy TWO of these player plus teles in green if it wasn't for this....ok, rant over. o_O View attachment 906551

No cuts for me, but I'm in the "who cares?" catagory. The cuts don't bug me, and there's nothing aesthetically unpleasing about them IMO. I just don't need them. The body is small enough. Now if the Stratocaster had no cuts way back when, that'd be a different story.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I prefer Telecasters without the tummy/rib cut…I like a little push-back from my guitars…Slab-bodied Teles, LP Jrs and Specials those work best for me…but the presence of a tummy cut not a deal-breaker for me.

I have a 72-reissue Telecaster Deluxe with a tummy cut…as I mentioned, it would be better without it, but it’s still in the top three rotation of guitars.

spurcell

NEW MEMBER!
when I'm wearing one of my umpteen teles, I'm more likely thinking pulled pork & beer. For Prime Rib & a Nice Cabernet, I'd feel under dressed without my Strat.

tiktok

Poster Extraordinaire
I gotta say, I cannot stand rib cuts on a tele. To me a big part of the aesthetic beauty of the Telecaster is the symmetrical thickness of the body. I understand many people like rib-cuts for comfort, but why can't it be an OPTION rather than something we're forced to buy? I mean, between the neck dimensions, pickups, and color, I'd probably buy TWO of these player plus teles in green if it wasn't for this....ok, rant over. o_O View attachment 906551

I don't like rib cuts on a Tele because I prefer the way the guitar hangs without a rib cut. My picking hand rests in the right place without the cut (and without a Strat-style forearm bevel). The rib cut changes things just enough to make me want it not to be there.

Tom Grattan

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Well, I've never had a "belly cut" so I've never missed it. I guess people are saying it should be an option offered by Fender. o_O I've played for years and never thought about it but whatever spins your propellor.

radair0502

TDPRI Member
Comfort is overrated. Honestly, I don't even notice the slab when playing my Teles. Also, it's never even discussed regarding acoustics, where it is an actual issue.
Comfort is not overrated for this 70-year-old Tele player who has had two shoulder surgeries and can only play sitting down. (I’ve been playing jazz, etc., for 55 years.) After tone, the weight of the guitar is my next priority. I think Tele’s are the coolest looking guitars in the world… the belly cut makes it look even cooler because I know I can play it. (Before I discovered Tele’s, they were the ugliest twang machines on the planet.) The correct answer above is: “Who cares?” When I was a kid, I was inspired by those “geniuses,“ who could play by ear. That was my only goal as a guitar player… it took about 40 years to become confident in my ability to allow the music to play me. And that’s what it does today… through the grace of God. Even though I was a music major for two years (smoking dope, not studying... but hours of sober practice.), and know the value of the pentatonic scale and the circle of fifths… 99.99% of ALL my learning was turning on the radio and seeing if I could find a right note. Now there’s context for a discussion… “Tummy cuts,“ not so much. I’m actually just jealous that I need contours and you don’t.
Dios te bendiga.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Who crosses their legs when playing?

This guy? But what does he know...

And no, there's no belly cut on that Tele. You can tell by the look on his face. It's SO uncomfortable.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 01.22.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 01.22.02 PM.png

I like vintage spec, and that includes flat-body Teles.

radair0502

TDPRI Member
I do, but I play mostly jazz and pop music so I usually sit while playing which makes the Jazzmaster the most comfortable and balanced from the Fender line up.
ALTHOUGH... my choice was the G & L Doheny V-12... I am a dyed in the wool Tele player, but at 70, this is the first guitar I can truly call a masterpiece of tone, comfort… and aesthetics (looks cool).

Attachments

• 5870533A-74A1-4D83-97BC-77EFD42D35DC.jpeg
    5870533A-74A1-4D83-97BC-77EFD42D35DC.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 28

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I think contours for the Tele are a great thing - - if you find they make the instrument more comfortable for you. And even for those who fancy themselves Leo purists, you've got to ask how many changes and innovations he'd have made to his products by now. You can't tell me he wouldn't have had interest in the new bridge designs that have appeared, for instance. I don't think the Tele has ever stopped evolving. Most of the "modern" features were simply responses to things players wanted. Like in the old days.

radair0502

TDPRI Member
Many people are able to play arch top and acoustic guitars sitting down and there is no need for a bevel on the back. I play a J45 sitting down with no discomfort.

I don’t understand the “dig into your ribs” part… y’all must be shaped differently than I am or you are gripping the guitar in a death grip bear hug.

Tummy cuts and hollow body guitars don’t work well together... lest you get a, “tummy hole.” (Now that will dig into your ribs.)
Pic: Best SS amp (with Raezers Edge cab), you can buy imho... using it 15 years without one problem. Not completely true… I had to blow the dust off the pots once ;-)
If too expensive, Quilter might be an alternative.

Attachments

• 738D9616-80F6-4517-B0E9-43AEB80CF33F.jpeg
    738D9616-80F6-4517-B0E9-43AEB80CF33F.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 27

Telecentric

Tele-Holic
Comfort is not overrated for this 70-year-old Tele player who has had two shoulder surgeries and can only play sitting down. (I’ve been playing jazz, etc., for 55 years.) After tone, the weight of the guitar is my next priority. I think Tele’s are the coolest looking guitars in the world… the belly cut makes it look even cooler because I know I can play it. (Before I discovered Tele’s, they were the ugliest twang machines on the planet.) The correct answer above is: “Who cares?” When I was a kid, I was inspired by those “geniuses,“ who could play by ear. That was my only goal as a guitar player… it took about 40 years to become confident in my ability to allow the music to play me. And that’s what it does today… through the grace of God. Even though I was a music major for two years (smoking dope, not studying... but hours of sober practice.), and know the value of the pentatonic scale and the circle of fifths… 99.99% of ALL my learning was turning on the radio and seeing if I could find a right note. Now there’s context for a discussion… “Tummy cuts,“ not so much. I’m actually just jealous that I need contours and you don’t.
Dios te bendiga.

Well, my comment was somewhat facetious. But the point is that a slab Tele is much more comfortable to play, both against ribs or where the forearm meets the body than most any acoustic. Same with my 335. So I don't see a reason to modify the tool. I do appreciate the feeling of how well my Strat hugs my side due to the contours, and wouldn't replace it with a slab body Strat style body for anything. So I guess i just tend to adapt my playing style to the guitar in hand rather than vise versa.

Surf Green

TDPRI Member
Part of the appeal of a tele is the slab body. I don't find belly cuts more comfortable and arm bevels are usually in the wrong position for my preferred playing position.

Tele Plucker

Tele-Meister
I'm totally indifferent to "rib-cuts, belly-cuts, tummy-cuts"....whatever you want to call it.
However, I almost require a "forearm bevel or cut" on my Teles. It doesn't have to be as pronounced as a Strat's, but just enough to not cut into the underside of my forearm. Here's my self-assembled mongrelcaster.....
View attachment 906559

Looks nice, if you like why not. Can you tell me about the tortoise guard? That looks really nice.

Burlington Dave

Friend of Leo's

likely because options = higher $$$

noparadise

TDPRI Member
I vote for don't care. I tried a bunch of 'em with and without, and find that the rib/belly cut is a great deal more comfortable, and I found one I liked a lot that had it, so bonus, I thought. I'd have another Tele without though, 'cause obviously comfort ruins the tone. If it isn't hurting it isn't working, and I need the old "guitar digging into my side blues".