Rib cuts

Rib-cuts....for a tele, or just at a butcher shop?

• Total voters

corbo

Tele-Meister
I gotta say, I cannot stand rib cuts on a tele. To me a big part of the aesthetic beauty of the Telecaster is the symmetrical thickness of the body. I understand many people like rib-cuts for comfort, but why can't it be an OPTION rather than something we're forced to buy? I mean, between the neck dimensions, pickups, and color, I'd probably buy TWO of these player plus teles in green if it wasn't for this....ok, rant over. o_O
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.28.40 PM.png

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
If a rib cut bothers you that much don’t buy it. But wait a minute. One day soon pick up a Player Tele and sit down with it. Cross your right leg over your left knee. Does the rib relief still bother you or is the guitar more comfortable to play than other Telecasters? Well? It’s not traditional but it’s not madness either.

Last edited:

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Unless you wear your guitar on the down-low, the tummy cut is useless. I've been wearing my guitar up higher since I was thirty, and the belly cut needs to be a concave routing right behind the pickups. But since that would probably cut into the pickup cavities, the whole body would have to be thicker. I think it could be done, but nobody's going to take the time to figure out how to implement that.

Phrygian77

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
If a rib cut bothers you that much don’t buy it. But wait a minute. But one day soon pick a Player Tele and sit down with it. Cross your right leg over your left knee. Does the rib relief still bother you or is the guitar more comfortable to play than other Telecasters? Well? It’s not traditional but it’s not madness either.

Who crosses their legs when playing?

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i don't care about the aesthetic.

for me they only work sitting down, where the guitar is sort of tilted on your leg and the contour goes right under your breast. fits like a glove. when i stand up, the guitar is no longer tilted and the corner of the contour is at the perfect angle to dig in between my ribs. with a flat guitar like a tele or 335, the pressure is distributed across a much wider area of my torso.

IMHO one of those ideas that only makes sense in 1950 something when everyone was sitting down. more ergo modern guitars may be contoured better for standing - flatter angle, more of a cut, etc. the fender thing is a very crude thing.

Last edited:

Sparky472

Tele-Holic
No one is forcing you to buy it. And regardless, there are plenty of Teles without it. I have a 2016 American Standard with this. I don’t see how it really affects the aesthetics unless you spend a good deal of time looking at your Tele from behind…

E3F1A375-0307-4D63-A9F7-F0F613D90CD0.jpeg

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I gotta say, I cannot stand rib cuts on a tele. To me a big part of the aesthetic beauty of the Telecaster is the symmetrical thickness of the body. I understand many people like rib-cuts for comfort, but why can't it be an OPTION rather than something we're forced to buy? I mean, between the neck dimensions, pickups, and color, I'd probably buy TWO of these player plus teles in green if it wasn't for this....ok, rant over. o_O View attachment 906551
I'm totally indifferent to "rib-cuts, belly-cuts, tummy-cuts"....whatever you want to call it.
However, I almost require a "forearm bevel or cut" on my Teles. It doesn't have to be as pronounced as a Strat's, but just enough to not cut into the underside of my forearm. Here's my self-assembled mongrelcaster.....
upload_2021-10-6_13-33-29.jpeg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Another alternative is curve reduction of the mounting surface via exercise and diet.
So true. Since some troubling health issues have forced me into a life of moderation, I'm down below 190 for the first time since I can't remember when. So I'm not calling it a tummy cut on my Strats. It's rib relief.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So true. Since some troubling health issues have forced me into a life of moderation, I'm down below 190 for the first time since I can't remember when. So I'm not calling it a tummy cut on my Strats. It's rib relief.
"Rib Relief" is also something I experience twelve hours after gorging myself on BBQ.....;)

Mike Simpson

Doctor of Teleocity
I do not like the belly cut or rib cut and I don't feel it adds any sort of comfort. The problem I have with them is that when playing standing it allows the guitar to tilt back at the top and encourages the bottom to tilt out changing the angle of the fretboard to the fretting hand.

But, I have played so many gigs with a standard tele shape that anything else feels kinda weird.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I can go either way, with or without. The ones I have added (belly cut and forearm cut) are much shallower than what you see off the shelf. Looks more subtle and is all that is really needed.